Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

My 6mo old chocolate lab seems to have taken to housebreaking VERY quickly.. almost too quickly. Picked him up on Sunday afternoon.. he went twice in the house that day (before we got him on a routine.. actually even before we kept bringing him outside.. so our fault) but ever since he has not gone in his crate, considering we leave him in it while we are at work and sleeping (crate is only temporary until we know he's housebroken).

Like I said before, he has not gone in the house ever since.. although it is only 3 days he has done pretty well. Could he have gotten into a routine in only 3 days, or am I just getting my hopes up for a quick and easy housebreaking? I feed him a treat as soon as he does his business outside to get him to want to actually go outside and not in the house.

Can't find any info on the web about such a fast potential housebreaking.

edit: sorry for the potentially stupid question but this is our first dog (we have both had dogs in the family for forever but this is the first one we're starting with ourselves)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Don't want to burst your bubble, but it seems unlikely that it took only 3 days, unless he was previously potty trained and just needed some reminders.

Jett is 4 1/2 months old, and he still had an accident the other day, although it was our fault for not seeing he had to go. We were busy getting everyone to bed.

It took about 1 1/2 months to say he is nearly 100% potty trained. (((fingers crossed!))))

Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble, but it seems unlikely that it took only 3 days, unless he was previously potty trained and just needed some reminders.

Jett is 4 1/2 months old, and he still had an accident the other day, although it was our fault for not seeing he had to go. We were busy getting everyone to bed.

It took about 1 1/2 months to say he is nearly 100% potty trained. (((fingers crossed!))))
yep I understand -- like I said I don't think the dog took to it that quickly but nothing has happened in 3 days. Accidents happen

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Where has the dog been it's first 6 months? I ask Because Dazzle spent his first 8 months with his breeder so he was houstrained when I got him. If he was living with the person that bred him and they were responsible people then they should have been working on housetraining.

That said some dogs do learn very fast as Jazz was 12 weeks and had one accident in the house and got chewed out by my older dog so then started following the old dog out the pet door and she never had another accident in the house. If she was crated at night and had to go she knew to wake me up.I also was able to train her to pee or poop on command in a very short time so that my taking her out before bed or before I left for work did not take long.

PS Jazz is 14 now so yea I am pretty certain she was 100% housetrained after her one and only accident in the house.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Where has the dog been it's first 6 months? I ask Because Dazzle spent his first 8 months with his breeder so he was houstrained when I got him. If he was living with the person that bred him and they were responsible people then they should have been working on housetraining.

That said some dogs do learn very fast as Jazz was 12 weeks and had one accident in the house and got chewed out by my older dog so then started following the old dog out the pet door and she never had another accident in the house. If she was crated at night and had to go she knew to wake me up.I also was able to train her to pee or poop on command in a very short time so that my taking her out before bed or before I left for work did not take long.

PS Jazz is 14 now so yea I am pretty certain she was 100% housetrained after her one and only accident in the house.
All I know is that the dog ended up at the puppy shop I went to at 2 months old and was kept with other larger dogs. I think the breeder kept the dog for the first 2 months.

I haven't found any definitive example guidelines for when a dog can be considered "housebroken" other than not having any accidents.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i got bailey at 4 months from a local shelter, where she had been a resident for a month or so .... no clue where she was before that.....

have often thought she must have been born house trained..... in her entire life, she has had 2 accidents in the house .... one my fault for not getting home to let her out soon enough and one when she was sick from eating some chocolate.....

both times, she nearly died of embarrassment while i was cleaning up.... she would stay nearby me (she is a TOTAL velcro dog) but could not even look at me and just hung her head..... i absolutely know how lucky i have been with her in that respect..... and i think she has been a good influence on dave.... got him from the same shelter last september.... he was 10 months old and had lived his entire life there.... he has had a few accidents in the house, but nothing like i have heard about some dogs.....

Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM

puppy went 9.5 hrs without going in the crate.

I was honestly expecting him to go since I got held up at work.

I am honestly shocked.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
wow!! that's impressive for such a young 'un .....

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM

I know, right? I have him on webcam to see what he does while no one is around.. he started to sniff/bite the bed I left in the crate so I came in expecting the worst.. walked in to a happy puppy wagging its tail, with a nice and clean crate with no torn up bed!!

I know I know keeping the dog for 9.5 hrs in the crate is not good but it is very very temporary, especially considering his current record..

right when I got home we went outside and he went right away. Fed him a treat and made him feel like he was the best thing ever

Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
ViralMD has posted her housebreaking rules. I couldn't find the original post but here is a link to it in this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...tips-long.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs