Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,539,787 times

Advertisements

Do P90X!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:03 AM

8,065 posts, read 10,661,772 times
I need to lose 10 - 15 pounds in a month, then slowly lose 10 more after that. I'm trying to cut out the carbs, and it's miserable! No bread, no sweets, no alchohol, no potatoes, not even fruit. But, it was hard giving up cigarettes too, and I did it. Once I lose the initial weight, I will re-introduce carbs back into my diet. I think cutting out the carbs is hard because most of the food and beverages we consume for "entertainment" purposes are carbohydrate filled: chips and dips, crackers and cookies, sodas, wine and beer, cakes and pies, fries, etc.

That's why dieting is so hard - most of the foods we eat to "entertain" ourselves, are carbohydrate laden. Most of us don't "snack" on high protein items. So, the hard thing is to stop looking for food for entertainment and/or stress relief. And that's why it's so hard to stick with a diet.

I realize a high-protein diet is frowned upon, but I watched my mother try all the acceptable "healthy" diets with no results. From the day she cut out most carbohydrates, the weight started coming off. I've decided every one is affected differently by diets. I eat VERY little compared to most people, but yet the weight just sticks to me LIKE GLUE, I have decided it's because most of what I eat is carbohydrate filled, and at 49, my body just absolutely will not burn them off anymore.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM

7,151 posts, read 12,699,149 times
And let's not forget beer--"Liquid Carbs." They don't call it beer belly for nothing!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,866,615 times
No more chocolate milk, cut down on the sugar and get off the soda. Also if you haven't, switch to lower fat versions of food including dairy.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 PM

17,444 posts, read 16,615,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I started a diet on May 6. I weighed 277 pounds at that point. Today is June 3, and I'm down to 255. I've been drinking plenty of water this entire time. As of this week, I have stopped buying soft drinks by the bottle, and only drink small soft drinks whenever I go out to eat. Within another couple of weeks, I plan to cut out all soft drinks except on Saturdays. Aside from the random soft drink, I mostly drink water, milk, chocolate milk and green tea. (I place three to four teaspoons of sugar in a cup of green tea, depending on the size of the cup.) I have reduced my daily calorie intake to ~1,500. I've been lifting weights four times per week, and doing cardio exercises five times per week.

Is my goal of 210 pounds or less by September 1 attainable? I'm encouraged by the loss of 22 pounds in the last four weeks.
You want to lose 45 pounds in approx 13 weeks. On average, a bit over 3 pounds per week. It'll take some doing, but it can be done.

However, you just lost 22 pounds. So you are really talking about losing 67 pounds in 4 months....that's a lot of weight. That may or may not be so good for your skin.

Eat healthy, exercise consistantly/often, really work those abs and strength train over the next few months. But be sure to consult the mirror - if your losing too fast, slow it down a bit . Good luck!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,806,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Man, I totally read this wrong at first and I thought you wrote that it took you 31 DAYS to lose 45 pounds. I was in a state of shock! Reading is sooooo fundamental!

Congrats on your loss!
lol! No..It really couldnt be done in 31 days. I wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
This is a very healthy and realistic time frame for this weight loss.
I think it is too. I kept telling myself that it took a while to put on, it will take a while to take off.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,967,413 times
Quote:
I started a diet on May 6. I weighed 277 pounds at that point. Today is June 3, and I'm down to 255. I've been drinking plenty of water this entire time. As of this week, I have stopped buying soft drinks by the bottle, and only drink small soft drinks whenever I go out to eat. Within another couple of weeks, I plan to cut out all soft drinks except on Saturdays. Aside from the random soft drink, I mostly drink water, milk, chocolate milk and green tea. (I place three to four teaspoons of sugar in a cup of green tea, depending on the size of the cup.) I have reduced my daily calorie intake to ~1,500. I've been lifting weights four times per week, and doing cardio exercises five times per week.

Is my goal of 210 pounds or less by September 1 attainable? I'm encouraged by the loss of 22 pounds in the last four weeks.
Wow, you're doing great so far. Kudos to you and good luck with continuing to lose weight.

Based upon my experience (I've lost about 30 pounds, from 220 to 190), your weight loss rate will slow down after the first few weeks, and you'll even hit some resistance points where you may go a couple of weeks without losing anything, and then resume weight loss after you break through the resistance point.

Why are you continuing with the sugar? I think that's the biggest belly-buster. You also need to watch out for food that converts into sugar, like starches, especially if they're refined wheat rather than whole wheat.

I think you have to expect that, even with a strict diet and continued exercise, your weight loss will slow down to a maximum of 6-8 pounds per month, and could go down to 4 pounds per month even doing all the right things.

Don't let that discourage you. It is better for the body to lose weight slowly than to lose it quickly, or to yo-yo up and down.

Best of luck.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
Agreed on the sugar, especially soda. I need to lose around 50 pounds, because I've gotten lazy, have reverted to eating really high-fat foods, don't get nearly as much exercise as I should get, and I'm "pre-pre-menopausal," so my metabolism/hormonal shifts have already started.

HOWEVER: I know what I need to do, to lose the weight. It's just a matter of convincing myself to acually do it.

I already cut out soda over the past couple of years - I steal a few sips from my husband's glass at supper time maybe twice a week. Other than that, I have no soda, ever. I also don't drink juices unless I buy the fruit and juice them myself, because I really -like- fresh-squeezed juice. For me, it's water. Often with a squeeze of lemon in it. And if I am really -needing- something sugary sweet for my drink, I'll add honey to the lemon-water and make myself a nice diluted glass of lemonaid. 1-2 cups of coffee daily, and more water. Mostly I just drink water, because I like it.

I would definitely not eliminate carbs. Carbs is your body's fuel. No fuel = no energy. Basically what you're doing, is injuring yourself, exhausting your body on a cellular level, then demanding that your body burn off more energy to heal the injury. That's why you lose weight when you eliminate carbs. Because you're causing intentional damage that your body has to work overtime to heal.

I'd REDUCE carbs intake, however. You don't need to carbo-load unless you're a trained, in-shape athlete on your way to a track meet or a mile-long swim or a 5-mile bike race. If you're eating more than a fistful of pasta, you're eating too much in a single serving. Especially if you're soaking up the sauce with a couple chunks of garlic bread.

Make your pasta a side dish; if it fits in a pudding cup, it's a good portion for someone trying to reduce carbs. Have ONE slice of garlic bread. Make 3/4 of your dinner plate non-starchy vegetables of some kind: maybe a romaine salad with fresh-grated parmesean, a tomato half cut into wedges, a palmful of black olives, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And you could top it with grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, sliced and smothered in olive-oil-sauteed shallots and mushrooms.

This way, you get your fat - which isn't BAD for you, if you have it in moderation and keep to the non-crap-fats.. you get the saltiness of the cheese, the tang of the vinegar, the sweetness of the shallots and shrooms, the carbs and chewy goodness and mouth-watering aroma of the garlic..

and it's a HUGE, filling meal, that's GOOD for you, but that you can also easily burn off.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,689,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I need to lose 10 - 15 pounds in a month, then slowly lose 10 more after that. I'm trying to cut out the carbs, and it's miserable! No bread, no sweets, no alchohol, no potatoes, not even fruit. But, it was hard giving up cigarettes too, and I did it. Once I lose the initial weight, I will re-introduce carbs back into my diet. I think cutting out the carbs is hard because most of the food and beverages we consume for "entertainment" purposes are carbohydrate filled: chips and dips, crackers and cookies, sodas, wine and beer, cakes and pies, fries, etc.

That's why dieting is so hard - most of the foods we eat to "entertain" ourselves, are carbohydrate laden. Most of us don't "snack" on high protein items. So, the hard thing is to stop looking for food for entertainment and/or stress relief. And that's why it's so hard to stick with a diet.

I realize a high-protein diet is frowned upon, but I watched my mother try all the acceptable "healthy" diets with no results. From the day she cut out most carbohydrates, the weight started coming off. I've decided every one is affected differently by diets. I eat VERY little compared to most people, but yet the weight just sticks to me LIKE GLUE, I have decided it's because most of what I eat is carbohydrate filled, and at 49, my body just absolutely will not burn them off anymore.

Good luck!
You need to start lifting weights or doing resistance training. You started losing muscle mass in your 30s, and by now if you haven't been working those muscles it all along, you have very little left. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism. boost your muscle, I guarantee you the weight will stop sticking to you.

Think about female celebrities in their 40s and 50s whose bodies look great to you. If you look at their pics closely, you will note really nice muscle definition. It's because they lift weights.

It's why her body is still bangin' at 50 (and mine's gonna still be bangin too!)

http://theboxhouston.com/files/2010/03/ANGELA1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 PM

483 posts, read 556,691 times
Quote:

The best 'diet' I've found is in the book Live right 4 your type by Peter D'Adamo. It's not really a diet as you never have to be hungry. It's based on your blood type. There is no substitute for this diet. I've tried everything over the years. The pounds fell off 10 years ago when I used the advice in this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss