U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 29,765,407 times

Advertisements

I never see upper middle class white folks with pit bulls. Why are these dogs so prevalent amongst certain other socio-economic groups? Is it a cultural identity thing like mullets and motorcycles?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,051,635 times
i see upper middle class white folks with pit bulls all the time. like literally every day.

simple answer, the breed is perceived as tough and is therefore attractive to people who want to be seen as tough, or who want a dog for protection. so you might see people who want to seem macho or who live in dangerous neighborhoods with them. but pit bull ownership is NOT restricted to one particular race or class. edit: nor is it restricted to people who want to seem tough.

Last edited by groar; 06-13-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM

418 posts, read 1,340,263 times
I don't think this is totally true across the board just like any stero-type. Although I think it is sometimes true, I see people that look middle-upper class all the time at the dog park that have pit-bulls. My old landlord had a daughter who was a lawyer and she owned 3 pitbulls.
A dog bakery in our area that wayyyyy UPPER CLASS has dog dinners were the dogs can go certain restaurants on certain nites and eat on the patio with their owners and you saw every breed from yorkies to rottweilers to pitbulls.
I do know they have a "tough" rep. Boxers in my area have gotten that rep too. Since pitbulls were banned for some reason boxers are the next "tough" go to dog.
Just a rant on this thou-----I hate, hate, hate "classes". I was raised upper class. When I was as little as grade school some of my upper class friends told me they wouldnt be my friend anymore if I hung out with a few of the girls that were lower class. Guess what I did? I got new friends!! I swore then and there I didnt want to upper class when I grew up and I'm not.
I'm now going to school to be a lawyer possibly so I guess when I am done you could lump in that "upper class" I'd be a pitbull owning lawyer if they weren't banned!!!! lol But no I will always be just me----ok rant done!!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,064,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i see upper middle class white folks with pit bulls all the time. like literally every day.
So do I.

Perhaps the OP doesn't know very many upper middle class white folks.,.that would be my guess.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,633,876 times
I think it's that the upper middle class families don't make the news with their pitties because they are good owners. Well behaved dogs don't sell papers. They only want to show the aggressive ones to freak out the public and cause them to buy their papers out of fear.

I adopted Willow - a pittie mix - to an upper middle class retired couple last week and they picked her up this morning as soon as the plane touched down (they'd been out of the country on vacation). I doubt I"ll ever see her on TV.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,340,263 times
I hope we getting some "upper class" pitbull owners to chime in on this thread!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,633,876 times
Well, thanks to the rescue bleeding me dry I"m not 'upper' class middle, but I'm middle and very proud of my Diva! Does that count? I don't have a mullet and don't have or want a motorcycle.

And if we're going down that road, I don't live in a trailer or drink Budweiser either. Just me but the thread seems like it's a bit of a slam against 'some class' of people.

I doubt anyone will ever see Diva on the news either. Yay!

Yep, maneaters.................

Old 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,051,635 times
great pictures mrs1885!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 29,765,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
So do I.

Perhaps the OP doesn't know very many upper middle class white folks.,.that would be my guess.
Amusing thought but not true. I live in Fairfax County VA, and am going by what I see around here. You'll find a lot more Pit Bulls in PG County MD or PW County, VA than you will here. Pretty much what I see aound here are Goldens, Labs, Newfies, and rescued Greyhounds. There does seem to be a "language of dogs" at least in this area. Americans, egalitarians that they are, do tend to freak out at any mention of class differences so I understand some of the reaction here.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:09 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,098,555 times
i'm guessing by the op's screen name, that he or she is pretty young and has not experienced a lot of life and the world yet.......

it is easy to generalize from an insular bubble.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.