Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,115,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Kim, Im nut sure why you think I am not loosing weight? I am loosing right now an average of 1.5-2 pounds a week for the past several weeks. I Started in February at almost 185 pounds. I did the south beach thing and ate less calories. I lost 10 pounds fast. Then I stopped the South beach diet because I got bored. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start exercising and just eat healthy. And I also cut my calories even more. That's when I cut them to under 1500 per day.

This is how it works. Your resting calorie burn might be at 1450. Well, Then I also burn between 500 and 800 calories at the gym. Thats a deficit of 500-800 per day. Also take into account that before all this, I ate around 2000 calories a day, and now, I eat 1450. So that's a drop of 500 per day. This is why I loose weight.
So basically, I use to eat 2000 a day with no to very little exercise. And now I eat 1450 per day with at- east one hour of hard ( for me ) cardio and weight lifting.

So I assure you I am loosing weight.
I"m sorry!...for some reason I was under the impression you weren't losing weight. :::head slap:::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,316,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I still say you're eating too many calories.

If you won't go to 1200 a day, then try 1400.

You need to eat less than your RMR.
Eating less than your RMR is bad advice for keeping it off and keeping it easy to keep off. When you drop your calorie intake lower than your BMR (which is about 200 calories or so higher than your RMR) you body starts to slow the metabolism. The 1200 number is used because its the lowest you can go and still get reasonable nutrients,fiber and macronutrients(carb,fat,protien).

______

GOM - Sounds like you are doing great. Stay on track! <---thats a high 5
Eating higher calorie makes it easier to make the transition to non-weightloss eating too! (In habits and body .)

Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,579,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Eating less than your RMR is bad advice for keeping it off and keeping it easy to keep off. When you drop your calorie intake lower than your BMR (which is about 200 calories or so higher than your RMR) you body starts to slow the metabolism. The 1200 number is used because its the lowest you can go and still get reasonable nutrients,fiber and macronutrients(carb,fat,protien).

______

GOM - Sounds like you are doing great. Stay on track! <---thats a high 5
Eating higher calorie makes it easier to make the transition to non-weightloss eating too! (In habits and body .)

OK I hear that all the time and nobody has EVER been able to show where that actually occurs. Actually anytime you cut calories metabolism slows some and when you eat more it increases some but the change is not a permanent thing. The only thing I know of is the famous Minnesota starvation experiment and they all returned to normal metabolism as far as I know.

Is there anything that supports this assertion?

Oh I do agree with not dropping below 1200 for the nutrients. You need decent nutrition and I think it is good to eat the calories you probably will eat when you get to the target weight. If you diet diet diet then get there and eat eat eat, you will gain it all back. Those I know who have maintained look at it as a major lifestyle change all the way around.

My only issue was with some drop in metabolism relative to 1200 calories. Calories drop - metabolism drops - no argument but I do not agree that it damages your metabolism................

Last edited by grannynancy; 05-26-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,591,592 times
I found that the flu was always good for a quick 5lb weight loss.

I know several women who lost 20lbs due to the stress of break up with their boyfriend.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,115,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I found that the flu was always good for a quick 5lb weight loss.

I know several women who lost 20lbs due to the stress of break up with their boyfriend.

LOLOL Oh so very true.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,316,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
OK I hear that all the time and nobody has EVER been able to show where that actually occurs. Actually anytime you cut calories metabolism slows some and when you eat more it increases some but the change is not a permanent thing. The only thing I know of is the famous Minnesota starvation experiment and they all returned to normal metabolism as far as I know.

Is there anything that supports this assertion?

Oh I do agree with not dropping below 1200 for the nutrients. You need decent nutrition and I think it is good to eat the calories you probably will eat when you get to the target weight. If you diet diet diet then get there and eat eat eat, you will gain it all back. Those I know who have maintained look at it as a major lifestyle change all the way around.

My only issue was with some drop in metabolism relative to 1200 calories. Calories drop - metabolism drops - no argument but I do not agree that it damages your metabolism................
Its not about the concern of getting it back but the time during getting it back makes it easy for gaining. The only way to crawl out of that hole is to slowly increase your calories and do strength training. If you do not cut that low then it is much quicker of a recovery and the body tends to burn fat more than lean tissue. A calorie cut for fat reduction is 200 where normal dieting is 500. Also with less nutritional support you are going to be prone to crappy skin which means more sagging, cellulite and possibly stretch marks. Sometimes stretch marks can happen when the skin does not have the proper nutritional support to recover and heal.And to get back the lean tissue you lost from the lower calorie can take quite a while.

The MN study:They were only starving for 24 weeks on that study and probably had better nutrition than what you would get on an everyday real world basis. This study you are talking about also was done in the 40's, before processed food, BHT, estrogen toxic environment. I have to think its a different game a little bit these days too. Very understudied. They also preloaded those people with over 3000 calories for a few weeks before the starvation. They were probably better nourished that an everyday person these days. If you have a nutritionally deprived body you tend to lose weight less easily and your body will signal you to overeat to try to make up for it.

These was another study I read where subjects had 800 calories but stayed lifting or doing cardio.
http://www.uniquephysique.co.za/uniq...20Training.pdf

The cardio group had a decrease in RMR.
The strength training had an increase.
That is what makes it easy to keep weight off.

I find in my body that I lean out and have to eat a lot more if I am doing anything that requires strength. Cardio would make me lose. But the strength stuff seemed to make it stick.BUT I do put on muscle easily, never had a kid, am not a hormonal birth control,non-smoker, not that old (yet.lol), and am healthy. So I don't really have a extra challenge to work around. Just through diet control I got my bodyfat readings to 20% and with a little bit of strength stuff I actually dipped too low and had to put on 10.

I did the 1200 calorie intake and would hit the pause button on my loss so my skin would tighten up. I kept putting on a few everytime I did that even if I did wean up my calories slowly. But when I listened to a body builder friends advice and stayed between BMR and maintain level. My loss was EASY. And I did not gain back weight when I hit the pause button. I still would wean up because I did not want to deal with it but my BMR+ weans usually resulted in a weight drop after the sodium bloat went away.

That BMR tip was seriously some of the best advice I ever got. Its nice that I found out about it before really shooting my metab down the hole. I don't know about you but I get very hungry when I wean up my cals. I know I have to wait to actually eat more..But if was not watching..I can see how that makes people yo-yo weight and feel very lost.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,579,508 times
pitt transplant - THAT Is a paper I have been looking for
Nice read. Excellent support of weight training during weight loss and this with an extreme diet. More extreme than I would want to do.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,861,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? What is realistic. I have a gym where I live and I work out one hour cardio everyday and the days I can't work out at the gym I go for brisk 45 minute walks on my lunch break. I currently on a high protein, low fat diet and I only eat the good carbs.
I reached my goal of losing 15lbs. You should be losing 1-2lbs a week. The process is simple.

Eat lesser calories, workout 3x a week or more, get 1 gram of protein per lbs.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 AM

14,576 posts, read 23,137,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I reached my goal of losing 15lbs. You should be losing 1-2lbs a week. The process is simple.

Eat lesser calories, workout 3x a week or more, get 1 gram of protein per lbs.
That should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. 1 gram per lb of total body weight is for those looking to bulk up or add strength.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM

199 posts, read 593,009 times
That sounds like a lot of protein. Although you can get that from eating rbgh/hormone free meat, it will get expensive. If it's not clean meat, it seems like you are introducing a lot of toxins into your body.

What about pinto beans? quinoa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss