Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 AM

14,585 posts, read 23,156,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
You need to start lifting weights or doing resistance training. You started losing muscle mass in your 30s, and by now if you haven't been working those muscles it all along, you have very little left. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism. boost your muscle, I guarantee you the weight will stop sticking to you.

Think about female celebrities in their 40s and 50s whose bodies look great to you. If you look at their pics closely, you will note really nice muscle definition. It's because they lift weights.

It's why her body is still bangin' at 50 (and mine's gonna still be bangin too!)
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,895,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
I'd also say no diet soda or regular soda, too. One is just as bad as the other. Up the green vegetables,eat mainly fruits and vegetables and you will get plenty of protein in amino acids from green veggies.

moderation on fruits.. they are mostly sugar.. start the day with protiens skip the carbs.

I agree with dropping the soda. I drink unsweet tea and water. the chocolate milk has a huge amount of sugar. moderation on milk in general.

take cereals out of your diet they will do you no favors.

I suggest if you want to keep it off move to a menu plan you can live with, never a diet.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
So, I want to loose 45lbs in 3 months!
I just started taking Cross Fit classes and man do I have a lot of Energy and have a better attitude. I watch for what i eat (Salads, veggies, fruits and white meat no red meat) . I try to eat at least every 3 hours and drinks lots of water. However I am not counting calories do you think I can do it, or do I have to change something in my diet?

After getting married I literally gain 40 pounds over a year and I got to a point I will get depress, angry and upset. Until one day I decided to make a change in my life. That is the reason why I want to loose weight!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,891,490 times
It took you a year to gain it. Give it at least 6 months to lose it, and you'll feel healthier as a result. Losing a lot of weight fast is -possible- but isn't the healthiest way to go about it.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM

834 posts, read 2,692,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxocaramel View Post
So, I want to loose 45lbs in 3 months!
I just started taking Cross Fit classes and man do I have a lot of Energy and have a better attitude. I watch for what i eat (Salads, veggies, fruits and white meat no red meat) . I try to eat at least every 3 hours and drinks lots of water. However I am not counting calories do you think I can do it, or do I have to change something in my diet?

After getting married I literally gain 40 pounds over a year and I got to a point I will get depress, angry and upset. Until one day I decided to make a change in my life. That is the reason why I want to loose weight!
Love Crossfit! I'm actually getting back at it as well, but a few years ago I was doing it and even though I was pregnant I was in the best shape since a few years before. I could make crazy weight lifting and feel great. You can scale to your current ability but make sure you push yourself. brisk walking or jogging on non-crossfit days will work too.

As for diet, see if those modifications you're doing work on the scale, if not start counting. If you have a smart phone there are apps you can get that will help you keep track of food intake.

I would also add to not buy any kind of soda (no regular, no diet). Soda is well know to cause bone loss and diet soda actually lowers metabolism. If you want something bubbly or different to drink get sparkling water, or perhaps a small glass of Zico coconut water. Try using brown sugar instead of regular. If you go out for a drink try having a drink or wine (no beer) and a club soda in between to drink less.

It always helps that you plan your menu ahead of time...know what you're going to eat for the next few days and stick to it. I try to cook some foods at the beginning of the week or get low cal/low carb/high protein prepared meals at a local store.

I have a good 40lbs to lose so I'm right there with 'ya, but gave me a bit more time 30 weeks. Still don't expect all of it to come off, but at least a good chunk. I revisit and tweak my weekly food plan with my spouse so we stay on track. It's very easy to get off track if you're busy with work or other things going on in your life.

Like someone else stated...it's not going to come off overnight but making ourselves our first priority will make us pay more attention.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,133,354 times
If your goals aren't reasonable, you are setting yourself up to fail. Self sabotage. It's not likely you will/could/should loose this much, this fast. Why not? Because there's no way this would be a sustainable loss. You will regain as soon as the diet is over. And then comes the next diet and the neverending cycle of reward and punishment.

Talk to people who are seriously overweight. Chances are they dieted themselves there.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaJpalmer View Post
i am 13 and i weigh 238lbs and i need to loose weight now, i am scared for my self and my future
Work with your parents to incorporate more healthy foods into your meals.

Does your school have intramural sports? Play any of the ones that you like. Play often. Or join a league (if you are able) soccer, softball, swimming, martial arts, whatever.

Do you have a bike? Try to bike around the neighborhood a few days a week. Or walk around the neighborhood.

Do you have a Wii? Get some of the Wii fit games, or play Wii sports after dinner.

Start a new trend, take a family walk after dinner. Round up your parents, siblings and your neighbors and take a 20 minute stroll around the block.

Snack on fruit. Try to steer clear of the break snacks like chips and cookies. Cut down on soda and replace it with water or tea.

The best thing you can do for yourself now is to adopt healthy habits -- eat better and get more active. But you'll need help from your parents too. The need to commit to making sure you get healthy foods and have the opportunity to be active.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,140,916 times
Quote:
i am 13 and i weigh 238lbs and i need to loose weight now, i am scared for my self and my future

jade gave you excellent advice. You're still a child. Your body is still growing and changing..you don't need to diet...you need to make a lifestyle change. I suggest you get your parents on board and consult with your doctor as well.

Make better food choices and move more. Move a lot more. It won't be easy at first, but after a couple weeks, you'll see a difference and it will enourage you to keep going.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 AM

21,009 posts, read 28,619,071 times
Quote:
I suggest trying weight watchers. I'd like to ask if the rest of your family also is struggling with weight issues as well. It's important that everyone be on board to help you loose the weight, and to be supportive.I would go food shopping with your mom next time she goes and you can help her choose healthier food items to have at home. When I was 13 I was overweight, and I still struggle today with weight but so far have lost 42 lbs on Weight watchers. You need to educate yourself and your family concerning foods that are high in sugar, salt and fats. Maybe look online at some healthy recipes that you and your mom can make together. Check the recipe section because I have posted some low calorie/low fat recipes. Maybe one night you can make grilled chicken, marinate it in balsamic and a little olive oil with garlic and Italian seasoning and grill it. Then make a big salad and maybe have brown rice or a potato with it. The important thing is to try and stick with a weight loss plan that works for you and drink at least 8 glasses of water. Try to get in at least 1/2 hour of activity or excercise in maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I know first hand what it is like being an overweight teen. You feel self conscious and you don't like to go shopping for clothes. I have a 19 year old cousin who I have not seen in like 5 years and I saw a picture of her recently and she is very overweight as well. I also think environment and poor eating habits also have alot to do with it. Another suggestion is have your doctor do some blood work to make sure you are not at risk for diabetes. You are young and have a full life ahead of you. If you like sports maybe you can join something at school. I would make a list of healthy foods you would like to have in the house and maybe discuss that with your parents. It could not hurt for everyone invloved to start eating better even if they don't have a weight problem. I also agree soda, diet or regular is bad. I drink diet soda, 2 cans at dinner but I should stop and drink water instead. Go through your fridge and pantry and see what you have and decide for yourself if this is what you should be eating or not. Also packaged/processed foods are high in fat, carbs and salt. Not good when trying to loose weight. also portion control too. Good luck and if you need anymore help I would be glad to give you advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss