Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Going by your weight, I think you're still eating too many caloires.

I already know that eating less then 1200 calories a day is not healthy, not even if you want to loose weight. Like I wrote. I am now in on the long term thing. 1-2 pounds a week is just fine! And if I eat 12-1500 a day and burn 500-800 a day, then I should loose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
miss type from my part. I know I can't loose it a day!
You never know, some people (not me) can! I don't have the endurance to put in the time to lose 2 pounds in a day.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
I am dieting now. I need to lose 45 pounds. I eat 3 meals plus two snacks. I wake up at 6 a.m. and have glass of water with 1/2 lemon squeezed in it. 7 a.m. oatmeal w/half banana with organic rice milk. 10 a.m. ten raw almonds. 12 noon: 3 oz fish or chicken breast/veggie/salad with olive oil and vinegar. 2 p.m. 1/2 apple , 5 p.m. same as lunch. Drink 100 oz of water per day, 1 hour of exercise. You will lose 4 pounds a week.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Going by your weight, I think you're still eating too many caloires.

Find out what your RMR is..and then adjust your calories from there.

Most of all, don't give up. You won't lose weight over night, it takes time and it takes patience, but you can do this.

I find that the higher the protein in my diet, the better I feel and the more energy I have.

Buy the Calorie King book. It will really open your eyes to what you are eating or what you think you m ight want to eat.
I actually just found out that my RMR is around 1450 in resting mode . And at moderate activity, like I am now, it lays around 2200. So I should be fine.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I actually just found out that my RMR is around 1450 in resting mode . And at moderate activity, like I am now, it lays around 2200. So I should be fine.

I still say you're eating too many calories.

If you won't go to 1200 a day, then try 1400.

You need to eat less than your RMR.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I am dieting now. I need to lose 45 pounds. I eat 3 meals plus two snacks. I wake up at 6 a.m. and have glass of water with 1/2 lemon squeezed in it. 7 a.m. oatmeal w/half banana with organic rice milk. 10 a.m. ten raw almonds. 12 noon: 3 oz fish or chicken breast/veggie/salad with olive oil and vinegar. 2 p.m. 1/2 apple , 5 p.m. same as lunch. Drink 100 oz of water per day, 1 hour of exercise. You will lose 4 pounds a week.
Not everyone loses 4 lbs a week following what you have been doing.
Quote:
I still say you're eating too many calories.

If you won't go to 1200 a day, then try 1400.

You need to eat less than your RMR.
She is doing fine on calories. Going below 1200 is dangerous and can have the opposite effect. To be honest, many of your body builders (including females) eat around 2000+. Then again, I dont count calories. I just make sure I get in a protien and complex carb at each one of my 4-6 meals everyday.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Like someone has said - everyone loses different rate! Now I would NOT recommend 4lbs a week. That would be hard to sustain long term - I think 1-2 lbs a week is a more attainable goal for most.

I have found too that, as I loose weight, that hour of excercise burns fewer calories unless I ramp up the pace but oh, guess what? I am more fit so I REALLY have to ramp up the pace to burn the same calories because it is harder to get the heart to faster and I am moving around less biomass.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Not everyone loses 4 lbs a week following what you have been doing.

She is doing fine on calories. Going below 1200 is dangerous and can have the opposite effect. To be honest, many of your body builders (including females) eat around 2000+. Then again, I dont count calories. I just make sure I get in a protien and complex carb at each one of my 4-6 meals everyday.

Where did I say she should go below 1200 calories a day? I never said that. I said she's eating too many calories. Of course body builders eat that much, their bodies need more calories at rest as their muscles ( not fat) continue to burn calories.

If she was doing fine on the calories she's comsuming, she'd be losing weight. I agree that your weightloss goal shouldn't be more than 1.5-2 lbs a week tops. But, if you aren't willing to comsume less and move more, you'll stay the same weight.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Where did I say she should go below 1200 calories a day? I never said that. I said she's eating too many calories. Of course body builders eat that much, their bodies need more calories at rest as their muscles ( not fat) continue to burn calories.
I was not saying you did. My comment was in refernce to the bolded line in your quote...which is why I bolded it.
2200 calories on a moderate day for her is appropriate telling her otherwise would not be condusive to her weightloss. 1200-1400 may work against her. 80% of weightloss is about nutrition. (http://http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/06/25/reasons-weight-loss-plan-nutrition-exercise-working/ (broken link) )

As for body builders....their bodies just like ours. We need many calories to function. Is all about the quality of the food we put into our bodies.
Our bodies need fats just like it needs complex carbs and protiens. It blows my mind when my husband (who is infactuated with putting on muscle mass) sits back and says he needs low fat stuff but then goes to BK, Hardee's and places like that and loads up on the oily, saturated fats. Then again this is the same man who ate 5K+ of junk calories a day deployed.
Here is a quote from one of the many books that I keep on hand (not only for info but for the recipes ) "Whereas we may lose weight on 2000 calories per day of clean food, we may gain weight on 1600 calories per day of junk. Many, many people have messed up their metabolisms by worrying too much about calories and not enough about getting proper nutrition." This quote is by a lady who went from over 200lbs to 125. She is a female body builder, mother of 4 and looks great at her age.

ETA: Losing weight does not always reflect on the scales...it can reflect in your measurements. Which is one of the reasons I am so much for documenting your measurements.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

If she was doing fine on the calories she's consuming, she'd be losing weight. I agree that your weight loss goal shouldn't be more than 1.5-2 lbs a week tops. But, if you aren't willing to consume less and move more, you'll stay the same weight.

Kim, Im nut sure why you think I am not loosing weight? I am loosing right now an average of 1.5-2 pounds a week for the past several weeks. I Started in February at almost 185 pounds. I did the south beach thing and ate less calories. I lost 10 pounds fast. Then I stopped the South beach diet because I got bored. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start exercising and just eat healthy. And I also cut my calories even more. That's when I cut them to under 1500 per day.

This is how it works. Your resting calorie burn might be at 1450. Well, Then I also burn between 500 and 800 calories at the gym. Thats a deficit of 500-800 per day. Also take into account that before all this, I ate around 2000 calories a day, and now, I eat 1450. So that's a drop of 500 per day. This is why I loose weight.
So basically, I use to eat 2000 a day with no to very little exercise. And now I eat 1450 per day with at- east one hour of hard ( for me ) cardio and weight lifting.

So I assure you I am loosing weight.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-26-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss