Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 PM

207 posts, read 963,557 times

Advertisements

I saw a commercial for some sneakers that are supposed to tone your legs and butt when you walk, I think Reebok sells them but I know a couple other brands make them as well. I was just wondering if anyone had tried them or knew if they actually worked. I was thinking of getting a pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
I haven't personally tried them, but I was going to get a pair too until my MIL told me that she heard from quite a few people that they made their feet hurt. And therefore I'm out.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
I saw a commercial for some sneakers that are supposed to tone your legs and butt when you walk, I think Reebok sells them but I know a couple other brands make them as well. I was just wondering if anyone had tried them or knew if they actually worked. I was thinking of getting a pair.
They dont work. Its a genius marketing scheme to the fat people who are too lazy really to workout. They DO NOT tone your legs. Dont waste your money.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
They dont work. Its a genius marketing scheme to the fat people who are too lazy really to workout. They DO NOT tone your legs. Dont waste your money.
My mom has a pair and she really likes them. (She's not fat. She's 5'6" and 145 pounds and is 65 years old. But she doesn't weight-train and her muscles are not strong at all.) Do the shoes tone her legs...not that I can tell. But....

She and I walk a lot every day. We wear our little pedometers, and both of us seem to average about 14,000 steps per day. She's been doing this for about 6 or 7 weeks now, and during this time, she's also been carting around my 15-pound nephew and climbing up and down stairs and all that.

She did make the comment a couple weeks ago that she thought "the shoes" had helped her because she'd been at my place taking a bath and had had no problem getting out of the tub...whereas a couple months before, she HAD had difficulty. And she's gone down a pants size even though the scale reads the same.

I realize it's probably not the shoes that are making all the difference -- it's the fact that Mom's walking 5+ hours a day and is being more active in general, plus carrying extra weight (my nephew and his stuff) as she moves around. But maybe the shoes are playing a role in toning her up. I read some article that said that in the case of the brand Mom wears, one way they COULD be helping to strengthen muscles is that they're a LITTLE bit heavier than "normal" athletic shoes.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 PM

270 posts, read 487,967 times
Wow laotzumindfu I guess you must have the luxury of never having been fat or something for you to be sooo opinionated about fat people and their laziness.

In any case, I bought them (the Skechers) because I work at a big hospital and am on my feet and running around all the time so I figure that if I can eek out even a few extra calories while I'm doing it, it's worth the money. And let me tell you, they are soooo much more comfortable than the shoes they try to sell you for hospital work (ie Dansko's). I don't know how much they are actually toning but I definitely feel a difference when I'm walking a lot...my muscles feel sore much more quickly than if I went the same distance in regular shoes. So while I wouldn't buy them if you're expecting miracle results, I definitely think the Skechers at least are worth it for the comfort and that extra little calorie you might burn.

Oh and I have heard of many people that get them and then wind up walking all over in them because they like them so much...so I guess it can make some of the lazy fat people get off their butts and do some exercise for the first time in their wasted lives. (Sorry, I'm a little overweight and not for lack of trying to lose weight so I take offense to people who assume that fat people are that way because they're lazy or eat 5000 calories a day)

Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I actually did buy them just last week . I walk about three miles a day & the first time I wore them, it felt as if I had walked twice that much. I think they do some extra toning, but maybe that is just wishful thinking ; they do feel different, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What an ignorant post. While I totally agree that this may be a marketing scheme, to state that it is aimed at FAT PEOPLE is ignorant and erroneous. I know several people who have purchased a pr of this type of shoe/sneaker....and they are ALL thin, just wanting/hoping to tone calves, gluts and hamstrings.

I've been in 100% agreement with you about advocating against the HCG diet and thought you were a reasonable/intelligent person until this post. Very ignorant to say the least. Must be nice to be perfect.....

Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Oh and I have heard of many people that get them and then wind up walking all over in them because they like them so much...
My mom says she loves hers. Loves to wear them...loves how they feel.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Lao is being harsh but he speaks the truth - those shoes are quite stupid and do not work. They are the physical equivalent of taking a diet pill.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
What an ignorant post. While I totally agree that this may be a marketing scheme, to state that it is aimed at FAT PEOPLE is ignorant and erroneous.
Oh give me a break. Im sure the MBAs in their Strategic Planning Department went to their marketing and product development department saying that they should target the same group of lazy people that late night infomercials target. You know the ones. The ones who ARE IN FACT too lazy to actually workout but really really need to lose weight.

There is no way in the world that these shoes are targeted to those folks who are athletic and workout/exercise daily.

If people REALLY wanted to tone their legs they would go and workout. Not just wear these shoes to do their errands or work in the WalMart aisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss