Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,224,855 times

Advertisements

I've been following a Low-GI diet plan that has really helped me maximize my weight loss. I wanted to know if anyone else is following something similar and if they snack, and if so, what do they snack on.

Almonds?
Cheese?
Sugar-Free Gelatin?
Pita Chips?

I gorged on a few of those this weekend, and felt a bit guilty, but I reasoned it with the fact that I've stayed away from refined flour, potatoes, refined sugar, etc., with the exception of my cheat days, whenever I have those.

For my Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, I try to keep it clean with vegetables, meats and legumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,171,049 times
Have you ever heard of the snack line:

Dried Vegetables - Just Tomatoes, Etc.! (http://www.justtomatoes.com/dried_vegetables.html - broken link)

I liked those for low carb (which is low gi too)

Some charts to brainstorm with:
Glycemic Load of Carb Foods - GI in Food Serving
Glycemic Index Food Chart

I would say go with real food like almonds over processed snacks and cheese. Cheese is really only suppose to be eaten in very small amounts and the healthy amount personally does not satisfy me. (thumb sized 2oz-er)

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

270 posts, read 486,429 times
I'm struggling with the same problem...I can come up with low-carb MEAL ideas (just made a low-carb meatloaf for the first time EVER!!! Sorry, I really hate cooking so I'm excited because it was so easy and turned out ok!), but snacks are kinda hard. Fruits and veggies are always good snacks, but for one thing, they just don't stick for long, and for another, I usually run out of produce about the same time as I run out of money :/ Cooked veggies like beans are kinda awkward snacks...So I've wound up eating pistachios or almonds, or even just a spoonful of peanut butter (crunchy!).

Any suggestions for low-carb desserts?? I don't like Jello and that seems to be the most common suggestion. Only other thing I can think of is fruit w/sugar-free whipped cream.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,171,049 times
Low Carb Dessert Recipes - Sugar-Free Desserts - Desserts for Atkins, South Beach, Zone, etc

It has cakes, pies, cookies etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM

270 posts, read 486,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

Thanks, that will help if I can stand to make myself cook The apple almond thing looks super yummy!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM

15,787 posts, read 21,296,886 times
Just be careful with the nuts- it's easy to overdo it since they are so calorie dense.

I pop snap peas like they're candy. Pretty much any veggie is good for snacking. If you don't mind a bit more prep, roasted chickpeas are DELISH. You can play around with the seasoning.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 PM

622 posts, read 1,658,539 times
there are low carb forums out there too that are FULL of amazing ideas.. LC is one of my favorite and most successful eating plans, AND I always feel better when I do it.. however, having an SO who eats anything and everything and wont settle for anything less makes it a little difficult.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:35 PM

5,617 posts, read 15,472,092 times
hard boiled eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, whipping cream add splenda, pork rinds, sugar free jello, there is many low carb stores on line. My favorite is Linda's low carb store!!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,224,855 times
Thank you all for the information. I have sunflower seeds that I'm snacking on, but I'm trying to be careful! I also buy those packets of Tuna. My favorite is the Hickory Smoked tuna from StarKist.
Again, thank you for all your ideas! Keep em coming!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,511,429 times
Very carefully measured nuts and seeds - they can add up REAL fast. Unsalted to avoid the sodium.

Also not low carb is fruit. Try to eat low glycemic like dark berries but I will also eat other fruits based on potassium for the day.

I like the prepacked dry tuna but it is all too high in salt for me...... though I do eat a good bit of the low sodium canned tuna.

I actually loose better eating complex carbs than fats given the same calorie amount. [I have played with balance] - no interest in going LC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss