Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, assumed that you would be smart enough to understand the issue without my spelling it out for you point by point. My mistake.

True motivation comes from within. It always has and it always will. The notion that if you buy the right product it will motivate you towards a positive outcome comes from marketers who wish to convince you that they have the right product for you in the hopes you will buy what they are selling. Your example of being so happy with these new shoes you will start to walk more in the them absolutely is what shoe manufacturers want you to think. And you've been so brainwashed, you are actually on this thread arguing that they are a wise purchase in order to get motivated. It's ridiculous.
I'm male, not old, not fat, and in pretty decent shape. I don't own these shoes, and I really have no opinion of them one way or the other. If they make you happy, buy them, if they don't then (S_T_F_U and ) don't buy them.

But your argument above seems a bit hipocritical. You can say someone falls for marketing hype to buy these shoes, but you seem OK with people who Run or go to the gym? Didn't they fall for the marketing ploy of the running shoes company (bet my paycheck they didn't get their running shoes at PayLess!!!)? Or the Gym? (For God's sake, who the eff wastes their money on a gym membership to "simulate" excercise? REALLY!). <-Sarcasm

My choice of excercise is mountaintbiking. I own several different bikes, for several different occasions or circumstances. Most of them were cheap, and used, but at least one of them is VERY expensive. The fact of the matter is, that if the only thing I was concerned with was to get out and excercise, then any cheap-arse bike would do the trick, as long as it was good enough to hold up to my constant use. But the greater reality is that my expensive bike is fun to ride, it's comfortable, it's confidence inspiring, and at the end of an 8 hour epic ride deep in the Appalachian Mountains, I feel better on it than on some of the other bikes. I actually have more fun on this bike, and I spend less time worrying about my sore back, or about the possibility of being stranded in the middle of BFE.

So yes, a PRODUCT can motivate one to get out and excercise more. I get my excercise on a bike because that is what I enjoy doing. For me, it is absolutely perposterous to walk on a treadmill or ride on a stationary bike when I could be out in nature, seing and experiencing life. I'm not criticizing others, I'm just saying that to each their own, and for ANYONE to tell another person how they should excercise, or what value they should place in a product, or what is going to motivate them (presumably a perfect stranger!) is just arrogant, and misinformed.

Sorry, I don't ever post on this particular forum, and I typically don't post these kind of negative comments, but you and the one other person who are in agreement are not doing anyone any good. State your opinion and leave it at that. Check the attitude and the condescending comments at the virtual door!

Cheers,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Wow, I pop into these forums every now and then for some positive readiing and motivation, but there are a couple of posters in this thread who really are in need on sensitivity training.

While they are correct in the fact that motivation comes from within, and some folks are plum lazy, they also fail to realize that some folks just need that little push sometimes, and if it's shoes, or the latest muscle building gizmo that gets them going, the main factor is it gets them going.

The OP asked a simple question, and there are positive ways to express our thoughts and facts without criticism.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:38 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LOL. Wow. Im just stating facts. There were no slurs at all, just stating who buys those shoes. If my comments hit too close to home with you then you just need to realize that I was just stating the truth about the kind of people who wear those shoes, and the type of people they are marketed to.
Who buys these shoes. I bought these shoes (Sketchers) because they are comfortable, not because I am a fat, lazy sloth hoping to work off a few calories as I walk. If people who need to lose weight, choose to buy this style of Sketchers who cares? If they motivate people to get out walking, great.

I bought them for comfort, no other reason. They are very comfortable after a day in heels. I do see people out walking (again all shapes and sizes) and they also find them very comfortable. I bought the t-strap style in black because I thought they looked a little nicer.

What kind of shoes, do you wear Lao, and why did you buy them? More importantly, why would judge them to be "fat" shoes? That's just nasty!!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,576 times
Greetings,

I tried them on and that was enough for me. They were the most uncomfortable shoe I had ever tried on. The walking sticks do a better job.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
First off all the Shape up type shoes you see are a direct cheap ripoff of MBT. MBT was the first company to design that type of shoe. And there is a reason why MBT's cost $200 per pair. They are an awesome well built shoe. A $50 pair of Sketcher Shape UPs cannot compare. MBT's have a therapeutic value. They are expensive because they have certain features and qualities built into the shoe that you won't find in Shape UPs or comparable knockoffs. I know because I wear MBT's on a daily basis. I had plantar fasciitis and the only thing that solved it were a pair of MBTs. They were the best investment I ever made. I paid upwards of $500 for custom orthotics that never did crap. Now as far as shoes being able to tone up your legs, thighs and butt........not to any real noticeable degree. But MBTs will definitely help with leg, knee, hip, back, and foot pain without a doubt. But the technology and special soles built into MBT's are what make them work. And again these are lacking in the cheaper Sketcher brand knockoffs. F@#K me I can't even stand the Sketcher brand any more they are so effing cheap.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
My parents got me the Skechers for my birthday... I must say after wearing them, they are somewhat uncomfortable to wear all day.

My uncle and stepfather loves theirs.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
First off all the Shape up type shoes you see are a direct cheap ripoff of MBT. MBT was the first company to design that type of shoe. And there is a reason why MBT's cost $200 per pair. They are an awesome well built shoe. A $50 pair of Sketcher Shape UPs cannot compare. MBT's have a therapeutic value. They are expensive because they have certain features and qualities built into the shoe that you won't find in Shape UPs or comparable knockoffs. I know because I wear MBT's on a daily basis. I had plantar fasciitis and the only thing that solved it were a pair of MBTs. They were the best investment I ever made. I paid upwards of $500 for custom orthotics that never did crap. Now as far as shoes being able to tone up your legs, thighs and butt........not to any real noticeable degree. But MBTs will definitely help with leg, knee, hip, back, and foot pain without a doubt. But the technology and special soles built into MBT's are what make them work. And again these are lacking in the cheaper Sketcher brand knockoffs. F@#K me I can't even stand the Sketcher brand any more they are so effing cheap.
I am glad they work for you. I have MBT's and they aren't any more comfortable than the Sketchers. Folks who don't have, or care to spend $200.+ on MBT's are going to look at alternatives. Whatever works, wear it.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:53 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
I just got them at Kohls, the Fila brand on sale for $42. I was looking for sneakers in general and these seemed comfortable when I tried them at the store but I don't trust they will help me so I would like to return them. Sadly, I can't find the receipt. A friend bought the same pair and she loves them and finds them very easy on her feet. Honestly, I doubt these shoes are more than the new worthless fitness phase and they will soon collect dust in closets across America next to all the other home gym crap.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I'm male, not old, not fat, and in pretty decent shape. I don't own these shoes, and I really have no opinion of them one way or the other. If they make you happy, buy them, if they don't then (S_T_F_U and ) don't buy them.

But your argument above seems a bit hipocritical. You can say someone falls for marketing hype to buy these shoes, but you seem OK with people who Run or go to the gym? Didn't they fall for the marketing ploy of the running shoes company (bet my paycheck they didn't get their running shoes at PayLess!!!)? Or the Gym? (For God's sake, who the eff wastes their money on a gym membership to "simulate" excercise? REALLY!). <-Sarcasm

My choice of excercise is mountaintbiking. I own several different bikes, for several different occasions or circumstances. Most of them were cheap, and used, but at least one of them is VERY expensive. The fact of the matter is, that if the only thing I was concerned with was to get out and excercise, then any cheap-arse bike would do the trick, as long as it was good enough to hold up to my constant use. But the greater reality is that my expensive bike is fun to ride, it's comfortable, it's confidence inspiring, and at the end of an 8 hour epic ride deep in the Appalachian Mountains, I feel better on it than on some of the other bikes. I actually have more fun on this bike, and I spend less time worrying about my sore back, or about the possibility of being stranded in the middle of BFE.

So yes, a PRODUCT can motivate one to get out and excercise more. I get my excercise on a bike because that is what I enjoy doing. For me, it is absolutely perposterous to walk on a treadmill or ride on a stationary bike when I could be out in nature, seing and experiencing life. I'm not criticizing others, I'm just saying that to each their own, and for ANYONE to tell another person how they should excercise, or what value they should place in a product, or what is going to motivate them (presumably a perfect stranger!) is just arrogant, and misinformed.

Sorry, I don't ever post on this particular forum, and I typically don't post these kind of negative comments, but you and the one other person who are in agreement are not doing anyone any good. State your opinion and leave it at that. Check the attitude and the condescending comments at the virtual door!

Cheers,

Matt
Perfectly said, Matt. A big rep is coming your way! I agree completely with your statement. I workout at home, using EPIC dumbbells, and flat bench, and a treadmill. While ultimately you need to motivate yourself to continue with a workout, there are "motivational triggers" that can get you going, such as these shoes, for example. While I would not buy these shoes, I don't disagree with it possibly being a trigger to get someone going with working out. Ohiogirl said it well on this point too.

Marketing is marketing. Its ultimately up to you to do something about it, but motivational triggers are things that can help out as well. Its like Matt said, he didn't need the most expensive bike out there, but it helps him have more satisfaction with the overall ride, and he gets more enjoyment out of it, which in turn can make it so he doesn't give up on it sooner. Its no different than being in a particular gym in which you bought a membership, and are very happy with the equipment you are using, as it will provide you with the needs to continue, along with your OWN motivations.

Ian

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
I always thought those shoes were a scam, but when I saw them on sale at the DSW one day, I thought "what the heck, I need new sneakers anyway".
They felt so weird at first, that I kept the receipt and was going to return them. They are heavy.
But after I wore them during my weekly hiking trips I started to really love them. The first couple of times I wore them, I did get sore legs and butt.
Now I love them so much, I wear them almost everywhere. I walked 11 miles one day and didn't feel any pain at all. I don't know if they tone my legs, thighs or butt (I'm pretty active and work out almost daily), but I DO know that they help my posture BIG time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss