Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times

Advertisements

Ahem.....where are the pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM

268 posts, read 703,872 times
Bless you for helping this poor dog !
We rescued a mom to be from a horrible existence, chained up with no shelter, last year, and not too soon, either...she went into labor within 48 hours and gave birth to 9 healthy pups. I had never been through something like that before and was scared also. Thank God nature kicked in and it went well. It is an awful lot of work, but sooo rewarding, to save those lives ! She will need good food, and have more calorie requirements, our vet guided us according to her young age as well, poor thing was barely a year old herself at the time.
Its important to monitor nursing to make sure that some of the more laid back ones get their share of feeding.
Borrow an xpen from someone for when they really start to move around. We got alot of help placing the pups and they all wound up in loving good homes, but that was work also, because we turned some people away...we were pretty picky, the mother now lives close by with friends and their dog, she is spayed and sleeps in their bed with them every night ! What a happy ending ! We wanted forever homes for each one of them.
One more thing ( Im trying to think back to it all ) watch for mastitis, it is a true medical emergency. Swollen, hard nipple, hot to the touch..make sure to examine her frequently while she is nursing. Our mom came down with it but it was caught early. She wouldve died, and her pups too, if her owner hadnt finally gotten sick of my nagging and handed her over, all alone, chained in a filthy yard. poor thing, she was a great mommy and is a wonderful pet, her new owners adore her.
Good Luck to you and my sincere thanks for what youre doing.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,128 times
You did an awesome job! I would have freaked at first too. May they all find loving homes and the momma gets returned to her home. Thanks so much for doing what you're doing!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
First of all let me say that you did a wonderful, kind and unselfish thing to take this momma in and help her through a stressful time. I think you did a great job I know it is kind of scary at first to see a pup give birth and want to help make things easier for her but once things calmed down you performed beautifully. So a big hug for you. Wasn't it wonderful for Mrs1885 to walk you through the situation? Just goes to show that here on the forum we have some wonderful and kind people. Please keep us posted on the little ones and momma dog.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Have you ever palpated a non-pregnant dogs stomach? If not she'll need to see a vet after she has the last one to make sure she's not stopped labor before they've all been whelped.

If you're very familiar with what it should feel like - I"m guessing you're not but just in case - check and make sure there aren't any fetuses left inside.

After she has them leave them in the closet with the blankets and mom. Keep it warm and quiet. If you've got kids keep them completely away and as quiet as possible in the house. Same with other pets - they can't be near her. If you've got a way to barricade the closet so they don't crawl out and off the blanket (baby gate?) that's very helpful. Leave a small bowl of food and water in the corner, away from the area the puppies are in. Some dogs are pretty hungry / thirsty, others just want to settle into mother hood and be left alone.

The birth is easy. It the next 8 weeks that will be a nightmare for you. Puppies are dirty and stinky and take a ton of energy. You'll need to check on them constantly, especially the first couple weeks. After that they should start moving around. Eyes open at 7-10 days or so. Once those eyes are open, the moving will start and they'll be everywhere if you don't have them contained.

Feed mom a very high quality food while she's nursing. She'll be wicked thin for quite some time and it takes a while to get weight on them when they've got all those little leeches sucking the nutrients literally right out of her! So lots of food and water, and a good high quality. I add canned food as well just to help get that weight on.

Aside from that, just keep an eye on everyone. I've got a nursing momma and her 3 babies at home that I just pulled out of the shelter. It's fun to watch them grow, but by the time they're 8 weeks old and can start looking for homes, you'll be thrilled to see them go!
I couldn't even find the right kind of special smiley for you for the kindness and help you showed the op. You are a special person to jump in there and lend a hand even if it wasn't in person.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
What an exciting thread to read! OP, bless you for helping the little momma dog and her babies!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
Ok puppy pictures from my cell phone .. and some little news .. kinda sad but not unexpected .. one of the pups died durning the night She had pushed it away a coupla times and wasnt trying to feed or lick it so I am sure the pup wasnt right somehow.. Have seen this happen with other babies and Mom will push them off to the side so.. we have 5 left .. 3 boys and 2 girls .. the girls are both dark coated and the boys are makerked like mom.. black heads and white bodies .. also thevet said they are large for what she is .. he said she is a purebred rat terrier ..

HELP! she is having puppies right now!-061400_1534-00-.jpg

HELP! she is having puppies right now!-061400_1532-00-.jpg

HELP! she is having puppies right now!-061400_1533-00-.jpg

HELP! she is having puppies right now!-061400_1533-01-.jpg

HELP! she is having puppies right now!-061400_1535-00-.jpg

Vet said all that are left are healthy and so is mom and she is a stranger in my area .. no chip either so unless somebody looks for her she is here .. I cant imanage anyone leaving her tho she is very sweet little dog ..

Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,992 times
^^^What a heartwarming view...but sad one passed. If you need a foster home for one in CT, I am here. I do have a dog but I can foster another for a few weeks/months till he or she finds a forever home.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
To all of you and especially to Mrs for the calming words and the standby I thank you and appericaite all kind words I am pretty giddy even today over this .. Little momma is doing well .. and eating everything I offer her ..
a real piggy at the moment.. anyways I will keep you pictured as they grow .. this might be fun ..
ya think? ...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM

205 posts, read 726,210 times
Bless you and your new guests. Karma, its a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs