Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

Well I finally took the plunge and joined WW. I did it for a few reasons. The main one being that my mother is overweight and because of it, she can't walk. Her knees are wrecked. My knee has been bothering me, so I went to an orthopedic doctor and he said that my knees are in great shape but I need to keep my weight down. I'm not even that fat, although this is probably the biggest I've ever been besides pregnancy. I want to lose about 25 pounds and keep it off, so I thought WW would help me kick start a lifestyle change. Anyhow, I'm really really really hungry... will it get easier? I'm only allowed 22 points a day and I already burned through 13 of them. Will my body adjust to the lack of food or am I destined to be hungry forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
You need more water when you cut cals. Chug 16 oz of water and see how you feel. I think hunger is the strongest in the first month of dieting and then when you increase you food to maintain. After you maintain a loss it gets easier with time. I still sometimes overserve my portions and my natural hunger shuts off the eating now for me. I think it took over a year for that to really set in where it was happening more often than not. Still get the pms munchies though! LOL

Being hungry is better than not being able to walk! Keep telling yourself that.

Try to plan out your day so you can space you meals evenly. Eating that way keeps the blood sugar even and makes the hunger less intense. It may be slightly constant but you don't get that swing of "oh my god I am going to eat a whole cow if I don't have something RIGHT NOW!"

Maybe trying taking a fiber supplement, multivitamin and drink more water (16 oz with every meal, 8oz with every snack). If you still feel really hungry cut back if not out all sugar free foods. Whole foods will keep you fuller longer too.Pick high fiber veggies/fruit with every meal as much as possible.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Give yourself time to adjust. I've found that keeping your head in the game is the hardest thing. I've learned to readjust my thinking. Instead of feeling deprived of things you were used to eating, think that you are giving a gift to yourself and being more empowered.

Instead of thinking, "What's the most I can eat and get away with it?", think "What's the least I can eat and be satisfied?" Although there are no bad foods, I still think of some foods as if they are an enemy trying to sabotage me, and I don't let them win.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
I've found the best way to regulate one's weight is not by buying some snake-oil stuff or by following some plan. It is by eating healthy and natural food, exercising, and listening to your body. Stop eating sugar, trans-fats, stuff full of sodium, and high-fructose corn syrup all-together. Start ingesting veggies, fruit, nuts, lean meat, and water. Move every day. When I started doing these things my body and how I felt just changed considerably. Granted, I had the exact opposite problem that most people have - I was underweight. When I cut out the crap, ate real food, and started moving I put on twenty pounds of muscle.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I've found the best way to regulate one's weight is not by buying some snake-oil stuff or by following some plan. It is by eating healthy and natural food, exercising, and listening to your body. Stop eating sugar, trans-fats, stuff full of sodium, and high-fructose corn syrup all-together. Start ingesting veggies, fruit, nuts, lean meat, and water. Move every day. When I started doing these things my body and how I felt just changed considerably. Granted, I had the exact opposite problem that most people have - I was underweight. When I cut out the crap, ate real food, and started moving I put on twenty pounds of muscle.
If you eat in a healthy way - that is mostly unprocessed fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts and vegetable oils (preferably raw); minimal meat (3 ounces twice a week) and cut out dairy, you will lose weight. Plant based foods have a lot of great fiber that fill you up and keep you full. iwonderwhy2124 is right, even though WW has a good record, behavior and diet modification is the only long-term answer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Honestly, I've been on the no HFCS and trans-fats bandwagon for many years. I really don't buy or eat those types of foods. My problem is that I eat too much and I've developed a love for dark chocolate. It seems like overnight my pants got tight and my knee started hurting. It was a perfect storm of events: I went bathing suit shopping, my knee hurt, and the weight watchers office was open... so I said to myself, "let's do it and try to shed these 25 pounds". My SIL lost about 30 pounds on it and it became a lifestyle change for her and she is keeping it off. I just need to tweak my eating habits and recruiting the help of strangers seems like a wise thing to keep me accountable. I just need to find those satisfying foods and get used to not overeating.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I just need to find those satisfying foods and get used to not overeating.
EXACTLY!

Funny ropa-dope on the HFCS...

I saw a box of granola bars that had labeled: NO HFCS

I flip the box over....

"corn syrup solids"

Talk about your BS labeling!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
EXACTLY!

Funny ropa-dope on the HFCS...

I saw a box of granola bars that had labeled: NO HFCS

I flip the box over....

"corn syrup solids"

Talk about your BS labeling!
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals.

Sugar mother****er! Jesus freakin' Christ.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM

UPDATE: I am getting used to eating much less than I did before. And I'm getting the hang of this point system thing. I think WW will work for me. However, I did eat a quarter of a coconut cream pie the other day. I'm not sure why, but it was leftover from a dinner party and I just thought I'd eat it all up so it would be gone. I felt so sick afterwards. I could have and should have just thrown it away... lol. Anyhow, things are feeling a little looser already.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
How about you list out a typical day of eating and we'll see how we can help you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss