Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
So basically you are calling a certified nutritionist and a doctor full of it based on one picture where a guy's arms are not picture perfect? LOL

My guess is that you did not even read the studies mentioned or listen to the thing. Because if you did you would of had the cold hard FACTS from studies, that people respond different to training and diet.
And then you insult someones arms when you don't even know what they are doing at that current state? Any big guy I ever knew gets softer as soon as they stop lifting. Now do you think a guy that just had a baby may be time compromised? Because I think he might. Also you did not listen to it because it was gone over in the podcast how it is something discussed in science and NOT the same re-hashed parroted non-tailored info discussed in the fitness world.

Your "facts" are nothing more than bloated opinions. Are you jealous of brad's abs? Or that JB has a cushy job designing supplements?

Looking around with your own eyes...If you think everyone responds the same to ANYTHING with exercise and diet you greatly lack experience with diversity.
So again I ask, if this is such cold hard science, why are practically the ONLY places discussing it sourcing their information from Barban and Pilon, and why are several (yes, I checked more) weight lifting forums not even mentioning it?

Answer me those questions, and we'll go from there.

Oh, and which one of these guys are a doctor? According to their biographies, they're just a couple nutritionists. Also, if you want to start bringing credentials into the mix, that's fine too. I'll go drag out the biography of the real M.D and former world champion power lifter that I source most of my info from and we'll see who has science on their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Bosco, you are a pretty level headed guy. I am puzzled by your ad hominem attacks. Both of the individuals you posted videos of seem to be muscular and certainly not fat.
Fat? Of course not.

Muscular? Not even close.

Quote:
How does posting photos/videos of them in any way discredit their argument?
Call me crazy, but when you're out there writing books on the subject, especially when you're telling people "you don't need that much protein to build muscle!" I kind of expect you to have a body that is evidence that your methods work.

Neither Barban nor Pilon can make that claim, and in Pilon's case, if you only looked at his arms you'd have to wonder if he's ever even seen the inside of a gym.

Quote:
What specific pieces of evidence or argumentation do you object to?
I pretty well covered this, but simply put, I don't know whether the science behind this is solid, but there are several red flags already that I've found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
The doctor was in the web md article that you slammed. But why only those few are talking about it? I think that is just how new information or schools of thought are. Someone has to be first. We are not borgs. Are you a nutritionist? Are you a scientist? Is this just a hobby? (unlike most others I still think that has credit because it can bring an experience perspective.)

Also when you train and build there are phases. You don't look like you are ready to do some body building competition 24/7.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE ABOUT THE PROTEIN & RESPONSE LOOK TO THE STUDIES MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST!

No where did I say that BP & J said what the doctor said. I just said they were talking about STUDIES they did not fund or run showing the different types of response to protein intake and training. So if you just eat right and try to build, it may work for you. Its best to wean up dietary changes anyway. Whatever it is. Some people may hit the response level before 1g of protein.

What "redflags?"

Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant
So basically you are calling a certified nutritionist and a doctor full of it based on one picture where a guy's arms are not picture perfect? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Oh, and which one of these guys are a doctor? According to their biographies, they're just a couple nutritionists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The doctor was in the web md article that you slammed.
First off, you need to be a hell of a lot more clear. The bolded sentence led me to believe you thought Barban or Pilon were doctors.

Secondly, yes that WebMD article was crap. I outlined the reasons on the first thread you posted it on.

Quote:
But why only those few are talking about it? I think that is just how new information or schools of thought are. Someone has to be first. We are not borgs. Are you a nutritionist? Are you a scientist? Is this just a hobby? (unlike most others I still think that has credit because it can bring an experience perspective.)
So given the evidence I provided, which is more likely?

A) Barban and Pilon, a couple of nutritionists, have stumbled upon something that has apparently never been discovered before in all the years we've studied the human body

or...

B) They're pushing a theory which is questionable at best, possibly for their own financial gain.

Personally, I'm thinking option B is far more likely, and I'm willing to bet that in a few months you'll see the supplement companies that they work for start pushing products meant to beat this "Anabolic Continuum".

Quote:
Also when you train and build there are phases. You don't look like you are ready to do some body building competition 24/7.
I'm well aware.

Quote:
IF YOU WANT TO SEE ABOUT THE PROTEIN & RESPONSE LOOK TO THE STUDIES MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST!

No where did I say that BP & J said what the doctor said. I just said they were talking about STUDIES they did not fund or run showing the different types of response to protein intake and training. So if you just eat right and try to build, it may work for you. Its best to wean up dietary changes anyway. Whatever it is. Some people may hit the response level before 1g of protein.
I'm almost 20 minutes into the podcast now and so far I haven't heard a single reference to a scientific study.

Quote:
What "redflags?"
The ones I discussed here.

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's probably bunk based on the following facts.

1. John Barban and Brad Pilon, two of the most clueless blowhards in the industry, are pushing it.

2. Running "Anabolic Continuum" through Google brings up alot of Barban's and Pilons pieces, and not much else.

3. I ran this through the search engine of the bodybuilding/powerlifting/athletics forum I post on and there was not one single mention of it anywhere on the site, one which is largely regarded as one of the best around.

Or how about we just take a look at the authors themselves?

Brad Pilon (excellent arms there buddy! )

Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
One thing I've noticed: when you eat a lot of meat and a lot of cheese, you smell worse.

A couple of my friends are avid weightlifters. Quite frankly, on a hot day, they smell like a**. I've even joked with them about it on occasion.

I mean seriously, they reek. It's not because they don't shower or use cologne. It's all the nastiness of the "food" they're eating being excreted out from their skin.

I noticed this with MYSELF even. And I'm not a big person.

Your body odor changes (obviously for the better) for the positive when you eat clean food.

If you are an avid meat and cheese eater, and you go out on a hot, sweltery day, chances are you are stinking it up.
Hey that's exactly what happen to me. all this start it when i start to work out, and then 2 weeks later began the smell...what can i eat that this thing do not make me sweat with smell/

Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
I'm too lazy to read throught this thread so perhaps it's already been addressed but can you at least lose the second "o"? Why do so many people incorrectly spell "lose" as "loose"? It's "lose" people, with one "o". Commit that to memory please.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,010 times
Find the book titled "The Four Hour Body!" I have lost ten pounds, effortlessly. It's not the "no carb" diet, but the "SLOW carb diet." BEANS...gotta like Beans cuz they are so filling and are a main staple of the diet, and this book is rather new and revolutionary. in fact, I think I've now lost 12 pounds, as a woman in my fifties and not even working out aerobically, bad as this is.....I'm at least 13 pounds lighter than I was eight? weeks ago or so, maybe a bit less, and I cheat a tad on the diet, but hey!

One day a week we are supposed to cheat like heck...the book explains why, and it is physiological as well as psychological, for reasons that we should.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Find the book titled "The Four Hour Body!" I have lost ten pounds, effortlessly. It's not the "no carb" diet, but the "SLOW carb diet." BEANS...gotta like Beans cuz they are so filling and are a main staple of the diet, and this book is rather new and revolutionary. in fact, I think I've now lost 12 pounds, as a woman in my fifties and not even working out aerobically, bad as this is.....I'm at least 13 pounds lighter than I was eight? weeks ago or so, maybe a bit less, and I cheat a tad on the diet, but hey!

One day a week we are supposed to cheat like heck...the book explains why, and it is physiological as well as psychological, for reasons that we should.
I see that Tim Ferriss strikes again.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM

675 posts, read 1,817,683 times
I lost 10 lbs within a week, because I had stomach flu, and my family doctor gave me medicine (Flagyl). It was terrible taste, and I lost my appetite while taking it ...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,143 times
Walking is one of the best exercises for controlling weight, maintaining good posture, toning the leg muscles, strengthening bones and improving positive self-concept. Weight loss tips along with walking are the best way to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss