Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What you were attempting to get at was really not relevant to this thread.

I made several good points in contradiction to your point that one MUST eat less and exercise in order to lose weight. I used myself as an example and yet you completely glossed over that, which was relevant to your statement and this thread. Now, one can only get away with this for so long and at higher weights. Sooner or later, it's going to get to the point where exercise will be a given. However, by that point an individual's feet hopefully will not hurt while walking. And hopefully the temperature will not be 112 outside or said individual will get heatstroke anyway. And not to make light of this and it is horrific, but let's face it, people who go hungry in this world starve to death and DO LOSE WEIGHT in the process and they don't exercise.

Now, maybe you can focus on addressing these relevant statements instead of slaps on the forehead and hahas.
Whoa! Hold up just one minute. Not in one single place in this thread did I say "that one MUST eat less". Time and time again I said PORTION CONTROL. BIG difference. You may actually be amazed how much a portion is if you weigh it and measure it. Once again, this goes with not comprehending what has been written. On another note, I eat serving sizes that includes a complex carb and protien 5 times a day. So that completely debunks your "one MUST eat less"
Second, my post is just as "relevant" to this thread as yours is. Its purely a discussion.
As for my haha's and . I'll use them as I please and see fit.
You have your mind set and there is nothing anyone can say or do to convince you other wise.

With that said, have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Whoa! Hold up just one minute. Not in one single place in this thread did I say "that one MUST eat less". Time and time again I said PORTION CONTROL. BIG difference. You may actually be amazed how much a portion is if you weigh it and measure it. Once again, this goes with not comprehending what has been written. On another note, I eat serving sizes that includes a complex carb and protien 5 times a day. So that completely debunks your "one MUST eat less"
Second, my post is just as "relevant" to this thread as yours is. Its purely a discussion.
As for my haha's and . I'll use them as I please and see fit.
You have your mind set and there is nothing anyone can say or do to convince you other wise.

With that said, have a good day.
Well, then I guess one MUST NOT practice portion control either. Hint - eating less = portion control. Sheesh. You really don't want to talk about the fact that one CAN lose weight and not exercise (like I have) as you continue to dodge that issue, so you have a good day too.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
What you were attempting to get at was really not relevant to this thread.

I made several good points in contradiction to your point that one MUST eat less and exercise in order to lose weight. I used myself as an example and yet you completely glossed over that, which was relevant to your statement and this thread.
to what DO you attribute your 9 pound weight loss? you say youre life long WW - Ive only done WW for nine monthsa (fellow traveling with my wife, who is a member) and I lost 25 pounds (by May, hit goal, have been maintaining since), which I DO attribute to eating less and moving more. WHich Ive always thought of as the WW way. Sometimes unexplained loss can be a sign of a health problem. OTOH I suppose some people can just have large weight swings. But I know of no approach to losing weight that is supported by Weight Watchers that is not focused on eating less and moving more (eating less here meaning less points/calories, not less volume)

Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
Quote:
The answer is both, but how can you possibly understand things when you've never been overweight in your life? Why do you think there are commercials that say "check with your physician before beginning an exercise program?" For fun? No, because overweight people can't just go from being couch potatoes to sprint runners or they'll keel over. Exercise should be eased into. And believe it or not, when you are obese, your feet hurt if you are on them for too long. You can only walk so far before your feet hurt (at least that is my experience). Heck, just getting out of bed and putting on my shoes is an ordeal in and of itself some nights and I know it's the weight. So don't be so hard on those who are less than thrilled with the concept of an exercise program when obese. Now, if I had a recombinant bike it would be a different story, but I don't. And I won't join a gym as I already did that and think I went a few times. I found even walking the treadmill for half an hour hurt my hips. See what I mean?
Interesting post in resurrecting a thread that is over a year old.

But I'll respond to two thoughts: 1) Needing to lose weight BEFORE starting to exercise, and 2) (as stated by another poster) being too embarrassed to go to the gym. Here is a little story...

One of my clients (with doctors permission, of course) started to exercise and diet at 400lbs. She began with water aerobics (which she still does), and easy weight training and came to me about 6 months ago after her weight loss had plateaued. She has lost about 125 lbs. over the past year and a half. This is still a BIG woman, but to see her cranking out the minutes on the elliptical with a proud upright posture brings a definite smile to your face! The weight loss gets harder as she gets light, but she is still dedicated and feels really good about herself. She says exercise is a part of her life now and she can't ever go back. She is even starting to lead water aerobics class herself now.

Don't get me wrong, I take no credit - this is all her doing. But think about her when you think about the two excuses listed above.

PS - She started on the elliptical at 5 mins at a time. If half an hour of walking hurt your hips, do something different and start out slower. But DO SOMETHING!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Quote:
Well, then I guess one MUST NOT practice portion control either. Hint - eating less = portion control. Sheesh. You really don't want to talk about the fact that one CAN lose weight and not exercise (like I have) as you continue to dodge that issue, so you have a good day too.

So tell me, is this "eating less" (per your words)?
This is a serving size of Broccoli (1c) and a 5 oz Cooked Chicken Breast with Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, very little bit of salt with a peice (1 serving) of Turkey bacon with cooked onions with 1/8c of cheese (1/2 of a serving) melted on top. This may be "eating less" in your eyes when its really portion control. BIG DIFFERNCE. Eating less would have been what my kids got on their plates. If you want to count calories and grams this meal is 263 calories, 5.7g fat, 4.5g carbs and 45.7g of protien. This is Smothered Chicken and Broccoli. Our dinner tonight. I couldnt even finish eating the chicken. But its soooo good! I'll even share the recipe with ya!

For the other part of your quote, I have not dodged the issue. Actually I have posted that its a combination of food and excercise. Food alone wont boost your metabolism to help you lose weight.
"the best way to rev up your metabolism is to increase your body’s need for energy." http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat
Just to support what I've posted over and over: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/13910708/ns/today-today_health/t/boost-your-metabolism-lose-weight-faster/

Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,060 times
Agree that health is the most important goal.

We have become a lazy society, simply because many more folks have desk jobs than 5o years ago. Our society also wants instant gratification, and that's what fad diets capitalize on.

I guess most folks are looking for quick and easy weight loss, and don't understand that eating healthy is the long term approach to good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss