Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,269 times

Advertisements

I hate to have to do this, but we have had Callie for two months now. She is a mix of a mix, at least that is what the vet has told us. She is about 6-8 months old. I have been reading up on Jack Russell terriers and I think she has a lot of these traits in her. We are in our 60's and need a dog who will settle down. I can see that this will not happen. We exercise her (dog parks), walks, etc. but we do not have a fenced in yard where she could run during the day on her own. We previously had Golden Retrievers, and when I first saw her at the shelter she looked like she had some Golden in her. She has been spayed, all her shots and is very healthy. We got her from Etowah Shelter Paulding county near Atlanta. I am thinking we are supposed to let them know changes because she has a microchip. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I hate to have to do this, but we have had Callie for two months now. She is a mix of a mix, at least that is what the vet has told us. She is about 6-8 months old. I have been reading up on Jack Russell terriers and I think she has a lot of these traits in her. We are in our 60's and need a dog who will settle down. I can see that this will not happen. We exercise her (dog parks), walks, etc. but we do not have a fenced in yard where she could run during the day on her own. We previously had Golden Retrievers, and when I first saw her at the shelter she looked like she had some Golden in her. She has been spayed, all her shots and is very healthy. We got her from Etowah Shelter Paulding county near Atlanta. I am thinking we are supposed to let them know changes because she has a microchip. Any suggestions?
That's sad to hear. Perhaps someone in your area could help you put up a fence? If it's a money thing, I've heard that there are groups willing to work with you in that respect. Not familiar with your area. Also, if you did get your dog from a reputable rescue, often times, they will make calls and follow-up visits to see how things are going and if it's not and you're having problems, such as you've described, I think they would take the dog back. I would say check with them first. I'm sure they would like to see that things work out well and will or should work with you in that regard.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
If your mind is definitely made up, yes, contact the shelter, hopefully it's no-kill and they will rehome her or they may suggest you rehome her if they're full, in that case do a home visit and check ref's, her future depends on you, you don't want her passed around from home to home.

A young puppy usually isn't a good fit for an older couple as they can be very energetic, it's too bad someone didn't show you some young adults or adults who prob. would have suited you better, unfort. most people get tempted by the cute little puppies and don't realize all the work they entail.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 AM

I did contact the shelter. They are not open today so I left a voice mail and sent an e-mail describing the situation. We had our Golden's from young puppies, and never had this behavior. Even the potty training was a cinch with them. And now realizing that this is her personality, we know it was a bad choice. Patience is wearing thin.

Fence is not our answer. I do enjoy the walks and she is happy to go to the dog park.

Anyone who knows of someone interested in the Acworth area who may be interested......please let me know.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
We had golden puppies when we were young too and they were great, wonderful family dogs who grew up w/ our kids, but we wouldnt get one again as they can be energetic, they were bred for hunting and thrive on tons of exercise and we just don't have the energy. That said, we'd consider a young adult or an adult (if we were looking). We did downsize and went w/ a smaller breed who enjoys walks but was bred to be a companion and it's worked out well (is now a senior), a short walk is the highlight of her day and tires her out (us too, LOL).

Is Acworth in GA - ?? Please do a home visit and check ref's.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 07-13-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Do you have a 'doggy day care' facility near your house? You could (if you are willing) pay for the dog to go to a day care every other day to get rid of the energy. You have a puppy! The dog will be high energy until it is older.

Also, check your contract with the shelter where you got the dog. Most contracts require you to bring it back to them if you decide to give the animal up. Be careful! You could be legally liable (aka - the shelter could sue you) if you bring the dog back to a different place than where you got it!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times
Jude, sorry you're going through this. A bad match is a bad match. Hopefully when the shelter opens tomorow you can work things out with them. In the meantime, B-R-E-A-T-H-E and try to have patience with the dog. He can't help how he is....hopefully the shelter will take him back and rehome him. If you need other options after contacting the shelter, we can help you on this board. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Its always unfortunate when there is a mismatch between a dog and human. If you have definately decided that she must go, I have to ask that you try and place her yourself if possible if the shelter you got her from is a kill shelter. Ask your vet if you can put a notice up on their bulletin board. If she looks predominantly like a single breed (i.e. JRT) also contact the national rescue for that breed to see if they can help with finding either a foster home or a forever home that is a good match for her personalitly. You can google to find the websites.

I'd also like to make a suggestion to you. If you think you may get another dog in the future, please consider adopting an older dog rather than a puppy. I think you will find that they are easier to train, bond just as strongly as a puppy and you completely skip the potty training and "terrible twos" stage. DH & I are in our fifties and have found its so much easier than trying to keep up with a high energy youngster!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
Sounds like she is too energetic for you and is definitely not the right match. I would wait to see what the shelter says, hopefully they can do a swap for you with the right match. Maybe get an older dog that is settled down.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Its always unfortunate when there is a mismatch between a dog and human. If you have definately decided that she must go, I have to ask that you try and place her yourself if possible if the shelter you got her from is a kill shelter. Ask your vet if you can put a notice up on their bulletin board. If she looks predominantly like a single breed (i.e. JRT) also contact the national rescue for that breed to see if they can help with finding either a foster home or a forever home that is a good match for her personalitly. You can google to find the websites.

I'd also like to make a suggestion to you. If you think you may get another dog in the future, please consider adopting an older dog rather than a puppy. I think you will find that they are easier to train, bond just as strongly as a puppy and you completely skip the potty training and "terrible twos" stage. DH & I are in our fifties and have found its so much easier than trying to keep up with a high energy youngster!

I did finally talk to the shelter and they said we could bring her in tomorrow. I really hate to send her back there. I just talked to a neighbor whose daughter has a Jack Russell and may want to get a companion. She will let me know tonight.

My husband and I did just discuss the fact about getting an older Golden Retriever. We will probably take a break and then start looking again. We have had a dog in the house for 25 years. After the last died last August, the house seemed empty. We know we have to look for the right match.

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs