Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Here is a healthy dish and it tastes great

I buy whole grain Spaghetti

Take the sauce (Prego) and mix it with and pureed garbanzo beans. I throw in 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sautee chopped red onion, freshly chopped garlic (lots of it), salt, and red crushed pepper WITH my tomato/garbanzo bean sauce.

I then stir my cooked Spaghetti with the my sauce and throw in some fresh spinach.

The garbanzo beans add a nice smooth and nutty texture to the sauce and give it some substance. It has protein and you will feel full. The spinach adds some additional fiber and nutrients.

It's vegetarian too, if that's a problem, you can serve it on the side with some grilled chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
kaiser portion diet.
2 cups dairy, 1.5 cup veg, 1.5 cup fruit, .5 cup grain, .5 cup meat
per 24 hr period.
1500 calorie diet guarenteed to work.
if not, then you must face the wheel
kaiser semi fast
3 cans of slim fast (or similar substitute meal in a can) and a modest meal per 24 hours.
this is the extreme, but it works.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,885 times
One serving size of whole wheat pasta. Toss in some veggies, a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle some olive oil and mix. Top with grilled chicken breast

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Chocolate Shake
1/2 cup lowfat milk 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
1/4 cup eggbeaters 1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp Splenda 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed ice

Blend thoroughly. Comes out like thick ice cream.

Baked Oatmeal
3 c oatmeal 3 T. ground flaxseeds
½ c. splenda 3 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder 1 t. salt
1 c. skim milk ½ c. egg substitute
¾ c. mashed bananas, applesauce, or pumpkin
2 t. vanilla or desired flavoring

1/2 c. dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apples, or chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Mix oats, splenda, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Beat in eggbeaters, milk, bananas/applesauce, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Add any optional ingredients. Spread in 9X13 pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

SLOW ROASTED ASPARAGUS
1 pound asparagus 2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T best quality balsamic vinegar salt - fresh ground black pepper to taste

Oven should be set at 350 F. Take one piece of asparagus and hold by both ends and snap. This will give you a guide as to how much woody stem of the asparagus needs to be cut off (usually about 2 inches). Trim the rest of the asparagus pieces to that size, then cut in half again. Put asparagus in large zip loc bag, pour in olive oil, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Manipulate bag until asparagus is well coated with oil/vinegar mixture, then pour into ceramic or glass baking dish. Cook asparagus 20-30 minutes, removing from oven when asparagus is still slightly crisp and firm looking.

Stewed Apples
1 T. Smart Balance 6 cooking apples like granny smith, thinly sliced
½ c. Splenda ¼ c. brown sugar splenda
2 t. cinnamon ¼ c. nutmeg

Melt butter in skillet and remove from heat. Mix in splendas, spices and ½ c. water. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to medium and stir in apple slices, turning to coat. Cook over med. Heat 4-5 minutes, stirring and allowing sauce to thicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender…about 5-10 more minutes. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.

Easy Blackened Salmon
1 lb. salmon 2 T. paprika
1 T. each cayenne and onion powder 1 t. each salt and pepper
¼ t. each thyme, basil, oregano 2 T. low fat mayo

Mix spices together in bowl. Lay salmon on pan. Brush with mayo and sprinkle with spices. Spray tops with PAM. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until done.

Almond Fish Dijon
4 tilapia or white fish 2 T. light mayo
2 T. Dijon mustard ¼ c. slivered or sliced almonds

Spray baking pan with Pam. Place fish in pan. Mix mayo and mustard and spread over fish. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min

Caribbean Jerk Chicken- one of our favs! Cook extra to serve on lunch salads.
1 1/2 c. lb. Boneless, skinless chicken
Combine
3 tbsp. Caribbean Jerk Seasoning 3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce 1 tbsp. cider vinegar.

Put chicken in a ziplock baggie and put in seasoning. Shake well to mix. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Broil or grill 30 minutes or until cooked, turning frequently.

Arroz con Pollo
6 chicken breasts 1 can Italian stewed Tomatoes
16 oz. frozen peas 1 can chicken broth
12 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and cut in strips
1 t. garlic powder salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock. Stir well. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high/ 6 hours on low. Serve over yellow rice.

Greek Style Chicken Skillet
4 chicken breasts 1 T. olive oil
1 ½ c. sliced zucchini (1 med) 1 chopped green bell pepper
1 onion, sliced 2 t. garlic, minced
1/8 t. black pepper 1 can tomatoes
½ c. feta cheese 2 c. cooked couscous or brown rice

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in oil. Remove. Add veggies to skillet and sauté. Remove. Add ¼ c. water and soup. Stir until blended. Return chicken to skillet. Cook until chicken is done. Return veggies to skillet and heat through. Serve over couscous/rice and garnish with feta cheese.

Quick Chicken Cacciatore – 5 WW Points
1 large onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms ½ c. red wine
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes 1 t. Italian Seasoning or to taste

Season chicken. Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate. Saute onions and garlic until softened. Add mushrooms and wine. Cook until liquid evaporates. Stir in tomatoes and seasoning (plus salt and pepper to taste). Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked about 8 minutes.

Low Calorie PASTA ALFREDO
1 onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 cup skim milk
1 cup chicken broth 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 lb. W W Fettucine
OPTIONAL Add-ins: Fresh or frozen broccoli, cooked chicken breast.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until golden brown. In a small saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into onion mixture. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick. Stir in precooked chicken and heat through. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water. Add broccoli to the pasta for the last several minutes of cooking. Continue cooking until the pasta is al dente. Drain the pasta and vegetables, and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Split pea soup with turkey bacon rather than pork bacon is my new standby as it's nice and warm, quite filling, low cal, and reheats easily. Follow any split pea recipe. Because of the turkey bacon, I don't often use chicken stock- just water.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Wink wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Chocolate Shake
1/2 cup lowfat milk 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
1/4 cup eggbeaters 1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp Splenda 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed ice

Blend thoroughly. Comes out like thick ice cream.

Baked Oatmeal
3 c oatmeal 3 T. ground flaxseeds
½ c. splenda 3 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder 1 t. salt
1 c. skim milk ½ c. egg substitute
¾ c. mashed bananas, applesauce, or pumpkin
2 t. vanilla or desired flavoring

1/2 c. dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apples, or chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Mix oats, splenda, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Beat in eggbeaters, milk, bananas/applesauce, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Add any optional ingredients. Spread in 9X13 pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

SLOW ROASTED ASPARAGUS
1 pound asparagus 2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T best quality balsamic vinegar salt - fresh ground black pepper to taste

Oven should be set at 350 F. Take one piece of asparagus and hold by both ends and snap. This will give you a guide as to how much woody stem of the asparagus needs to be cut off (usually about 2 inches). Trim the rest of the asparagus pieces to that size, then cut in half again. Put asparagus in large zip loc bag, pour in olive oil, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Manipulate bag until asparagus is well coated with oil/vinegar mixture, then pour into ceramic or glass baking dish. Cook asparagus 20-30 minutes, removing from oven when asparagus is still slightly crisp and firm looking.

Stewed Apples
1 T. Smart Balance 6 cooking apples like granny smith, thinly sliced
½ c. Splenda ¼ c. brown sugar splenda
2 t. cinnamon ¼ c. nutmeg

Melt butter in skillet and remove from heat. Mix in splendas, spices and ½ c. water. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to medium and stir in apple slices, turning to coat. Cook over med. Heat 4-5 minutes, stirring and allowing sauce to thicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender…about 5-10 more minutes. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.

Easy Blackened Salmon
1 lb. salmon 2 T. paprika
1 T. each cayenne and onion powder 1 t. each salt and pepper
¼ t. each thyme, basil, oregano 2 T. low fat mayo

Mix spices together in bowl. Lay salmon on pan. Brush with mayo and sprinkle with spices. Spray tops with PAM. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until done.

Almond Fish Dijon
4 tilapia or white fish 2 T. light mayo
2 T. Dijon mustard ¼ c. slivered or sliced almonds

Spray baking pan with Pam. Place fish in pan. Mix mayo and mustard and spread over fish. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min

Caribbean Jerk Chicken- one of our favs! Cook extra to serve on lunch salads.
1 1/2 c. lb. Boneless, skinless chicken
Combine
3 tbsp. Caribbean Jerk Seasoning 3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce 1 tbsp. cider vinegar.

Put chicken in a ziplock baggie and put in seasoning. Shake well to mix. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Broil or grill 30 minutes or until cooked, turning frequently.

Arroz con Pollo
6 chicken breasts 1 can Italian stewed Tomatoes
16 oz. frozen peas 1 can chicken broth
12 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and cut in strips
1 t. garlic powder salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock. Stir well. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high/ 6 hours on low. Serve over yellow rice.

Greek Style Chicken Skillet
1 ½ c. sliced zucchini (1 med) 1 chopped green bell pepper
1 onion, sliced 2 t. garlic, minced
1/8 t. black pepper 1 can tomatoes
½ c. feta cheese 2 c. cooked couscous or brown rice

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in oil. Remove. Add veggies to skillet and sauté. Remove. Add ¼ c. water and soup. Stir until blended. Return chicken to skillet. Cook until chicken is done. Return veggies to skillet and heat through. Serve over couscous/rice and garnish with feta cheese.

Quick Chicken Cacciatore – 5 WW Points
1 large onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms ½ c. red wine
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes 1 t. Italian Seasoning or to taste

Season chicken. Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate. Saute onions and garlic until softened. Add mushrooms and wine. Cook until liquid evaporates. Stir in tomatoes and seasoning (plus salt and pepper to taste). Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked about 8 minutes.

Low Calorie PASTA ALFREDO
1 onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 cup skim milk
1 cup chicken broth 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 lb. W W Fettucine
OPTIONAL Add-ins: Fresh or frozen broccoli, cooked chicken breast.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until golden brown. In a small saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into onion mixture. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick. Stir in precooked chicken and heat through. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water. Add broccoli to the pasta for the last several minutes of cooking. Continue cooking until the pasta is al dente. Drain the pasta and vegetables, and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce.
thanks!! Ever think of writing a cookbook??!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM

11 posts, read 29,290 times
Default Tips to lose weight

Hi,claud605
I am not giving you any recipe regarding the weight lose but i suggest you the plan that i follow for loosing weight in very healthy way.
I usually eat crashed diet with diet pills because in dieting we loose to eat all nutrient ,tats way diet pills help to over come all nutrient value.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Dude. I just made this one day randomly. Turns out my wife loved it.

Take a chicken breast.
Cover it in tomato paste that you've mixed with minced garlic or garlic paste.
Put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350.
Take it out. Sprinkle cheese on it.
Serve it with steamed veggie (we like broccoli).

Could. Not. Be. Easier.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude. I just made this one day randomly. Turns out my wife loved it.

Take a chicken breast.
Cover it in tomato paste that you've mixed with minced garlic or garlic paste.
Put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350.
Take it out. Sprinkle cheese on it.
Serve it with steamed veggie (we like broccoli).

Could. Not. Be. Easier.
Yum... love doing that! Also, try doing the same with salsa if you like some heat. I normally dice up some zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, and whatever else is on hand and mix it with salsa, squirt some lime juice and hot sauce in, and cover a chicken breast with it. I either eat it plain (because there are enough veggies in the "sauce") or put it over salad.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Claud- Try these CHILI CHICKEN KABOBS | The Eat-Clean Diet
They are awesome!
These are too CRISPY CHICKEN BITES | The Eat-Clean Diet
My kids will eat both of them and they enjoy them also.

Mexican Lasagna
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 onion
1 15 oz can black beans *I used the organic black beans and rinsed them
1 7 oz can of green chiles *left these out because I know my kids wont eat it
1 15oz can of corn *Used almost 2 cups of frozen corn fixed to the directions on the package
1 can diced tomatos *used salt free
2 tbsp taco seasoning ** see below for my substitute
4 whole wheat flour tortillas
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cooked and shreaded *used ground lean turkey
1 cup of shredded three cheese blend *anyone who knows the Griffin family, knows that there was more cheese used lol!

1) Pre-heat oven to 350
2) Place a large skillet over medium heat and add oil and onion. Cook until soft. Add beans, chiles, corn tomatoes, and seasoning.
3) To assemble lasagna, spray an 8x8 oven safe dish with cooking spray#. Place one tortilla on dish. Top with a layer of vegetable mixture. Add chicken and part of cheese. Repeat until complete, ending with a tortilla and any remaining cheese on top. Put in oven for 15 min or until cheese is melted.

This recipe was in the Oxygen Magazine from November.

** my substitue for taco seasoning (also use this to make tacos)

1 tbsp of Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning
1/2-3/4 tbsp of chili powder
about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder

# I dont use a cooking spray, I have this neat toy that is called a Misto. You can put olive oil in it and make it spray like a regular cooking spray. It costs about $10 and is very handy. Pampered Chef has one similar to it but I dont know how well it works.
http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Sprayer/dp/B0002MQZ2I

Baked Ziti
1 lbs ground lean turkey
2 cups of shreadded carrots
1 small onion peeled and diced fine
2 cloves of garlic passed through a garlic press
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
26 oz of crushed tomatoes (I used diced and salt free)
1 cup of low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
8 oz brown rice penne or other whole grain pasta
2 Tbsp fresh Basil leaves chopped fine (I used dried and about 1 1/2 tbsp)
1/2 cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese (I think I used about a cup since my kids love cheese), cheese is optional

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook ground turkey, carrots, onion and garlic until browned. Add chicken or vegetable stock, tomatoes, pasta and basil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or until pasta is al dente.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare baking dish with a light coating of cooking spray. Turn pasta mixture into baking dish. Press down lightly with the back of the spoon.

Sprinkle with cheese (if you use it). Place in oven and bake for 20 min or until cheese is melted and golden.

Nutritional info: 1 cup serving; 286 calories, fat 9g, protien 21g, carbs 25g

*From The Eat-Clean Diet for Family and Kids

Last edited by ladybug07; 02-02-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss