Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Here is yet another one. The dog is calmly laying on the ground, he's not even going near the cops! The cop has him on the catch-pole and is waiting for animal control. Dog is calm at the time of the shooting and never showed a sign of aggression. Really, what is the problem in this state? You can read the article and if you want to see the dog get shot, you can watch the video. It's at the bottom of the article. I hope he loses his job and is at least on leave, without pay, until this investigation is complete.

"It clearly shows the dog secured by the catch-pole, held down on the grass. All that needed to happen then was for the second officer to place the dog cage in front of the animal, hold it steady, while the first officer pushed the dog, head-first, into the cage. This isn't rocket science.
Instead, the officer simply pulled his gun, which he kept reaching for during the entire length of the video (seems a little trigger-happy to an observer), and fired. The first shot didn't kill the dog. Injured, the pooch wagged it's tail as if signaling, "please don't hurt me". The officer then fired a second time, ending the dog's life."

LaGrange PD needs animal control re-training after unnecessary pet shooting

And a link to a petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/tai.../701476303/taf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i got an email about this a couple of weeks ago.... could not then and still can not watch the video.... but there is more to the story.... the clip that is making the rounds on the 'net is only about 8-9 minutes of a (i think) 60-90 or so minute police call.... apparently the dog had been "rushing" some of the neighbors when they walked past the house....

i am in NO way, shape or form defending what the officer did.... i think it is despicable and completely inexcusable and i hope he loses his job and law enforcement license over it.... just sayin' .... there is more to the story than this clip would have you believe.....

and apparently the LaGrange, MO police department and prosecutor's office has been deluged with email and telephone calls about this incident.... which is a good thing and should continue until the case is closed and the results published as far and wide as this clip has been......

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Yea, it said that the dog ran after someone, but even the "victim" stated that unnecessary force was used since no one was in danger. I'm willing to bet even people on this forum had their dog chase or even bite someone (which this dog didn't do). But luckily for them, no trigger happy cops were around. If you watch even the first part of the video (shooting doesn't take place til 4 minutes in), the dog is just laying there calmly and wagging his tail! He freaks out for a bit when the pole is put over his head, but quickly calms down and lays in the grass. That's when he decides to shoot him!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I couldn't watch it. I think law enforcement officers should be trained in handling dogs. Yes I know there are county animal control officers that go to situations like this, but it seems to be more frequent lately where stuff like this happens. Yes I know there are cutbacks in every city/town, but this should be in there basic training. IMO anyway.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I did watch the video, and it is as the OP described. However, before the police officer secured the dog on the catch-pole, the dog was chained to an open tail-gate of a white pick-up truck. It was not free. The dog never acted aggressively toward the officers (there were two COPs on scene), but it was wary of them. There was no audio on the video, and the COPs were on their radio for several minutes before securing the dog on the catch-pole and shooting the dog twice. I could not help but wonder why animal control was not called. Animal control is equipped to deal with strays or aggressive dogs without injuring them. The end result may have been the same, by which I mean the dog may have been euthanized by animal control, but that is far more appropriate than shooting a non-aggressive dog on the public street. If animal control were involved, someone may have rescued the dog before it was euthanized by animal control.

The entire incident was very poorly handled, and the COP who shot the dog used poor judgment. I certainly would not want him patrolling my neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
no offense to posters from missouri, many of whom i know are wonderful dog owners (lttp!), but it seems like in general it's a cruddy state to be a dog in.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Sad, very sad. It would appear from the video that the LEO who shot the dog had been given permission from someone higher up from the amount of time he was on the phone/radio prior to shooting the dog. If LEO had done that to my dog I'd probably be sitting in a jail cell for a very long time for the way I would likely have reacted.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I agreee I hope he loses his job and is never allowed to be a police officer again total abuse of power and yeah it stinks in Missouri and something needs to be done other than just reprimanding this officer . The people in missouri should be outraged and demand his dismissal . If the police cheif has a tad bit of sense he will dismiss this guy and get the rotten piece of garbage out of his department.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't going to watch the video, but I did.
I'm sending this video to My Brother who's been a cop over 30 years. I'm going to get his take on it. See what he can tell me.

groar............
Not all people in MO are like this.
Why MO has to be the major puppy mill state... isn't bad enough...
Were all a bunch of dog loving...spoiling our pups BIG TIME.
LTTP isn't the only one...count me in too. I have hundreds of friends & relatives that are just like LTTP & me in MO.

This wanna be cop needs a few lessons learned.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
no offense to posters from missouri, many of whom i know are wonderful dog owners (lttp!), but it seems like in general it's a cruddy state to be a dog in.

no doubt about THAT at all .... but it is the same everywhere throughout the small towns and rural areas of the entire southeastern US ..... TOTALLY different mindset towards companion animals..... those of us who care for our animals and treat them as members of our families and who care for ALL of God's creatures are definitely akin to salmon swimming upstream.....

i still can't watch this video .... the email that made the rescuer rounds a couple of weeks ago was very explicit in detailing what happened.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs