Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,573,039 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you.
The more Im thinking of it I realize that maybe 15 pounds will be tough. But Im ok with only 10 pounds. Yes I am following the south beach diet but I am allowing myself a treat on Fridays or Saturdays. I also started to work out 8 days ago. I mean, I have always been pretty active and at times gone to the gym almost everyday. So even though I took a 4 year break, It is pretty easy for me to come back, I think. Last night I ran an hour on the tread mill before dinner. And for dinner I ate chicken Fajitas without the wrap!But lots of chicken, yellow and orange peppers, onions and a little cheese. I felt full and satisfied after wards.
This morning I couldn't go to the gym as planned.
My husband had to go to work early, so I have to drop my son off at the baby sitter today, before work. I can't bring my 4 year old to the gym, so we both went out for a walk for an hour. We were kicking rocks, soda cans and racing each other. I actually worked up a pretty good sweat doing that. Not to mention I carried him on my back for a period of time because he got tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM

14,585 posts, read 23,156,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thanks to all of you.
The more Im thinking of it I realize that maybe 15 pounds will be tough. But Im ok with only 10 pounds. Yes I am following the south beach diet but I am allowing myself a treat on Fridays or Saturdays. I also started to work out 8 days ago. I mean, I have always been pretty active and at times gone to the gym almost everyday. So even though I took a 4 year break, It is pretty easy for me to come back, I think. Last night I ran an hour on the tread mill before dinner. And for dinner I ate chicken Fajitas without the wrap!But lots of chicken, yellow and orange peppers, onions and a little cheese. I felt full and satisfied after wards.
This morning I couldn't go to the gym as planned.
My husband had to go to work early, so I have to drop my son off at the baby sitter today, before work. I can't bring my 4 year old to the gym, so we both went out for a walk for an hour. We were kicking rocks, soda cans and racing each other. I actually worked up a pretty good sweat doing that. Not to mention I carried him on my back for a period of time because he got tired.
If you really want to drop the 15lbs, you need to follow that diet to the T. You'll be cutting it close enough as it is, you can't really afford to have cheat days working against you either.

Have you been lifting weights at all?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,712,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? What is realistic. I have a gym where I live and I work out one hour cardio everyday and the days I can't work out at the gym I go for brisk 45 minute walks on my lunch break. I currently on a high protein, low fat diet and I only eat the good carbs.
I don't see you losing 15 in a month, but I would suggest you start lifting weights or doing some resistance training in order to boost your muscle mass and thus metabolism. Cut into some of that cardio time twice a week or so.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,573,039 times
Just came back from the gym. I ran 45 minutes 5 miles/hr
All I can do right now. But next time I step it up a little. Had no time for weight training this morning. It will have to wait until tonight!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM

If you have to make a choice between the two, choose weight lifting EVERY time.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 PM

182 posts, read 648,792 times
They lose weight really fast on Biggest Loser.(5-10 lbs a week starting out) Does anyone know details of their diet/exercise routines?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindblownHair View Post
They lose weight really fast on Biggest Loser.(5-10 lbs a week starting out) Does anyone know details of their diet/exercise routines?
I haven't ever really paid attention to that show, but don't they basically spend every waking moment doing some kind of exercise?

That's nice if you're on a TV show (and likely getting a fat check for it) but for the average person, it's not realistic.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,712,406 times
Quote:
The show is truncated - what is portrayed as a week's worth of time passing is more like 2 or 3 weeks. Frankly I don't think anyone should emulate that show... I've seen obese people doing intense plyometrics on that show, as well as people supposedly sprinting on a treadmill at 10 then coming to a full stop by jumping off the treadmill with no cool down.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,445,362 times
Quote:
They live, sleep, and breathe diet and exercise for those few weeks on the show.

Sure, they lose a ton of weight, but MOST gain it all back when they go back home.

Why? It's not a realistic lifestyle transition. Small, simple changes are what yield long-term changes.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,331,051 times
No its not truncated...at least it did not used to be. I wondered why they lost so fast and its because they workout for hours a day. Plus the mass they move(big body) burns a lot of calories. The bigger you are the more cals you burn during your workouts. You should not shoot to lose like that. Those people are under a doctor's care. You can actually cause your organs to shut down if you try to lose weight too fast. Also fast loss can create stretch marks. Those still are not in fashion.
I don't think anyone should try to emulate that show either. Those people are working with a doctor and a personal trainer to help them and watch whats going on inside the body.

Article on biggest loser workouts:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24097852/
"Lots of "Biggest Loser" questions this week. First, to answer the most common question, the contestants on NBC's "The Biggest Loser" exercise a lot: upwards of four to six hours a day."

I like this calculator for projecting weightloss:
Weight Loss Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

I plugged in your stats. You are going to have to burn/remove over 1700 calories daily to actually remove 15 lbs of weight that is not just water. The healthy and safe amount to cut is 1000. That would give you a loss two pounds a week. Your final number on the 1000calorie cut would be 156lbs. But here is the good news....water weight. Whenever you start a reduced calorie diet you first lose water weight and fast. And its usually about 5lbs! So I think you can get pretty close if you stick to it! I would pick going higher calorie and never dropping under your BMR + cardio HIIT style.

If your loss seems to slow you should pick up the weights or resistance training if you are not already doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss