Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,899,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? What is realistic. I have a gym where I live and I work out one hour cardio everyday and the days I can't work out at the gym I go for brisk 45 minute walks on my lunch break. I currently on a high protein, low fat diet and I only eat the good carbs.
If you are very consistent, workout every single day, eat mostly veggies and fruits (none of the other stuff or just eat it sparingly), and stay determined...You can lose it in 3-4 weeks.

One time I lost 10 lbs. in 2 weeks. But I was eating nothing more than salads, fruits, juice, and water. And I was working out 2 times a day (early morning before the sun came up and in the evening right before the sun went down). It was grueling, but I did it. I had to, to get into Active duty in the Army back in 1996, when I switched from Reserves to Active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,854,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. 1 gram per lb of total body weight is for those looking to bulk up or add strength.
Either way the key is to eat less and workout more.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,312,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
That sounds like a lot of protein. Although you can get that from eating rbgh/hormone free meat, it will get expensive. If it's not clean meat, it seems like you are introducing a lot of toxins into your body.

What about pinto beans? quinoa?
1 gram is overdoing it. Kidney health issues are even more expensive than the meat!

Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?

"Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board"

Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
1 gram is overdoing it. Kidney health issues are even more expensive than the meat!

Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?

"Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board"
That's the same crap article you posted on another thread.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 AM

Oh the one you did not respond to after I gave you some source info on anabolic continuum?

Anabolic Slow Down | The Phi Life

A 30 minute podcast by a nutritionist and gym rat that cites studies that show not all people need the same amount of protein.

Its not crap. Its just more info that you were aware of. Not everyone needs that level of protein and it can be harmful to overdo protein. Not to mention expensive or counter productive.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 AM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh the one you did not respond to after I gave you some source info on anabolic continuum?

Anabolic Slow Down | The Phi Life

A 30 minute podcast by a nutritionist and gym rat that cites studies that show not all people need the same amount of protein.

Its not crap. Its just more info that you were aware of. Not everyone needs that level of protein and it can be harmful to overdo protein. Not to mention expensive or counter productive.
Why are you talking about two different articles? The one from WebMD is certifiable garbage and the one I originally commented on. As for this "anabolic continuum" thing, I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's probably bunk based on the following facts.

1. John Barban and Brad Pilon, two of the most clueless blowhards in the industry, are pushing it.

2. Running "Anabolic Continuum" through Google brings up alot of Barban's and Pilons pieces, and not much else.

3. I ran this through the search engine of the bodybuilding/powerlifting/athletics forum I post on and there was not one single mention of it anywhere on the site, one which is largely regarded as one of the best around.

Or how about we just take a look at the authors themselves?

Brad Pilon (excellent arms there buddy! )

And John Barban

YouTube - Special Note For Fitness Black Book and Rusty!

I don't know about you, but when it comes to building muscle, after looking at these guys I'll get my information elsewhere thank you very much.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 AM

So basically you are calling a certified nutritionist and a doctor full of it based on one picture where a guy's arms are not picture perfect? LOL

My guess is that you did not even read the studies mentioned or listen to the thing. Because if you did you would of had the cold hard FACTS from studies, that people respond different to training and diet.
And then you insult someones arms when you don't even know what they are doing at that current state? Any big guy I ever knew gets softer as soon as they stop lifting. Now do you think a guy that just had a baby may be time compromised? Because I think he might. Also you did not listen to it because it was gone over in the podcast how it is something discussed in science and NOT the same re-hashed parroted non-tailored info discussed in the fitness world.

Your "facts" are nothing more than bloated opinions. Are you jealous of brad's abs? Or that JB has a cushy job designing supplements?

Looking around with your own eyes...If you think everyone responds the same to ANYTHING with exercise and diet you greatly lack experience with diversity.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,059,404 times
If your trying to make it last and not just loose water weight they say you can't really loose more then 2lbs/wk. Of course many prefer to just starve themselves, loose tons of water weight and then put it back on and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? .

Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 AM

199 posts, read 592,912 times
Bosco, you are a pretty level headed guy. I am puzzled by your ad hominem attacks. Both of the individuals you posted videos of seem to be muscular and certainly not fat.

How does posting photos/videos of them in any way discredit their argument?

What specific pieces of evidence or argumentation do you object to?

"Nice arms buddy" with a sarcastic roll of the eyes is not a valid argument.

I am willing to hear out different positions as long as they are validly argued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why are you talking about two different articles? The one from WebMD is certifiable garbage and the one I originally commented on. As for this "anabolic continuum" thing, I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's probably bunk based on the following facts.

1. John Barban and Brad Pilon, two of the most clueless blowhards in the industry, are pushing it.

2. Running "Anabolic Continuum" through Google brings up alot of Barban's and Pilons pieces, and not much else.

3. I ran this through the search engine of the bodybuilding/powerlifting/athletics forum I post on and there was not one single mention of it anywhere on the site, one which is largely regarded as one of the best around.

Or how about we just take a look at the authors themselves?

Brad Pilon (excellent arms there buddy! )

And John Barban

YouTube - Special Note For Fitness Black Book and Rusty!

I don't know about you, but when it comes to building muscle, after looking at these guys I'll get my information elsewhere thank you very much.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM

199 posts, read 592,912 times
One thing I've noticed: when you eat a lot of meat and a lot of cheese, you smell worse.

A couple of my friends are avid weightlifters. Quite frankly, on a hot day, they smell like a**. I've even joked with them about it on occasion.

I mean seriously, they reek. It's not because they don't shower or use cologne. It's all the nastiness of the "food" they're eating being excreted out from their skin.

I noticed this with MYSELF even. And I'm not a big person.

Your body odor changes (obviously for the better) for the positive when you eat clean food.

If you are an avid meat and cheese eater, and you go out on a hot, sweltery day, chances are you are stinking it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss