Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,871 times

Advertisements

My theory is that someone at the reebok office Moderator cut: language removed , but was too proud to admit it, so they called it toning shoes, because they make people tired when walking in them.

kind of like calling a bad day "better than the worst"

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-11-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
do they tone your butt and legs, HELL NO...
but i have a super cheap knock off pair from walmart and ive found them very comfortable for me to walk in, my feet just havent been happy in normal sneakers even with insoles...
but i can walk all day in my fakeups comfortably.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
They dont work. Its a genius marketing scheme to the fat people who are too lazy really to workout. They DO NOT tone your legs. Dont waste your money.
Mmmm....a tad harsh, mate. While it's certainly true that those trendy new lines of shoes like Sketcher's "Shape-Ups" are not gonna magically transform a dumpy couch potato into a fit, elite athlete--or cause them to automatically drop a bunch of weight--they can actually tone the lower leg muscles a bit. These shoes are drastically curved at the toe and heel, causing for a sort of "rocker" shape that forces the user to use a bit more balance when walking. Yeah, the difference in actual calorie-burning is pretty minimal; perhaps a 15% increase compared to normal shoes, but at least it's a start.
Too, the shoes are extremely comfy, and if this causes the users to walk or jog more because of the added comfort level, than this too will increase the amount of calories they'll burn in a given week.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 AM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Too, the shoes are extremely comfy, and if this causes the users to walk or jog more because of the added comfort level, than this too will increase the amount of calories they'll burn in a given week.
Points for you. These shoes are a tool (albeit an expensive one), and if they get people off the couch, more power to 'em.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM

23 posts, read 89,675 times
I bought those Reebok ones, they gave me back pain and made my feet hurt!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
They dont work. Its a genius marketing scheme to the fat people who are too lazy really to workout. They DO NOT tone your legs. Dont waste your money.
Now that the lawsuit has been filed. What do you guys who bought these shoes have to say now? Nothing probably.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Now that the lawsuit has been filed. What do you guys who bought these shoes have to say now? Nothing probably.
I'm still wearing the shapeups that I bought over a year ago, and I'm mad that I can't get a new pair of the same style at Bob's or Kohl's or any local store that carries Skechers.

I *love* my Shapeups. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, they support my arches better than any orthotics could possibly support them, they splay my toes such that my neuroma hasn't acted up in over 6 months, they've relieved pressure on a bone spur on my instep that I've had for years, my broken toe (which never healed, that broke 20 years ago) doesn't throb because there's no pressure on it when I walk anymore. Wearing them has improved my balance somewhat, but it wasn't all that bad in the first place.

Lawsuits get filed by all kinds of people for all kinds of things. If you wear rockers on your feet, you should -expect- that you'll have to walk differently. You should -expect- that your sense of balance will be challenged. You should -expect- aches and pains until your feet learn to adjust to this. It shouldn't take a disclaimer or a lawsuit to figure it out.
Just like the lady who spilled hot coffee on her thighs and sued McDonald's for the burns - hot coffee is hot. And rocker shoes rock. D'oh.

Whoever wins that lawsuit will get rich, but will become the laughing stock of the Known World, as well. Personally, I'd rather wear the rockers.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've heard mixed things about them. Some ladies swear by them and recommend them to their friends. Others are less enthusiastic. From what I've been able to gather, you do feel it in your legs when you wear them.

I don't know that I would wear them during a work out - mainly for balance/support concerns. But I don't see the harm in wearing them for things like mall walking.
I kind of agree with my initial take on it. I wonder what activities the injured parties were engaging in when they got hurt...

Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
I laughed so hard when they said on the news that there is a breakthrough that the Sketcher shoes dont do anything with weightloss or helping to make you fit.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I laughed so hard when they said on the news that there is a breakthrough that the Sketcher shoes dont do anything with weightloss or helping to make you fit.
I think it's funny that anyone would have believed that wearing a pair of shoes would make anyone lose weight. I've seen some commercials for things like deodorant, that imply women will fall for you if you wear it. Has anyone sued THEM for false advertising?

I mean c'mon. What idiot would be dumb enough to believe that shoes would make them lose weight? And sure, they'll help you tone up - because they're COMFORTABLE once you get used to them, and that contributes to a more productive workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss