Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times

Advertisements

LOL. Wow. Im just stating facts. There were no slurs at all, just stating who buys those shoes. If my comments hit too close to home with you then you just need to realize that I was just stating the truth about the kind of people who wear those shoes, and the type of people they are marketed to.

A group of my fellow senior citizens and I walk almost everyday & quite a few of us have bought these shoes . I also found your remarks a little patronizing.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,441 times
I read that they are a rip-off.

However if you want a casual shoe that does tone your legs, I recommend the old-school Dr. Scholl's wooden clogs. When I was a teenager I wore them all the time and had legs of steel.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
I've heard mixed things about them. Some ladies swear by them and recommend them to their friends. Others are less enthusiastic. From what I've been able to gather, you do feel it in your legs when you wear them.

I don't know that I would wear them during a work out - mainly for balance/support concerns. But I don't see the harm in wearing them for things like mall walking.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
You are totally and completely wrong.
I don't think so, but I'm willing to entertain your attempts to persuade me otherwise -- all you've done so far is give everyone participating in this thread the equivalent of a childish "nyahh nyahh".

Say we know a woman named Ann who knows she should be exercising on a daily basis. Yet for whatever reason she doesn't.

Ann sees a pair of these shoes, tries them on, likes them, and says "Well, we'll give these a whirl." Ann likes the way the shoes feel on her feet. Ann wants to give the shoes a spin around the block. Ann decides she feels better after taking a walk around the block, and does so the next night, and the next and the next. Soon she's walking a few miles a day.

Could it possibly be that it was the shoes that gave her that initial motivation? You bet!

A comfortable pair of shoes is no different anything other tool you buy to assist you with exercise, be it a yoga DVD, hand weights, or a treadmill. You have to use them for them to work.

Yet some of you seem to think that anyone who buys these shoes is stupid enough to think that the shoes will do their job by sitting in the closet.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think so, but I'm willing to entertain your attempts to persuade me otherwise -- all you've done so far is give everyone participating in this thread the equivalent of a childish "nyahh nyahh".

Say we know a woman named Ann who knows she should be exercising on a daily basis. Yet for whatever reason she doesn't.

Ann sees a pair of these shoes, tries them on, likes them, and says "Well, we'll give these a whirl." Ann likes the way the shoes feel on her feet. Ann wants to give the shoes a spin around the block. Ann decides she feels better after taking a walk around the block, and does so the next night, and the next and the next. Soon she's walking a few miles a day.

Could it possibly be that it was the shoes that gave her that initial motivation? You bet!

A comfortable pair of shoes is no different anything other tool you buy to assist you with exercise, be it a yoga DVD, hand weights, or a treadmill. You have to use them for them to work.

Yet some of you seem to think that anyone who buys these shoes is stupid enough to think that the shoes will do their job by sitting in the closet.
You are a marketer's dream customer. Most commercials are written with you in mind.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Well, now, that's a compelling argument. When you think of something more intelligent, let me know.

I'm off now, to purchase a kazillion dollars' worth of useless exercise equipment from QVC. And maybe the Home Shopping Network, too. Oh, the promises they make ...

Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Nope...dont work and a waste of money.

Dr. Oz Reveals the Best Butt-Toning Products - That's Fit

Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
I work at the large hospital and walk roughly 12 miles in an 8 hour shift. I am all over the hospital and on my feet most of the day. I see many employees wearing those shoes and most of those ppl are overweight. Shoes are not going to make you thin. Diet and excerise, however, will.

And yes, I consider them lazy. Why would anyone take an elevator to go up one floor? Why not let your fancy excerise shoes do the walking? Just sayin......

Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, now, that's a compelling argument. When you think of something more intelligent, let me know.

I'm off now, to purchase a kazillion dollars' worth of useless exercise equipment from QVC. And maybe the Home Shopping Network, too. Oh, the promises they make ...
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, assumed that you would be smart enough to understand the issue without my spelling it out for you point by point. My mistake.

True motivation comes from within. It always has and it always will. The notion that if you buy the right product it will motivate you towards a positive outcome comes from marketers who wish to convince you that they have the right product for you in the hopes you will buy what they are selling. Your example of being so happy with these new shoes you will start to walk more in the them absolutely is what shoe manufacturers want you to think. And you've been so brainwashed, you are actually on this thread arguing that they are a wise purchase in order to get motivated. It's ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
my cousin bought a pair and she hates them with a passion and she says they dont work . I laughed at her over the phone and she totally agreed she was stupid in buying them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss