Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM

243 posts, read 1,208,021 times

Advertisements

In short I am 34 years old, male, large build. Dropping weight and at 217 lbs. I have been limiting my general carb intake as part of the weight loss, but I think I am not doing this correctly. I am hearing that complex carbs are better, but I dont know where to begin.

If I am working about 3-4 times per week, and I want to loose weight and build muscle, how can I calculate what to eat daily?

My workout routine is generally 15-20 minutes of weight lifting + 30-40 minutes on the treadmill at 6 MPH avg.

Now I do usually eat whole grain product, natural/organic. I avoid processed as much as possible and things that are "enriched". My food selection has always been on the healthy side.

Is there is a site that helps keep track of your daily food intake, workout, and lets you know if you are doing the right thing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
In short, Shaky, you have absolutely no idea what your body needs and your body chemistry is at this point.

You need to consult with a medical pro about your specific nutritional needs given your personal body chemistry before attempting to make any "best choices" about the foods, types and quantities you eat.

My approach is to consult with an ND, preferably one who practices in conjunction with an MD or DO with a focus on nutrition. Learn your specific needs and tailor a diet that works for you to achieve your goals and protect your health.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
I read something not too long ago that said that body uses complex carbs for fuel and then goes to the protiens. Protien helps to build muscle and repair it.
My husband does bodybuilding and both of our lifestyles are similar. We eat 5-6 meals a day every 2-3 hours that consists of a complex carb and protien. Eating so often helps to regulate blood sugar. Now that my husband is home, he does not get any artificial sweetners, no preservatives, no processed foods (including sugars and flours), and gets proper portions.
While going to a Dr to have them help you with what the best decision for you is, there are many who are oblivious to many forms of eating. Trust me when mine (and I have not seen the same one twice in a 8 month time period) they ask me what I've done to lose weight and when I tell them clean eating and cutting certain things out of my diet they tell me they have never heard of such before. Then when I go into detail about what it is, they are interested in finding out more. Its pretty scary they dont know more about food and nutritional value.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I read something not too long ago that said that body uses complex carbs for fuel and then goes to the protiens. Protien helps to build muscle and repair it.(snip) Now that my husband is home, he does not get any artificial sweetners, no preservatives, no processed foods (including sugars and flours), and gets proper portions.
While going to a Dr to have them help you with what the best decision for you is, there are many who are oblivious to many forms of eating. Trust me when mine (and I have not seen the same one twice in a 8 month time period) they ask me what I've done to lose weight and when I tell them clean eating and cutting certain things out of my diet they tell me they have never heard of such before. Then when I go into detail about what it is, they are interested in finding out more. Its pretty scary they dont know more about food and nutritional value.
Which is why you need to seek out the services of an ND or a DO that has a focus on nutritional issues instead of an MD.

What you've been doing is like going to a dermatologist to have surgery instead of going to a medical practice that specializes in your health concerns. Few general practioners know much about nutrition ....

Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Which is why you need to seek out the services of an ND or a DO that has a focus on nutritional issues instead of an MD.

What you've been doing is like going to a dermatologist to have surgery instead of going to a medical practice that specializes in your health concerns. Few general practioners know much about nutrition ....
Actually its all apart of a gov't ran healthcare (Tricare). You see the "Dr" that you can get into see. That is if you can even get an appointment. So pretty much you have to educate yourself on what you can then go in armed and prepared to fight for everything.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Actually its all apart of a gov't ran healthcare (Tricare). You see the "Dr" that you can get into see. That is if you can even get an appointment. So pretty much you have to educate yourself on what you can then go in armed and prepared to fight for everything.
You can consult with an ND through methods other than an office visit, and since many of their services aren't covered even by insurance plans here in the states ... you pay them for their services directly.

At the risk of offending the TOS for the site, I'd mention that there are ND's in Boulder, CO, who work on this type of remote consulting basis ... such as Charley Cropley ... or you can do a websearch for other ND practitioners. They can use the test results you've received from others to analyze your situation, or use elimination diets to focus upon your metabolism and analyze it's needs. IMO, they're well worth the modest cost for their services.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

541 posts, read 2,139,091 times
I'd recommend www.fitday.com or www.sparkpeople.com to track food and exercise...

Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times
caloriecount.com is free and has forums for both weight loss and weight gain.

I use dietpower.com software - it is set up for gaining and for loosing though not really a digression on muscle buidling but I would think a lot of the muscle buidling sites have stuff for that.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
I'd recommend www.fitday.com or www.sparkpeople.com to track food and exercise...
I love both of these sites. I am a member of small group of Sparkpeople. We meet on Saturday mornings in the food court at the mall. So far it's been a month and I believe only two of us have lost any weight.
Spark has a ton of valuable information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss