Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's possible you have a thyroid condition (you fit a few of the risk factors) or metabolic syndrome.
Question for Runningncircles-- Please explain: how do I fit the risk factors for a thyroid condition?
And after looking online at symptoms of "metabolic syndrome", seems like this doesn't applies to me since I don't have two of the major symptoms, high blood pressure and an "apple" shape with a large waist circumference. I have low blood pressure as opposed to high blood pressure and I'm not "apple-shaped" at all, I'm more pear-shaped with an hour-glass figure, always have a small waist (my waist is always 12 inches smaller than my hips no matter what I weigh!)

Quote:
someone of your stature and age should be eating around 1659 calories/day to MAINTAIN weight with a sedentary lifestyle. So, if you reduced from 2300 to 1800 (-500 cal/day), and you didn't keep a stringent diet (which means you may have calories unaccounted for), even if you added physical activity, 2 lbs in two months actually doesn't sound unreasonable.
I'm not sure what you meant about about my calorie count. The quote you used from my posting-- "eating 2000 - 2300 calories per day and this female was living this way for months all winter but wanted to lose weight" doesn't describe my current eating habits at all, that calorie count was actually referring to a theoretical woman in a similar weight loss scenario. The amount of 2200 - 2300 cal/day actually does refer to my previous way of eating while sedentary, before becoming so active. 2 months ago I stopped leading a sedentary lifestyle, that's when I got very active, started exercising so much. So if 1659 cal/day would maintain my weight if I'm sedentary, wouldn't that same amount per day lead to weight loss if I'm very active? (playing tennis 5 days a week for 90minutes - 2 hrs each time PLUS walking 3 mornings a week for 3 - 5 miles each time PLUS lots of bike riding.) And since I've been eating about 1700 calories per day since intensely increasing my exercising, shouldn't this have lead to a weight loss of 1 - 2 pounds per week (approx. 8 lbs per month) rather than my current results of 2 pounds in 2 months? (only 1 pound per month.) Maybe you're implying that even though I've been very active/exercising a lot, I must be consuming more calories per day than I think I am? (eating 2200 - 2300 calories per day rather than the 1700 cal/day amount that I stated?) Just trying to understand what you wrote, would appreciate some clarification.

Last edited by newbie09; 05-15-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
Go to a doctor if you REALLY feel something isn't adding up in the calorie accounting. You said originally that you admittedly "weren't on a stringent diet." I interpreted that as not measuring portions accurately all the time. You then tried to give the impression that you are on a stringent diet... which is it?

For thyroid condition, women are more likely to get it, those who are menopausal (I'm assuming since you're in your mid 50s) are more likely to get it, those with trouble losing weight, etc.. For metabolic syndrome, risk factors include aging, overweight/obesity (BMI of 29.4 is borderlining on obesity), trouble losing weight (risk factors, not symptoms).

Do you do any strength training? You could have gained muscle even if it isn't noticeable (since you've indicated you're a pare shape, it's not unlikely).

If you really think something isn't right, go to a doctor (specifically endocrinologist). It is most advisable since we can't actually give you a physical online and you keep filling in more blanks as we go on and it just gets more complex.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
You've only hit a plateau. A plateau can last for quite some time (sometimes, days, weeks and up to months, like in your case) if you do not trick your body - it is nothing to be alarmed about. Been there, done that. For the next few days, INCREASE your calories (good calories/good carbs/protein) and mix your exercise up. Whatever you do, do NOT be afraid to increase your calories! I mean this - have NO fear of it. You will NOT mess up your weight loss journey, you are HELPING it, even if you eat 2000-2200 cals/day from what you are eating now (just do not eat foolish, empty calories and watch your carbs (that they are not excessive), sodium and sugar intake closely).

Incorporate interval training/muscle confusion. Stray from your "regular exercise routine" and PEP it up and turn it up a notch or two---- again, confuse your body/muscles. We can acquire a tolerance to our exercise routine to where it hardly benefits us. If you think your exercise is boorish, your body most likely thinks so too. Get out of the ho-hum rut with it. Drinking very warm water with lemon helps to kick up your metabolism, as well, combined with the above. Try this and your scale will move sooner than later.

Since you are on a plateau, if you really want to sabotage your efforts at this point, go on a water diet. What a plateau is, is that your body is adjusting and taking it's sweet ole time. Almost like it's creating a "restore point." You can NUDGE it. You can make your body do what you want it to do by what I mentioned above. Don't give it a reason to stop and "think." Putting it into a fast isn't the most wise thing you can do right now where you are at, unless you wish to go backward and not forward.

So you understand things a bit. . . Your body has a natural cycle. .it burns Carbs first ( always), fat second, and protein ( muscle) third.

Basically - after you burn off carbs, your body goes to fat for energy and then to protein. So it has been decided that after one hour of cardio your body begins to tap into your protein (muscle) stores. This is why runners are so sleek - also this is why they eat mad carbs before a marathon, or what have you. This is also why people who eat low-carb lose so much weight is because they pretty much trick their body into burning fat first. Not a good idea if you are an athlete or wanna-be athlete, you need carbs so your body wont result to protein so fast. This is my .02 and what I have done, have read, been told, and scientifically - it makes sense.

On that note, if you would like to take the route to water fast and exercise - what are you going to end up burning? Your body will end up grabbing from your protein (muscles) more than you wish it to. You want to be thinner, well, ok - you will just look like a fat-skinny person with absolutely no definition or tone. You will be a skinny blob of yuck-o. I know you do not want that.

Try what I mentioned in the first paragraph to give your body a kick start and to stop it from going "duh" on you, it happens to many dieters, you are not alone. Give it up to a couple weeks and you will be on your way again to lower numbers (it may only take 2-4 days to happen).

Dump the bread while you are trying to get off this plateau, even the whole grain. Replace the cheese with low-fat cheddar cheese or the Light Laughing Cow wedges only. Take a 100% Whey Protein powder, you will benefit greatly and if you take it first thing in the morning, you will stabilize your blood sugar levels throughout the rest of the day. You have to confuse your body and bring it into "unfamiliar territory," while still eating healthy, per se.

There's a lot to say about all of this and I have tried to compact it down to a Readers Digest version as best as I can and as accurately as possible. The body is a complex machine, but do not be intimidated by it. Grab the bull by the horns and show it who is boss.

Good luck.

PS. Forgot to mention - once your scale is moving again, you *can* go back down to the low calories as you are eating now, but seriously think about at least eating 900-1100/day on days you exercise from the 500 you eat now (that's not healthy and upping your cals a little bit will NOT hurt you----think about this a moment...in just a 10 minute shower, we burn near'ish 140-150 calories (in your weight bracket, give or take a few cals)---you will not be holding onto your calories if you are active doing things throughout the day). And split your up to 1100/day into 5-6 mini-meals throughout the day - end your eating at about 6pm. You will be surprised at the difference. And as always - water! Water! Water! When/if you stall again (and you might, it's normal!), just repeat above.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 05-16-2010 at 04:17 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,291 times
Quote:
You said originally that you admittedly "weren't on a stringent diet." I interpreted that as not measuring portions accurately all the time. You then tried to give the impression that you are on a stringent diet... which is it?
I can understand how my use of the word "stringent" could have lead to confusion, probably should have used a different word. When I said I didn't start a "stringent" diet after becoming more active, what I meant was that I didn't follow any particular set diet, didn't do anything drastic and didn't eliminate any foods or food groups. Instead, I just ate less of what I was previously eating during my sedentary months, ate smaller portions, tried to snack less & eat less later in the evenings plus tried to eat more "healthier" foods such as veggies & fruits. In other words, I didn't try to make drastic changes from my previous overindulgent months of overeating, didn't go from one extreme to another by changing from an average of 2200 cal/day to 1200 cal/day, but I did eat at least 500 calories LESS per day than previously (started averaging about 1700 calories per day) while burning at least an additional 500 calories MORE per day thru increased exercise. And I've been keeping track of my calories each day-- nothing fancy, not online, just using pen & paper the old-fashioned way & keep a running tally of my calories as the day goes on. Yes, I've done more detailed food journaling in the past when I've lost weight & might do that again in the future, but by now, after decades of dealing with this, I know the calorie counts of foods I eat by heart! And there might have been times in the past 2 months where I underestimated how much I ate on certain days but overall, I know I reduced my caloric intake compared to during the sedentary months, that's why this slow weight loss is so frustrating!

Quote:
seriously think about at least eating 900-1100/day on days you exercise from the 500 you eat now (that's not healthy and upping your cals a little bit will NOT hurt you----think about this a moment...in just a 10 minute shower, we burn near'ish 140-150 calories (in your weight bracket, give or take a few cals)
Jeepgirl, thanks for your input about plateaus, but you misunderstood about how many calories I'm eating per day--I never stated that I was eating only 500 calories per day! (found it funny that you suggested I "Up" my calories to at least 900-1100/day!!) I did state that I was eating 500 calories LESS per day now than previously during the winter, maybe that's where the misunderstanding started?

As to the suggestions that I get medical advice, see doctors about this situation, unfortunately I don't have health insurance & have to pay everything "out of pocket" so I don't go to doctors that often. Luckily, I'm healthy overall, no chronic conditions & don't take any medications daily (which always seems to shock people when they know I'm in my mid-50s.) Anyway, in the past when I went to seek medical advice, the doctors I saw seemed to know even less about nutrition and weight loss issues than I did! Didn't seem to be aware of the latest news and findings on this topic-- and the doctors who specialize in this field would probably be way out of my price range!

This morning on the scale, looks like I might have lost another 1/2 pound. That's good news but still very tiny weight loss with everything I'm doing. At this point, what I'm planning to do next is a combination of little steps such as getting even stricter with my portion sizes, further reducing my intake of indulgences such as cheese & chocolate, being even more vigilant with my calorie tracking & making sure I avoid eating during evenings past a certain time, 7:30 or 8pm. And since it's been over 20 years since I worked out with weights or followed a formal resistance-training routine, think I'll need to find a personal trainer to get me started with that. As to my exercise, I'm actually planning to cut back on the morning walking I've been doing because it seems to be hurting my tennis! On Friday I walked 5 miles first thing in the morning, then played tennis 90 minutes starting around 6pm. What I found was that my body felt worn out-- I'm worried about over-use injuries and since tennis is what I love doing & the walking was meant to supplement my tennis, I'll cut back on the walking, reduce to fewer miles and/or fewer days walking. And should probably avoid doing too much walking on the same day I play tennis.

Hopefully, I'll get out of this plateau soon, finally lose more pounds/inches & get closer to my goal (the 130s)!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Age 55
Height 5-6 - current weight 229
Harris Benedict - 1700 calories BMR, Diet power RMR calculation 1695, Polar HRM calculation = 1584
Input 1240[avg-current, 1500 avg 50lbs ago, probably less 50lbs from now]
Output [excercise per HRM] 500 calories per day
Lost 1.5 per week for past 50lbs

Experimenting with HIIT for metabolism boost and fitness?
Experimenting with eating more protein [thermogenic burns more calories to digest] though not excessive [30% vs 15%]

It is what it is and if it is not working you need to change things. I started my journey after 3 months with a nutritionist telling me to eat 1600 calories and excercise an hour a day and only lost 2 lbs in 12 weeks. Gave up on that path -started using Diet software [Diet Power] and have maintained steady loss with rigorous tracking.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
I can understand how my use of the word "stringent" could have lead to confusion, probably should have used a different word. When I said I didn't start a "stringent" diet after becoming more active, what I meant was that I didn't follow any particular set diet, didn't do anything drastic and didn't eliminate any foods or food groups. Instead, I just ate less of what I was previously eating during my sedentary months, ate smaller portions, tried to snack less & eat less later in the evenings plus tried to eat more "healthier" foods such as veggies & fruits. In other words, I didn't try to make drastic changes from my previous overindulgent months of overeating, didn't go from one extreme to another by changing from an average of 2200 cal/day to 1200 cal/day, but I did eat at least 500 calories LESS per day than previously (started averaging about 1700 calories per day) while burning at least an additional 500 calories MORE per day thru increased exercise. And I've been keeping track of my calories each day-- nothing fancy, not online, just using pen & paper the old-fashioned way & keep a running tally of my calories as the day goes on. Yes, I've done more detailed food journaling in the past when I've lost weight & might do that again in the future, but by now, after decades of dealing with this, I know the calorie counts of foods I eat by heart! And there might have been times in the past 2 months where I underestimated how much I ate on certain days but overall, I know I reduced my caloric intake compared to during the sedentary months, that's why this slow weight loss is so frustrating!

Jeepgirl, thanks for your input about plateaus, but you misunderstood about how many calories I'm eating per day--I never stated that I was eating only 500 calories per day! (found it funny that you suggested I "Up" my calories to at least 900-1100/day!!) I did state that I was eating 500 calories LESS per day now than previously during the winter, maybe that's where the misunderstanding started?

As to the suggestions that I get medical advice, see doctors about this situation, unfortunately I don't have health insurance & have to pay everything "out of pocket" so I don't go to doctors that often. Luckily, I'm healthy overall, no chronic conditions & don't take any medications daily (which always seems to shock people when they know I'm in my mid-50s.) Anyway, in the past when I went to seek medical advice, the doctors I saw seemed to know even less about nutrition and weight loss issues than I did! Didn't seem to be aware of the latest news and findings on this topic-- and the doctors who specialize in this field would probably be way out of my price range!

This morning on the scale, looks like I might have lost another 1/2 pound. That's good news but still very tiny weight loss with everything I'm doing. At this point, what I'm planning to do next is a combination of little steps such as getting even stricter with my portion sizes, further reducing my intake of indulgences such as cheese & chocolate, being even more vigilant with my calorie tracking & making sure I avoid eating during evenings past a certain time, 7:30 or 8pm. And since it's been over 20 years since I worked out with weights or followed a formal resistance-training routine, think I'll need to find a personal trainer to get me started with that. As to my exercise, I'm actually planning to cut back on the morning walking I've been doing because it seems to be hurting my tennis! On Friday I walked 5 miles first thing in the morning, then played tennis 90 minutes starting around 6pm. What I found was that my body felt worn out-- I'm worried about over-use injuries and since tennis is what I love doing & the walking was meant to supplement my tennis, I'll cut back on the walking, reduce to fewer miles and/or fewer days walking. And should probably avoid doing too much walking on the same day I play tennis.

Hopefully, I'll get out of this plateau soon, finally lose more pounds/inches & get closer to my goal (the 130s)!
I am sorry for my misunderstanding, it was 4am and I was still shaking my stupid off from waking up.

You'll definitely learn more from a Trainer than a Doctor. I do not agree with the whole going to the Doctor thing that was suggested. Most people will just resort and defeat themselves into thinking it's a medical issue when the fact is that they have no idea how their body even works, processes and burns. The body is a 'computer.' I have a borderline inactive thyroid, and have for many years, I have alternate ways to keep my thyroid pumping and active. I stopped seeing my old Doc about it about 10 years ago. People need to stop being in such a rush to get medicated and begin to change their eating and fitness levels and stop blaming it on "this and that." The foods alone that some ingest are half the problem (chemicals, pesticides, hormones, mercury, preservatives, processed, etc). They'll spend hundreds, even thousands on medical bills, but yet won't spend a couple extra dollars on organic. The average US farmer won't even feed their own crops grown for the public to their family, with very good reason. Coffee beans are not excluded from this, they are imported and are sprayed to hell with junk, which the bean absorbs - then people end up drinking it.

Up to 60 minutes a day for Cardio is sufficient, working at a capacity of 70 to 80 percent of your target heart rate. If you’re performing cardio more than 60 minutes at this level of intensity, you’re on a collision course for muscle loss. You can integrate interval training into your walking! Walking is great, it's just that your body is used to your pace, etc. Take your day or two to rest your body, as needed. You have a schedule for exercise and that's great! Just with that alone, you are a step ahead of many people. On days you do not play tennis you can do interval training w/ walking as such:

Have a watch (with seconds displayed) on hand. Start by walking at a normal pace for 5 minutes. Walk 15-20 seconds at a high speed, put some power into it. Bring yourself back down to walk at a normal pace for 45 seconds. Repeat this 10 times. You will definitely FEEL it.

To confuse your body as you get used to that, add 5 seconds here and there to your high speed pace until you can do 30 seconds at high-speed - and add 5-15 seconds to your normal pace. You will find a pattern to mix that works for you for the long run to keep switching it up.

No weights needed. All you will be doing is walking on days that you're not playing tennis - just switching up the style of walking.

I do interval walking on a treadmill at a high incline, but I didn't start out that way, it certainly makes you sweat.

A Trainer wouldn't really recommend you stop walking, they will most likely just explain how to switch it up into intervals like above to promote faster burning and to incorporate increasing your heart rate.

Congrats on the 1/2 lb! That is good, it's better than a 1/2 gained!

You have a good plan w/ your eating and you should see increased results. You will be amazed with how eating 5-6 mini-meals the size of your palm throughout the day will help. It is easier for the body to digest. Increased fiber is great (such as Shirataki Noodles, also known as Konnyaku, you can get at a local Japanese grocery store--don't buy online at the "miracle noodle" sites, they totally rip you off, you can buy a 16oz bag of white/clear noodles for $2 at the Japanese grocery store), which will slow your insulin release. You can eat as much of them as you want (zero cals, 100% fiber, 100% organic, zero fat, zero sugar, zero sodium). You have to eat very little to be satisfied.

Extra info for you because cheese is addicting and like you, I would eat it religiously (and try not to much anymore unless its Laughing Cow or 1/4 cup of Low-Fat) because I love love love it, its my absolute favorite food sin!
Take a peeksie at these:

Fast Food

Casein the Opium of Fast Food Addiction?

Also, use your chocolate as a weekly reward for yourself. Eat 2 squares off of it. The darker the chocolate/cocoa bean the better. Get a dark chocolate that is sugar free. I know it's not the same as Hersheys with Almonds, lol. . . but you will be thankful in the long run when you look in the mirror and see how great you feel!

It's going to take hard work, will power and dedication.

Also, have you read the book, "Skinny B*tch?" (B*tch actually spelled the way it really is, not edited like I have done) Check it out on Amazon, you can read a few pages of it. It has A LOT of cussing in it - but you will laugh your butt off - because it's all SO true - and will motivate you!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
You haven't hit a plateau, that much is clear. A plateau is when your progress stops without any real explanation, and obviously that can't be the case since your progress never really got started. That's not even to mention the fact that you are a LONG ways away from ever having to worry about a plateau.

Looking at your posts here, your problem is obvious and two-fold. First off, your increased physical activity is great, but it's not done in a manner that is going to see you losing weight. Secondly, and most importantly, you don't really have any type of set diet plan. These are big problems are the reason you aren't losing weight.

Here are my suggestions.

1: Join a gym. To really lose fat, you need to hit the weight pile and hit it hard. In fact, about 70% of your exercise should be weight training. If you do this, I'll give you the exact same routine I used with excellent success and you can copy it.

2: Find a diet and stick to it. Low glycemic (SouthBeach, Zone...etc) are good. Low carb is better.

3: Buy a tape measure. The scale is a misleading *****, especially when you're doing alot of weight lifting.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You haven't hit a plateau, that much is clear. A plateau is when your progress stops without any real explanation, and obviously that can't be the case since your progress never really got started. That's not even to mention the fact that you are a LONG ways away from ever having to worry about a plateau.

Looking at your posts here, your problem is obvious and two-fold. First off, your increased physical activity is great, but it's not done in a manner that is going to see you losing weight. Secondly, and most importantly, you don't really have any type of set diet plan. These are big problems are the reason you aren't losing weight.

Here are my suggestions.

1: Join a gym. To really lose fat, you need to hit the weight pile and hit it hard. In fact, about 70% of your exercise should be weight training. If you do this, I'll give you the exact same routine I used with excellent success and you can copy it.

2: Find a diet and stick to it. Low glycemic (SouthBeach, Zone...etc) are good. Low carb is better.

3: Buy a tape measure. The scale is a misleading *****, especially when you're doing alot of weight lifting.

Negative, Soldier. A plateau is very real and very common part of it. Progress only stops for the body to adjust to water levels, protein levels, carb and sugar levels, etc. Plateaus happens at ANY stage of a diet or change in an eating pattern. Not specifically one month in, 3 months in or 7 months in, it can and does happen 1-2 weeks in. The body determines it when it happens. You speak of the South Beach Diet - in South Beach Diet Supercharged, plateaus are one of the very first things they speak of and how to conquer it when it happens. It's evident that you never read it.

You were morbidly obese for quite some time and just recently lost your weight, hardly advise from a fit veteran. Telling a woman to hit the weight pile, to hit hard - and that 70% (lol?) should be weight training shows your lack of knowledge on the broad spectrum of things.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's tennis and walking, with the exception that she needs to mix her walking up into intervals and make the eating changes mentioned. As for weights, she is in her 50's, she can do repititions w/ arms bands at home if she wishes and will get the same result of light-med weights. Stop trying to pump and bulk up women like they are planning on entering a Bodybuilding competition in the foreseeable future.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
A plateau is very real and very common part of it. Progress only stops for the body to adjust to water levels, protein levels, carb and sugar levels, etc. Plateaus happens at ANY stage of a diet or change in an eating pattern. Not specifically one month in, 3 months in or 7 months in, it can and does happen 1-2 weeks in. The body determines it when it happens.
And none of that has anything to do with why she isn't losing weight now. Read her original post. She is not on any type of regimented workout or diet for her body to get accustomed to, and even if she was, she's not going to hit any legitimate plateau at only a couple months in.

All this advice you're giving her about adding calories and interval training is all well and good when she gets to the point when she'll need it. Right now, it's a solution in search of a problem and it's just going to send the OP on a wild goose chase.

Quote:
Telling a woman to hit the weight pile, to hit hard - and that 70% (lol?) should be weight training shows your lack of knowledge on the broad spectrum of things.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's tennis and walking, with the exception that she needs to mix her walking up into intervals and make the eating changes mentioned. As for weights, she is in her 50's, she can do repititions w/ arms bands at home if she wishes and will get the same result of light-med weights. Stop trying to pump and bulk up women like they are planning on entering a Bodybuilding competition in the foreseeable future.
I love it. You call out my knowledge then post the weight lifting equivalent of 1+1=3.

Look, I'm not sure where you got this idea that weight lifting does nothing but put on bodybuilder bulk, but it's not the case. Weight training is just as important in cutting phases as it is in bulking, you simply have to adjust it to fit your goals.

Personally, I'm surprised that you of all people would think that I'd be dumb enough to give women advice that would make them look like mini-Jay Cutlers. Oh well, it's your issue, not mine.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And none of that has anything to do with why she isn't losing weight now. Read her original post. She is not on any type of regimented workout or diet for her body to get accustomed to, and even if she was, she's not going to hit any legitimate plateau at only a couple months in.

All this advice you're giving her about adding calories and interval training is all well and good when she gets to the point when she'll need it. Right now, it's a solution in search of a problem and it's just going to send the OP on a wild goose chase.

I love it. You call out my knowledge then post the weight lifting equivalent of 1+1=3.

Look, I'm not sure where you got this idea that weight lifting does nothing but put on bodybuilder bulk, but it's not the case. Weight training is just as important in cutting phases as it is in bulking, you simply have to adjust it to fit your goals.

Personally, I'm surprised that you of all people would think that I'd be dumb enough to give women advice that would make them look like mini-Jay Cutlers. Oh well, it's your issue, not mine.
You do not NEED to follow a "stringent, set plan" to eat healthy. Calorie switching, ever hear of it? People who eat healthy do it all the time to maintain and to lose. Eating right is a way of life. That is why people go off the tracks in this "diet" mode of thinking. They will feel defeated. Learning to
"diet" is not the correction to a weight problem, educating ones self by correcting their eating habits and suitable exercise is. There are plenty of "professional dieters" in this world who are constantly on the merry go round. Increased Cardio is one of the very first things to recommend before "hitting the weights hard." Good Lord. You keep up that train of thought, you will gain it all back as well.

Funny thing is - when you were in the beginning stages of your weight loss - you did your power walking and switched it up . . . I could not understand you and wanted to hang up the phone, remember? And shall I get into the way you were "dieting" (even missing meals and depriving yourself of calories) and not changing your food for life? Don't set yourself up. Case closed.

And yes, little Grasshopper, plateaus/stalls can happen at any stage the body deems it appropriate per its need. You just stop right there and go get further educated on it. Especially with the incorporation of a woman's hormones, time of the month, sugar and sodium intake, etc.

So no one woman bulks up from hitting the weights hard, eh? I, and a few other fit women I know, do have to avoid anything more than medium weights and bands and they are not done "hardcore." I have great muscle tone and definition, if I followed your instruction via the web AIMLESSLY (as you did to the OP), I would bulk. There are certain weight machines that I avoid like the plague due to the fact that they have a tendency to bulk me up. It's how I am made up. Weights are not the only avenue to gain muscle and contour for the feminine form. At this starting point, she should only be utilizing it to begin the fat burning process in conjunction with cardio.

Fact is, you are going on your own experience and screaming it to the world based on one plan you followed, created for MEN. I find that ridiculous. You are recommending South Beach, yet, you are contradicting some aspects of it off the bat, clearly showing you have no common depth in knowledge of it.

I've said it in other threads - I wouldn't follow the advice of someone who is not in shape or is newly in shape that has not been healthy and fit for very long. It's not credible. That's like receiving long term sobriety advice and wisdom from an alcoholic or drug addict who has only been sober for 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss