Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 03:24 PM

37 posts, read 163,156 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am new to this site, so forgive any ignorance. I posted this in Columbus, but I didn't know if that was the correct place to post it, so I'm doing it here again:

Anyway, I had my son 9 months ago, and I had started losing weight after the pregnancy by trying to eat healthier and exercise. 2 months after giving birth, I started using an IUD Birth control, and it caused me to gain 40 lbs in 3 months! I didn't even gain that much weight for the pregnancy! I'm a chubby girl anyway, and before the pregnancy I started off at 160, now I am 198 lbs. It's horrifying. I have changed my eating habits, which that started before the pregnancy, and I work out when I can-which it does fluxcuate, when I have time I work out between 2-4 times a week, but I play with my VERY active little boy on top of that, and I have yet to shed a single pound! I've never been this big in my life, and I'm only 5'4 so I'm way over where I should be. Does anyone have any advice? I've heard phentermine and adipex do wonders, but my ob states they can't prescribe it because they can't follow up on it, and I don't know what doctors I can go to around here to get the pills-I still need to find a family doc. I've heard of sites online, but every thread I've come across that promotes certain sites seems to have 2 or more other threads stating those sites are fake. Can anyone help me? Please? I'm desperate, this is really making me depressed.Any and all help is appreciated., thank you thank you thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Don't use pills. Learn healthy eating. Especially since you are a mom. Its a good tool to pass down to the little one. Google : Spark people diet. Its free and will totally set you up on a plan. If it is any comfort most women are out of wack weight wise for a year post baby and then things start to return to normal. I would get your thyroid tested too just to make sure the baby did not throw that off. Try the spark diet first though. If you are not losing on that plan by three months, thyroid test time.
You weight may come off a little more slowly due to having the baby. Don't worry about it.

Those pills can have a lot of side effects that can be avoided by doing it the pill free way. You feel better too on good food vs. starving and crazy on some sorta drug high that you crash from.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Well that's the thing, I AM eating healthier and have been since before the baby was born. I stick to chicken, fish, and tofu, lots of leafy greens-when I was pregnant I craved salads like no other - very limited dairy, I eat oatmeal, granola, low fat yogurts, and fruits. I don't eat past 5:30, and I space is all out, small meals throughout the day.This combined with exercise should, or so I thought, make a difference. And it kept me healthy through my pregnancy and I lost weight after until I got that IUD put in. Now I can't shake this horrible weight!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
I just did a search for IUD and weight gain and got a LOT of hits on the Mirena IUD
Mirena weight gain-My experience -

I would sure check into it; the doctor called me a "fertile myrtle"- both of my kids were conceived the first month of trying and we never had an "oops" using nothing more than condoms for birth control.......they are quite reliable when used properly.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 16,256 times
And encourage your husband/partner to use contraception. It ain't right that a woman should bear the brunt of this. Good luck to you.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM

I know, I'm in that group that mirena affected I took it out I couldn't deal with the weight gain anymore. I just leanred that's why another friend of mine gained weight...her doc kept telling her to leave it in, so she did, and she left it in for a whole six months and gained 80 lbs I wanted the copper one, but my ins co won't approve it, even though they did the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I just did a search for IUD and weight gain and got a LOT of hits on the Mirena IUD
Mirena weight gain-My experience -

I would sure check into it; the doctor called me a "fertile myrtle"- both of my kids were conceived the first month of trying and we never had an "oops" using nothing more than condoms for birth control.......they are quite reliable when used properly.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I took a low dose of Phentermine for three months and lost 30 pounds. I have thyroid disorder and it is almost impossible for me to lose weight even on the synthroid. I am not on the Phentermine now, taking a break. I had no problems with it at all, but I was on the smallest dose. I had to go see my internist to get it, then she did a follow up after I was off it. I may begin it in a few months to try to lose some more. BTW I have four kids.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Phentermine, a contraction of "phenyl-tertiary-butylamine", is an appetite suppressant of the amphetamine and phenethylamine class.
It is approved as an appetite suppressant to help reduce weight in obese patients when used short-term and combined with exercise, diet, and behavioral modification. It is typically prescribed for individuals who are at increased medical risk because of their weight and works by helping to release certain chemicals in the brain that control appetite.

Phentermine is still available by itself in most countries, including the U.S. However, because it is similar to amphetamines, it is classified as a controlled substance in many countries. Internationally, phentermine is a schedule IV drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances.[1] In the United States, it is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act.

Generally, phentermine appears to be relatively well tolerated.[5] It can produce side effects consistent with its catecholamine-releasing properties, e.g., tachycardia (increased heart rate) and elevated blood pressure, but the incidence and magnitude of these appear to be less than with the amphetamines. Because phentermine acts through sympathomimetic pathways, the drug may increase blood pressure and heart rate. It may also cause palpitations, restlessness, and insomnia. Additionally, phentermine has the potential to cause physical and psychological dependence.
More common
  • Insomnia
  • Hypertension
  • Irritability
  • Nervousness
  • Euphoria
  • Dry mouth
  • Unpleasant taste
  • Blurred vision
  • Heartburn/Acid reflux
  • Changes in libido
  • Clumsiness
  • Confusion
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Arrhythmia
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Psychosis
  • Skin rash or itching
  • Stomach pain
  • Fatigue
  • Pupil dilation
[edit] Less common
  • Convulsions (seizures)
  • Dizziness
  • Fever
  • Hallucinations
  • Hostility with urge to attack
  • Irregular blood pressure
  • Lightheadedness or fainting
  • Periods of mania followed by period of depression
  • Tremors, trembling or shaking
  • Overactive reflexes
  • Panic
  • Restlessness
  • Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Stomach cramps
  • Weakness
info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine

Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I didnt have any probelms with it.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
I tried it a few years ago, it worked for a few weeks but I stopped it when my heart felt like it was going to leap out of my chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss