Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

Today at the butcher shop I bought the dog 3 'dog bones.' They were frozen which I understand is the right thing to do to avoid parasites, etc. They're femur bones.

I took one out of the freezer and gave it to her and she is running around carrying it and dropping it.

So now I am thinking I am supposed to thaw it before giving it to her.

Edit: Never mind, I just checked it and it has thawed. She just doesn't seem to want to eat it. She tip-toed around it like she was afraid of it, then picked it up and she's walking around with it. She wants to come up on the couch with it, but that's not gonna happen.

I have never seen a dog not love a bone before....wonder what she's thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Sometimes it takes a bit for the 'I gotz a bone!' factor to wear off. Sometimes Harper will wander around with a new bone, or toy, for a day or two before going to town on it.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Just an FYI, freezing does not kill parasites. Too many people seem to think it does, but it does not.

Does freezing kill all pathogens and parasites?

No. A common misunderstanding is that freezing makes food sterile (ie, it kills all microbes including bacteria, yeasts and moulds) – this is NOT the case. The best way to kill pathogens and parasites in food is to cook food thoroughly.

Although pathogens don’t multiply in the freezer, certain species can survive the freezing process by going into ‘hibernation’ or forming resistant cells (eg, spores2) and up to 70% may ‘come back to life’ again as the food begins to thaw.3 Salmonella have been known to survive for 7 years at –23°C in ice cream and Campylobacter can survive freezing if the initial contamination levels are high. Also, freezing does not affect toxins left by certain bacteria (eg, staphylococcal enterotoxin and botulinum toxins).

Freezing and thawing food (http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/consumers/food-safety-topics/foodborne-illnesses/freezing-thawing/fact-sheet-frozen-foods4_6.htm#P10_1410 - broken link)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
She'll figure it out.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
I am not sure that giving the dog a bone is safe. Best to not do it and get the ones from the pet
store. Bones may splinter etc., so be safe and toss it!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Sometimes it takes a bit for the 'I gotz a bone!' factor to wear off. Sometimes Harper will wander around with a new bone, or toy, for a day or two before going to town on it.
dave will do the same thing..... he runs around the house and yard with the bone in his mouth..... whining...... looking for the PERFECT hidey spot for it.... he gets SO worried that one of us will see where he hides it, that once he does hide it, he will quite often go back a few minutes later and get it and start the entire process all over again......

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I am not sure that giving the dog a bone is safe. Best to not do it and get the ones from the pet
store. Bones may splinter etc., so be safe and toss it!
the uncooked leg bones are fine..... even Dr. Fox recommends them..... cooking is what will cause them to splinter......

Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I would think a frozen bone on a hot day would be just the thing -- outdoors! 8)

Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 18,306 times
Might be that your dog isn't use to raw. :P
Some take a while to get it. One of ours didn't
know what to do with chicken wings.

Just make sure, that you never give them cooked bones.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
My dog does the exact same thing. We gave her a raw femur bone and she had no clue what to do with it. She picked it up walked away then dropped it. After a couple hours of disinterest, we threw it out.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Mine love the frozen femur bones and will work on them for hours. Really helps keep the teeth clean and they can get alot of good nutrition to support a healthy immune system by chewing on the bones and licking out the bone marrow. Sometimes the marrow is too rich and can cause diarrhea but after a few bones they tend to get use to it and no longer will get diarrhea.

Our Whole Foods Market sells out of bones the first two days they get a shipment in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs