Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I did contact the shelter. They are not open today so I left a voice mail and sent an e-mail describing the situation. We had our Golden's from young puppies, and never had this behavior. Even the potty training was a cinch with them. And now realizing that this is her personality, we know it was a bad choice. Patience is wearing thin.

Fence is not our answer. I do enjoy the walks and she is happy to go to the dog park.

Anyone who knows of someone interested in the Acworth area who may be interested......please let me know.
Contact your dog's veterinarian and ask if you might post a photo of your Jack Russell terrier there for someone who may be a suitable family.

Here is a link to Jack Russell breed specific rescue in GA:
Georgia Jack Russell Rescue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
Shelter should take back.They should made sure a fit for house as a terrier is always anxious, jumpy, never tires. The golden was good choice and look at pet finder and find a golden through them.

Glad found out early though and can tell shelter how dog is so they can tell next potential adoptee.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I hate to have to do this, but we have had Callie for two months now. She is a mix of a mix, at least that is what the vet has told us. She is about 6-8 months old. I have been reading up on Jack Russell terriers and I think she has a lot of these traits in her. We are in our 60's and need a dog who will settle down. I can see that this will not happen. We exercise her (dog parks), walks, etc. but we do not have a fenced in yard where she could run during the day on her own. We previously had Golden Retrievers, and when I first saw her at the shelter she looked like she had some Golden in her. She has been spayed, all her shots and is very healthy. We got her from Etowah Shelter Paulding county near Atlanta. I am thinking we are supposed to let them know changes because she has a microchip. Any suggestions?
Sad news, Jude.

Unfortunately, some breeds are just more active than others.

As others have suggested . . . contact the shelter first as they may be more than willing to work with you and Callie.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
This thread is a good reminder for those considering a dog to do their research into the breed before adopting!

I'd like to add to the OP, since you stated your age and the activitly level of the terrier being a problem, please consider adopting a senior dog. There are so many senior dogs out there that need good homes and are not good fits for families with rambunctious children.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This thread is a good reminder for those considering a dog to do their research into the breed before adopting!

I'd like to add to the OP, since you stated your age and the activitly level of the terrier being a problem, please consider adopting a senior dog. There are so many senior dogs out there that need good homes and are not good fits for families with rambunctious children.

When I first saw her at the shelter she looked just like a Golden Ret. puppy. They said at that time she was about 4 months. When I picked her up two weeks later, they said she was more like 6 mos. She had just been spayed that day and was friendly and very docile and was like that for a few days. I know you take a risk, but from what others have told me, a rescued dog is usually wonderful. We had no idea that she was part Jack Russell, and that is still questionalble. I have been told she may be part beagle also. She may be wonderful, but not for us. We are considering looking for an adult Golden. We had two great ones in the past and maybe if we take our time we will find another. I will keep you posted.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I'd also suggest breed rescue, they usually have some sort of evaluation to help match dogs to owners, some line of Goldens are really high drive too.

Shelters are run by people who might not be the most savy about behaviors.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs