Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The issue is HOW we are re-homing this dog, and why....because it doesn't fit with the new life plan? That's kind of irresponsible in itself.
HOW and WHY this dog is being re-homed is a very good reason. So with that said I disagree with you. Stop judging this person.

Quote:
Using a public forum such as this? Also not a good idea. There are some nuts on C-D, as there are on every anonymous board...because people are nuts.
??? Seriously....this person asked for advice and instead gets bombarded with a lot negative advice.
BTW...those same so-called people that are nuts which you speak of...guess what???... those same people walk amongst us away from the tiny little anonymous world of "City-Data"....lol...c'mon, don't you know that?

Quote:
I'm in rescue
Thank you for helping the world of rescue. Than you are aware compassion is a key trait.

Quote:
I realize that life changes occur, but we aren't talking terminal illness here - we're talking travel. Find a dog sitter. Take the dog with you and stay in pet friendly hotels. Leave the dog in the company of friends or relatives while you are gone. Whatever. But why should your dog's life change after 9 years just because you've now got a fiance and a different job?
I would like to give this poster the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps she has exhausted all avenues. If she is saying it's due to job commitments than you nor anyone else has the right to dictate to her that she or her fiance needs to find a new job.
Sam I Am, the job market must be booming where you are!

Quote:
but when cnotacting a rescue, please bear in mind - we will not be impressed, no matter what your reasoning is. We take pet ownership very, very seriously, as well we should.
I wasn't aware that she lives in your area? Or...are you speaking "we" as in all? At any rate.....
While this may be true for wherever you participate in rescue...for the record, it is not the attitude for every shelter/rescue organization.
Besides that, the poster made it clear she is not surrendering the dog. So this is a mute issue.

I'm not looking for a response back....so, please. You've said your opinion and I've said mine. Thank you.
I've expressed my thoughts to Pices12.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
HOW and WHY this dog is being re-homed is a very good reason. So with that said I disagree with you. Stop judging this person.

??? Seriously....this person asked for advice and instead gets bombarded with a lot negative advice.
BTW...those same so-called people that are nuts which you speak of...guess what???... those same people walk amongst us away from the tiny little anonymous world of "City-Data"....lol...c'mon, don't you know that?

Thank you for helping the world of rescue. Than you are aware compassion is a key trait.

I would like to give this poster the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps she has exhausted all avenues. If she is saying it's due to job commitments than you nor anyone else has the right to dictate to her that she or her fiance needs to find a new job.
Sam I Am, the job market must be booming where you are!

I wasn't aware that she lives in your area? Or...are you speaking "we" as in all? At any rate.....
While this may be true for wherever you participate in rescue...for the record, it is not the attitude for every shelter/rescue organization.
Besides that, the poster made it clear she is not surrendering the dog. So this is a mute issue.

I'm not looking for a response back....so, please. You've said your opinion and I've said mine. Thank you.
I've expressed my thoughts to Pices12.

Surely you don't expect me to let this all slide away?

I think the OP would have said "I've exhausted all avenues, I've done this, this and this - somebody help me, please!" That's my experience, your mileage may vary.

I tried to offer constructive advice - and I've acknowledged that the OP isn't a part of Those That Walk Among Us - this is not a nut case - but there ARE nut cases out there and you know it. To deny it is absurd.

I'm going on record - I am not necessarily talking about this poster. I don't know pisces - may be a salt of the earth type person - but there are several drawbacks to this posting and I've tried to gently point them out. You're forcing my hand to make my statements in a broader sense of pet owners, but very well - you threw the first wad of spaghetti. So on the whole, my remarks are addressed to the general public and NOT to pisces.

So for the General Population:

The poster said she would not surrender the dog to a shelter....I don't believe she specifically mentioned rescue. That was offered as an option, which I thought was pretty positive, but I tried to balance it with "we get hundreds of requests every day - your dog isn't a puppy and isn't someone else's baby". I think that's realistic, to know that you can't contact rescue and have them to your house within 24 hours, or even 24 days. We're working on the beaten, starved, burned animals that were thrown from car windows. Sorry if we can't drop everything to rush to the aid of someone who is getting married and taking a new job and didn't think the whole thing through. I also mentioned working with a rescue on an independent adoption. I mentioned working with her vet. I mentioned finding a dogsitter in her area that possibly could keep the dog and could provide a second home when she is unavailable. I gave out a lot of suggestions - I haven't seen yet where any of them were followed up on or even acknowledged.

And yes, for the record and not in direct correlation to this OP, "we" in the larger world of rescue do not understand and will never understand re-homing Fluffy because of the job. You knew you had a job, you knew you had Fluffy. Make it work. You'll make it work for Johnny and Mary.

I'm about as compassionate as they come - but there is a right and wrong way to do things, and a public forum isn't the right way. If it is absolutely necessary to re-home the dog, then at least go through some credible avenues. However, many people will find a way to work it out when presented with alternatives and a very real picture of how re-homing works and how hard it may be on their beloved pet.

How can you encourage me not to judge when you have so obviously judged the corner I'm coming from? I don't want to fight with you, I have no issue with you or Pisces.....I'm stating an opinion, and the opinion of the greater portion of the rescue world, I believe. If I'm wrong and there are rescuers out there who can say I'm wrong, let them tell me. I will stick by my story, but I think you will find for the most part - yes, I am the mouthpiece for many. And you and I will have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Sam I Am,

The above is an absolutely excellent post. You are the kind of pet lover of which this world needs more.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Echo KewGee's sentiment. Thank you, Sam I Am.
Unfortunately, there are bad-guys out there and you don't know where.
There were hoodlums in front of our vet's office down in the city asking if there were any signs inside for dogs "for sale".
You just never know.
Please screen any potential home most thoroughly and let it be somebody you wouldn't mind your kiddies having a sleepover with? Only difference between dogs & kids is that kids can speak our language fluently.

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-24-2007 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: add language

Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
hi, i am looking for a schnauzer. i used to have one and he was the love of my life. he got doggie cancer and passed away. I have been looking for one since. i would love to see a picture of your dog.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
ummmm, I think she's responsible for looking for a home and sounds like she won't give the dog up until shes comfortable w/ the home that's good for the dog ....that is a responsible owner. irresponsible is letting the dog run around w/o a leash, no shots, lack of food and water, good housing, etc.

I own two rescues and know the drill, but until we are in someones situation and understand it all we can do is support their decision and trust things to work out.

Also, I've been on the other side trying to find a pet a home.
There are limits and sometimes situations just suck. ....mine was a cat that had metal problems and the vet wouldn't put him down(said he was to young....3 years) so we tried to find a shelter for him as a last resort. I tried to prove my point and stated all the problems he was having but the vet refused to put him down ...3 weeks later he died naturally( I swore up and down the "little" guy had problems) and I was very relieved(sounds horrible). He had banging his head on doors when we locked him out of our room at night, beating up the other cat, 40 pounds, would flip out and attack people, hair falling out, temp high, etc. ...we are now with a different VET!!!!!!!!!! We did tons of test and everything was adding up, except his personality.
The vet did say he was a lynx/domestic mix ...it was wild.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
As much as I agree with what's being said, this wasn't what the OP was asking for... so if they (or the mods) don't have any objections, I'm going to close the thread now. To the OP, please re-post this on the classifieds forum if you'd like, and good luck.

P.S. I think a few of you mis-read the dog's age... he's 1 YEAR 9 months, not 9 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs