Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 AM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times

Advertisements

Oh Christ, here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
You do not NEED to follow a "stringent, set plan" to eat healthy.
No ****. What does that have to do with this discussion?

Quote:
Calorie switching, ever hear of it? People who eat healthy do it all the time to maintain and to lose.
Yep, I've heard of it. It's basically a more complicated way of doing the same thing the diet I'm on does.

Quote:
Eating right is a way of life. That is why people go off the tracks in this "diet" mode of thinking. They will feel defeated. Learning to "diet" is not the correction to a weight problem, educating ones self by correcting their eating habits and suitable exercise is. There are plenty of "professional dieters" in this world who are constantly on the merry go round.
Again, where are you going with this? I don't necessarily disagree with any of it, but I don't see how it fits with this conversation.

Quote:
Increased Cardio is one of the very first things to recommend before "hitting the weights hard."
Now I disagree. Weight lifting is far superior for weight loss than cardio. Weight training allows you to burn calories for several hours after your workout along with the increased metabolism required to maintained the improved muscle mass. Cardio training does neither to any significant degree.

Quote:
Good Lord. You keep up that train of thought, you will gain it all back as well.
That's funny. The guy who turned me on to my diet loss in excess of 100lbs and never did any cardio during that time. My cardio work consisted of a whopping 20 min warmup before I did my weight lifting and some occasional swimming, yet I dropped the weight with ease as well.

Quote:
Funny thing is - when you were in the beginning stages of your weight loss - you did your power walking and switched it up . . . I could not understand you and wanted to hang up the phone, remember?
I vaguely remember that night, and to my recollection it's the night I took my neighbor's dog for a walk in the park by my house. That wasn't power walking (all my power walking was done in my 20 minute warm ups) nor did it have anything to do with exercising.

Quote:
And shall I get into the way you were "dieting" (even missing meals and depriving yourself of calories) and not changing your food for life? Don't set yourself up. Case closed.
Swing and a miss. My diet did neither of those things and skipping meals will kill it dead since the 6-8 small meals a day theory is paramount in this diet.

Quote:
And yes, little Grasshopper, plateaus/stalls can happen at any stage the body deems it appropriate per its need.
Oh yeah? These people seem to disagree.

Quote:
However, based on my experience in research studies where we measure calorie requirements and study plateaus, usually true plateaus don't happen for 6 months or more of dieting. If weight seems to be stuck after 2, 3 or 4 weeks of dieting, more probably you lost a lot of water early on that is making it hard to see fat loss, and/or calories have crept up so you are no longer making the cut you think you are.
Plateaus: Why they happen, and how to get through them | Psychology Today

Quote:
“Our bodies really don’t know if we’re in a starvation or food-deprived state or on a purposeful diet,” says Franz. “Our bodies are set up to protect against starvation.” The body responds to dieting by lowering the calories required for daily energy. After three to six months, it begins to store calories more rapidly. The result? The body burns fewer calories, preventing further weight loss in most people
Arthritis Today Magazine l Overcoming a Dieting Plateau

Now you can keep arguing against it, but you're arguing against people who devoted their careers to this thing.

Quote:
So no one woman bulks up from hitting the weights hard, eh?
Correct, provided they are doing so properly, meaning not using large volumes of weight with few repetitions.

Quote:
I, and a few other fit women I know, do have to avoid anything more than medium weights and bands and they are not done "hardcore."
Bolded the important part. I really can't believe I'm even having to argue this point, but so be it.

Quote:
I have great muscle tone and definition, if I followed your instruction via the web AIMLESSLY (as you did to the OP), I would bulk.
A) You don't have the slightest clue what advice I was going to give the OP short of that it involved weights and B) any advice that I'd give a relatively fit woman like yourself would naturally be drastically different than the advice I'd give to an overweight woman looking to lose weight.

Quote:
There are certain weight machines that I avoid like the plague due to the fact that they have a tendency to bulk me up. It's how I am made up.
And what are those machines and how (reps and sets) are you using them? I'm genuinely curious since weight machines are generally used to isolate and sculpt muscles while free weights are used for bulking.

Quote:
Weights are not the only avenue to gain muscle and contour for the feminine form.
Where have I said anything to the contrary?

Quote:
At this starting point, she should only be utilizing it to begin the fat burning process in conjunction with cardio.
I'll be damned, this is exactly what I was getting at, so why the **** are you arguing with me again?

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Quote:
Fact is, you are going on your own experience
My experience, the experience of the guy who turned me onto this diet, several people he helped and several people I've helped with the same routine.

Quote:
and screaming it to the world based on one plan you followed, created for MEN.
Not entirely true. Yes, the diet was created by a doctor who was also a world champion power lifter, but the weight loss portion is easily adaptable to women with a few minor tweaks which the author published in several other books targeted at females and males who weren't looking to turn into bodybuilders.

Quote:
I find that ridiculous. You are recommending South Beach, yet, you are contradicting some aspects of it off the bat, clearly showing you have no common depth in knowledge of it.
Not quite. I'm actually recommending a low carb style diet, but that is too tough for some people so I threw up the South Beach Diet as an alternative. This contradiction that you claim comes from one of the books (there are several) that I have not read. I have read the original South Beach Diet, but that was several years ago and I don't recall off hand when they said plateaus would happen. Ultimately it's a moot point though, as any disagreement about that fact really has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the diet.

Quote:
I've said it in other threads - I wouldn't follow the advice of someone who is not in shape or is newly in shape that has not been healthy and fit for very long. It's not credible. That's like receiving long term sobriety advice and wisdom from an alcoholic or drug addict who has only been sober for 6 months.
Right. Not only are your statements on my physical history (whether intentional or not) so horribly incorrect it's laughable, it's another moot point as the diet I recommend on these forums was designed as used by an actual doctor/power lifter with a list of qualifications and credentials as long as my arm, it's been used with great success by a multitude of people including quite a few that I personally know, myself included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,576,586 times
Jeepgirl

I may not agree with everything Bosco55David says but it is a discussion forum and he was expressing his opinion. YOU on the other hand are being rude and arrogant.

Since you discount the experience of those in their 50s who HAVE recently lost, maybe for the first time in decades what, pray tell, makes YOU the all knowing expert on this topic? Perhaps your past admission to using HCG and Phentermine? - THAT makes me realize what an expert you are! LOL.

Look, each person is different and basically if something is NOT working you need to assess and refocus. This is NOT rocket science and all the books and all the psychobabble and all research does not hide the basic facts:

To loose weight you must eat less than you burn. To be healthy and fit, you must excercise.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 AM

310 posts, read 1,702,441 times
Default Finally, Lost Another Pound! (now below 160lbs!)

My posting seems to have set off some intense arguments! Sounds like two people here have a history of disagreeing? (I haven't been using this Diet/Weight Loss forum until recently so maybe I'm not aware of ongoing disputes?)

Bosco55David, while I appreciate your feedback and opinions, I tend to disagree with some of what you said, it does seem like many of your suggestions are geared more toward men than women. Not sure if you read that I'm a woman in my mid-50s who has a long history of being overweight but has successfully lost large amounts of weight totally on my own in the past simply by reducing calories without having to follow one particular diet. I've had decades of reading about ALL the diets and usually incorporate ideas from a few of them when eating low-calorie to lose weight. (and I've successfully lost large amounts of weight before without eating low-carb or high-protein-- most of the carbs I eat are low-fat, high-fiber whole foods & whole grains.) I totally agree with what Jeepgirl said here:

Quote:
You do not NEED to follow a "stringent, set plan" to eat healthy. Calorie switching, ever hear of it? People who eat healthy do it all the time to maintain and to lose. Eating right is a way of life. That is why people go off the tracks in this "diet" mode of thinking. They will feel defeated. Learning to "diet" is not the correction to a weight problem, educating ones self by correcting their eating habits and suitable exercise is. There are plenty of "professional dieters" in this world who are constantly on the merry go round. Increased Cardio is one of the very first things to recommend before "hitting the weights hard."
I don't just go on a particular diet and then go off it when I've lost weight, I need to find an eating plan I can follow for the rest of my life, not a temporary fix.

From my own reading & from seeing what so many people here recommend about weight training or resistance training, it seems like that's the next step for me. When I was in my 20s, I worked out at the Y three days a week every winter, my boyfriend and I had a great 3 hour routine every Mon - Wed - Friday, we would first take an exercise class (combo of aerobics, stretches, etc.), then play racquetball intensely for an hour & then do weight training. I was in the best shape of my life at that time (for about 3 years) BUT I hated how thick and bulky my legs were! I've always had a thick build, short at 5'2", curvy w/ wide hips, big butt, short arms & short thick legs-- many times, if standing next to another woman my exact height/weight, I'd look so much "wider" than they would since they'd have long slender legs! My boyfriend admired my athleticism & my build, he used to say, "but look how muscular your legs are & how well you play tennis/racquetball!" (I consistently won big against him in tennis but we were even at racquetball), but I hated the fact that my legs never got slender/toned no matter how much I exercised even at a good weight of 125lbs! Maybe I was just following the wrong weight training routine, that it wasn't right for me? It's such a relief to see I'm not the only female who feels this way, felt better reading this from Jeepgirl:
Quote:
So no one woman bulks up from hitting the weights hard, eh? I, and a few other fit women I know, do have to avoid anything more than medium weights and bands and they are not done "hardcore." I have great muscle tone and definition, if I followed your instruction via the web AIMLESSLY (as you did to the OP), I would bulk. There are certain weight machines that I avoid like the plague due to the fact that they have a tendency to bulk me up.
Years ago, I got totally turned off from weight training, maybe I was doing it wrong? When I went to that Y 3 days a week, I never did free weights, only the weight machines there, don't remember the names of them (this was in the 80s.) At least the good thing about that Y was that they had two different weight rooms and one had weight machines that fit better for short people like me-- since then, whenever I've joined a gym & tried to use the regular weight machines, I don't fit on them right, my arms and legs are always too short to reach everything right!! Very frustrating! (everything to me seems geared toward tall people, I guess that 6-ft tall men designed these things!) But years ago I don't remember seeing resistance bands and I've been "out of the loop" since then! Guess my next step is to find someone who can assist me getting into a weight training routine that fits my body & my needs.

But the Good News today is: Got on the scale this morning & lost 1 more pound!! Finally below 160! (only 25 - 29 more pounds to go!)
This happened after eating only 1100 calories yesterday, didn't plan to eat so few calories but had eaten that much by 4pm in anticipation of playing tennis at 6pm (with plans to eat about 300-400 calories afterwards) but tennis got rained out so I just stopped eating at that point since got virtually no exercise yesterday. While I don't plan to eat that few calories on a regular basis, think I have to lower my average calorie intake from about 1700 cal/daily to more like 1400 cal/daily, even if I have to decrease my exercise in order to do that. I've already decided to cut back on the days/hours of walking but maintain my tennis 4 -5 days a week. Once I add weight training, I'll re-evaluate my other exercise routines. Next, I'm planning to read the Exercise/Fitness forum (and maybe post there) looking for specific advice about weight training, especially interested in using resistance bands (but of course, if anyone here has specific basic advice or links about that, let me know.) Thanks to all who offered feedback/advice here, it was appreciated!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 AM

18 posts, read 53,896 times
I'm sure you have had enough posts already, however, your metabolism is governed by your muscle mass, so if you have not built up lean muscle through weight conditioning in the past then it will be an uphill battle for a bit. Also, exercise is, contrary to popular belief, not nearly as effective (immediately) as a change to a healthy diet that is low in simple carbs (breads, pastas, etc) and high in protein, fiber, vitamins & minerals.

I suggest picking a routine that you can enjoy, be it yoga, pilates, traditional weight training, swimming, as a SUPPLEMENT to your dietary changes, not as the primary focal point of your weight loss. Swimming 1 hour extra will not equate to being able to eat 2 extra twinkies if your metabolism isn't very high.

Some of us must be careful with our dietary intake our entire lives. Don't let it get you down, take a positive approach, be healthy and enjoy life!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,310,720 times
Something simple that no one mentioned:

EXERCISE MAKES YOU BLOATED

So if you are really out of shape your body could be be holding on to some bloat as it gets back in shape. Since your body has been resistant you should track your food with a scale. I am saying this again because its what a doctor is going to ask you to do anyway. (saves time) Plus its good habit to get into. With that "whole grain" stuff....Do some reading on that. A lot of foods are marketed with the whole grain lingo but they actually contain very little whole grain. Make the switch to get it all out. Its good for any body pain too, to keep your intake low sugar and quality carb(complex).

Congrats on the new losses too!

Maybe throw a couple 1200 days in your week here and there. It won't hurt your metabolism to only do it a day a week. Just don't do it more than two days in a row because then the body starts to adjust.

Keep on sweating! ☺

Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I suggest picking a routine that you can enjoy, be it yoga, pilates, traditional weight training, swimming, as a SUPPLEMENT to your dietary changes, not as the primary focal point of your weight loss. Swimming 1 hour extra will not equate to being able to eat 2 extra twinkies if your metabolism isn't very high.
I already have a "routine" I enjoy-- I play singles tennis 4 -5 days a week for 90 minutes - 2 hours at a time, lots of running! But I agree with you (and several others here), I've reached the conclusion that I need to make dietary changes the focus for losing weight, that should be the priority instead of over-exercising -- because in my case, focusing more on exercise the past 2 months hasn't resulted in much weight loss!

Quote:
Some of us must be careful with our dietary intake our entire lives. Don't let it get you down, take a positive approach, be healthy and enjoy life!
Totally agree with this, I can't just be "on" or "off" a diet, I have to find a healthy way of eating for losing weight and for following afterwards, will have to be careful with how I eat the rest of my life.

Pitt-Transplant, not sure I agree that exercise makes you bloated -- could you cite some findings about this?

As to whole grains and complex carbs vs. simple carbs, I already am eating lots of complex carbs & avoid simple carbs. Also, I don't blindly follow manufacturers' claims about their products, I read regularly about nutrition, the latest findings and know how to compare lists of ingredients to food labels & product claims-- I might be Newbie09 here on this forum, but I'm not a Newbie at all about dieting/healthy foods, etc. In fact, as I described in my first posting, it was almost 30 yrs ago that I first lost 100lbs totally on my own just with my own readings on diet/nutrition & have always kept up with the news about nutrition/obesity/food plans since then. (It's like I have the knowledge-- but it's just a matter of acting consistently on that info, putting this knowledge into effect plus letting myself feel hungry more often & avoiding the emotional eating I sometimes do when I'm not physically hungry at all!)

But I appreciate your good wishes and agree with you about this:
Quote:
Maybe throw a couple 1200 days in your week here and there. It won't hurt your metabolism to only do it a day a week. Just don't do it more than two days in a row because then the body starts to adjust.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,310,720 times
Bloating After Your Exercise Routine and New Diet? | Diet and Exercise (http://www.diet--exercise.net/diet-exercise/bloating-after-your-exercise-routine-and-new-diet-2 - broken link)

Thats just the first link I found and sums up what I was going to type.

Basically when you get in shape you rip your muscle and then it mends stronger. That agitation makes it swell. Also that you are getting dehydrated and re-hydrating in a way that you were not before. The body likes to take its time adjusting to new water intake & output.

When I came off of being bed ridden my legs got so swollen it looked like a had medical level edema. (more than just some bloat, it dented) It was CRAZY. It went away and did not stick around but I was in my late 20's at that time. (faster healing/repair)

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Pitt-transplant, Thanks for the link about bloating, interesting info. Not sure it applies to me but something to think about.

About starting weight-training/resistance training, I just checked classes at the Y down the street (only a mile away, an easy walk or bike ride, so no excuses not to go!)
They have beginner strength-training classes as well as pilates & yoga which also interest me. Only $10 for a day pass to use all the facilities & classes that day so I'm planning to check it out soon, maybe as early as tomorrow morning. Hoping to learn about using the resistance bands so I can eventually do that on my own. And I think that going for classes there will be a better use of my time/effort than all the walking I've been doing-- will go walking just one morning per week & keep up with tennis 4 - 5 days a week.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by newbie09; 05-17-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Jeepgirl

I may not agree with everything Bosco55David says but it is a discussion forum and he was expressing his opinion. YOU on the other hand are being rude and arrogant.
Thanks, that's just how she is though. She has this incessant need to argue with people and I'm partially at fault for giving her the benefit of the doubt and not just rolling my eyes and going "Ok, whatever" like I normally do.

Won't make that mistake again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Bosco55David, while I appreciate your feedback and opinions, I tend to disagree with some of what you said, it does seem like many of your suggestions are geared more toward men than women. Not sure if you read that I'm a woman in my mid-50s who has a long history of being overweight but has successfully lost large amounts of weight totally on my own in the past simply by reducing calories without having to follow one particular diet. I've had decades of reading about ALL the diets and usually incorporate ideas from a few of them when eating low-calorie to lose weight. (and I've successfully lost large amounts of weight before without eating low-carb or high-protein-- most of the carbs I eat are low-fat, high-fiber whole foods & whole grains.) I totally agree with what Jeepgirl said here:
Just to clear it up, the diet I'm recommending works just the same for women as it does men, and the weight training certainly isn't gender specific.

That said, if you've found a way for your body to lose weight easily (sounds like a low-glycemic thing to me) then by all means, stick with that. There is no sense in fixing what isn't broken.

Either way, good luck with whichever path you choose. As long as you get the results you want, it's all good.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,548,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Question for Runningncircles-- Please explain: how do I fit the risk factors for a thyroid condition?
And after looking online at symptoms of "metabolic syndrome", seems like this doesn't applies to me since I don't have two of the major symptoms, high blood pressure and an "apple" shape with a large waist circumference. I have low blood pressure as opposed to high blood pressure and I'm not "apple-shaped" at all, I'm more pear-shaped with an hour-glass figure, always have a small waist (my waist is always 12 inches smaller than my hips no matter what I weigh!)

I'm not sure what you meant about about my calorie count. The quote you used from my posting-- "eating 2000 - 2300 calories per day and this female was living this way for months all winter but wanted to lose weight" doesn't describe my current eating habits at all, that calorie count was actually referring to a theoretical woman in a similar weight loss scenario. The amount of 2200 - 2300 cal/day actually does refer to my previous way of eating while sedentary, before becoming so active. 2 months ago I stopped leading a sedentary lifestyle, that's when I got very active, started exercising so much. So if 1659 cal/day would maintain my weight if I'm sedentary, wouldn't that same amount per day lead to weight loss if I'm very active? (playing tennis 5 days a week for 90minutes - 2 hrs each time PLUS walking 3 mornings a week for 3 - 5 miles each time PLUS lots of bike riding.) And since I've been eating about 1700 calories per day since intensely increasing my exercising, shouldn't this have lead to a weight loss of 1 - 2 pounds per week (approx. 8 lbs per month) rather than my current results of 2 pounds in 2 months? (only 1 pound per month.) Maybe you're implying that even though I've been very active/exercising a lot, I must be consuming more calories per day than I think I am? (eating 2200 - 2300 calories per day rather than the 1700 cal/day amount that I stated?) Just trying to understand what you wrote, would appreciate some clarification.

You know what. It does sound starnge. I am trying to loose weigh as well. I am 33. I weigh like you, 162 ( lost three pounds last week) and I am 5'6". I have heard you need a deficit of 500 calories a day in order to loose one pound of fat per week. I ate maybe 2200 calories before and I cut down to 1500. Those calories comes from high protein, high fiber only the good carbs no sugar and no "bleached foods". I work out at the gym 45 minute cardio and 15 minute weighs. I lost 2-3 pounds in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss