Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times

Advertisements

This weekend, we adopted a wheaten terrier. The vet believes he is about 4 years old (he was taken in as a stray). Problem is, we can't think of a name for him! My kids want Buddy, but to me, it seems like every other dog is named Buddy! Any suggestions?

Here's a pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Name for our new family member!-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
What is his personality like? Is he rambunctious or laid back, is he comical or serious minded-well as serious minded as a dog can get anyway. I usually go by the personality of the dog. I have to admit Buddy is a good name just by looking at him. He looks like he will make a good buddy.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
What is his personality like? Is he rambunctious or laid back, is he comical or serious minded-well as serious minded as a dog can get anyway. I usually go by the personality of the dog. I have to admit Buddy is a good name just by looking at him. He looks like he will make a good buddy.
He's a very laid back little guy. He lounges around the house and usually only gets up when he smells food or sees another dog/animal in the yard.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I am not into giving my dog people names so look for something about the dog. Jazz was a puppy and is sort of a short coat blue merle type marking and my friends small daughters both said " she is Jazzy looking" when they met her thus her name Jazz. Dash was named Sam when I got him but he would dash out any open door or gate and being a border collie mix he loved to dash about so his name became Dash. Phoenix had her name as Phoenix and being she is deaf and vision limited it semed like the correct name as the Phoenix rose up out of the ashes. Dazzle is really the Outlaw Jessie James from what his breeder called the outlaw litter. He is a sight hound and is very elegant and beautiful so he is quite Dazzling to look at. I also liked it as it is sort of a combo of the two old dogs I still had when I got him Da(sh) and (J)azz.So for his beauty and to honor the two old dogs that had to put up with a young goof ball, Dazzle it was.

So watch your dog for a few days and I am sure a name will pop into you mind. I agree while Buddy is a great name half the dogs I meet have that name and a friend adopted two dogs both came with the name Buddy! Jessie was too common of a name for Dazzle as I know so many dogs named Jessie as a matter of fact one of the two Buddy's I just mentioned in now Jessie.

There is a dog at the dog park named Poochini which is a fun name and the first time I have ever heard it so you can also be creative.

What ever you name the dog that is a cute dog. I hear Wheaten's make great dogs . May you all have many wonderful years together.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
He's a very laid back little guy. He lounges around the house and usually only gets up when he smells food or sees another dog/animal in the yard.
Sounds like my lab mix. Very much the couch potato but quite the doofus when he plays I named him Ernest T. Bass call him Ernie the name fits him to a T. Just observe him for a while and I am sure a name will come to you out of the blue. I still like Buddy though he just looks like a Buddy. Sometimes I pick names out of the old situation comedies. I had two bunnies that i named Fred and Ethel. Just a suggestion as to where you can pull some names from.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
I have a rescue that the shelter named Spinagain as he always has to spin around a couple times before laying down... Changed fast but he has a booming voice so he became Thunder.

Personality is best way to do it and if laid back think of a tv show or movie that had a real laid back character name it after them or look up Greek names or other origins so more original and not a well known name...

Or could be complete opposite of his personality also like tall men named shorty or big fat ones named tiny and such. With that beard I would look at bearded men in history.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
dog in our neighborhood called "Boss" cause he is the boss LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I vote for some of my favorite names, Logan and Tristan.

Regardless of the name, may I just say he is ridiculously cute?

God bless you, I hope you guys have many happy years together, whatever name you pick for him.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
I like....

Aveno
Maiz
Milky
Perky

No matter, he is gorgeous, enjoy!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
He is very handsome. I vote for Wheatley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs