Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Thanks guys. DH and I haven't really said anything to anyone yet. I can't talk about without crying. I think the vet might have actually said sarcoma, but I was just in shock.

Doesn't sound good at all.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,268 times
Sorry, I should clarify: we don't know anything yet. Best case it's just arthritis, and worst case is joint cancer. The vet mentioned amputation if it is, but we didn't talk too much about cancer, preferring to wait to find out what the radiologist says. I just realized I had written carcinoma, and I think the vet may have actually said sarcoma.

Lanie didn't seem to be having any pain when walking. She's the type to suffer in silence, and I noticed she yelped twice while having her nails trimmed Wednesday evening. I then noticed her "wrist" was swollen, but she was walking, running and jumping on it. When it was still swollen Thursday morning, I made a same-day vet appt. for Thursday afternoon. She had a bunch of x-rays from different angles, and also one on the other leg so they could compare the legs. The vet showed me the x-rays, and it's clear something is going on in the joint. They're getting an opinion from a radiologist, so we should know something by the end of the week. I know they also took blood, but I just couldn't think straight. I went in thinking she'd sprained her leg, and then found out it could be much worse.

We're really hoping it's only arthritis, but at least now we're in a position to get her whatever care she needs, whereas if we'd adopted her while in school or right after we wouldn't have as many treatment options. We're just trying to focus on positives and make sure she is comfy while we're waiting to find out. I'll post when we get an update.

She is just such a sweet, loving and passive girl.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Sorry, I should clarify: we don't know anything yet. Best case it's just arthritis, and worst case is joint cancer. The vet mentioned amputation if it is, but we didn't talk too much about cancer, preferring to wait to find out what the radiologist says. I just realized I had written carcinoma, and I think the vet may have actually said sarcoma.

Lanie didn't seem to be having any pain when walking. She's the type to suffer in silence, and I noticed she yelped twice while having her nails trimmed Wednesday evening. I then noticed her "wrist" was swollen, but she was walking, running and jumping on it. When it was still swollen Thursday morning, I made a same-day vet appt. for Thursday afternoon. She had a bunch of x-rays from different angles, and also one on the other leg so they could compare the legs. The vet showed me the x-rays, and it's clear something is going on in the joint. They're getting an opinion from a radiologist, so we should know something by the end of the week. I know they also took blood, but I just couldn't think straight. I went in thinking she'd sprained her leg, and then found out it could be much worse.

We're really hoping it's only arthritis, but at least now we're in a position to get her whatever care she needs, whereas if we'd adopted her while in school or right after we wouldn't have as many treatment options. We're just trying to focus on positives and make sure she is comfy while we're waiting to find out. I'll post when we get an update.

She is just such a sweet, loving and passive girl.
I do not want to get your hopes up but I will tell you that my GSD's arthitis symptoms were very similar. The fact that Lanie is not lethargic and has an appetite (?) is reassuring, although, of course, it does not mean that cancer is out of the question. However, this is the age (7-9 years) when arthritis begins to show, especially in larger dogs.

Try not to worry too much; I know that's not easy but, as you said, even if the prognosis is dire, you have many options that will ensure that Lanie has many happy years ahead of her.

BTW, I forgot to mention how pretty and sweet she looks in her pic. I especially love the big smile on her face

Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 PM

I am so happy! It's only arthritis!!!! We're going to continue to monitor the bump, but for now it's just arthritis. I never thought I would be this happy that my dog has arthritis

The vet left a voicemail, so I will call tomorrow for a plan of action, but I do want to get her started on supplements right away.

Thanks for all the good thoughts!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Quote:
I am so happy! It's only arthritis!!!! We're going to continue to monitor the bump, but for now it's just arthritis. I never thought I would be this happy that my dog has arthritis

The vet left a voicemail, so I will call tomorrow for a plan of action, but I do want to get her started on supplements right away.

WhooooHooooo....a big YAY for arthritis!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
WhooooHooooo....a big YAY for arthritis!
Thanks!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:

Oh, I am so happy for all of you. And, yes, it is so ridiculous when we are happy that it is arthritis or, rather, only arthritis. I like to think it's one of the joys of getting older--the wisdom of knowing that it could be so much worse

And, of course, I know exactly how you felt when you heard that message. In fact, it's hard to really breathe until you get that message; the knot in your stomach feels as if you're walking around with the wind knocked out of you. That vet's call is the sweetest relief.

Bring on the Cosequin!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Yaaay! I misread your original post to mean it was definitely bad news. Soooo glad it wasn't!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,217 times
That's great news to hear!! There are plenty of supplements out there that can help with her arthritis. So glad for the good news!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,582,849 times
Glad to hear the good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs