Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdenny View Post
My 4 year old beagle mix has begun to lick his anus A LOT. He always did this when he needed his glands expressed, now it is even when the glands are empty. He has been checked by the vet, no worms or parasites, no infection...some inflammation. Since this has always been my clue that his glands need expressing, I needed some advice. THe vet suggested a little prep-H !! Not toxic...better than steroids---been doing it and the licking has lessened. Will keep it up for a while.
(He is also a grain-free diet and extra fiber in his food (sweet potato, raw carrots... but he has been on this for quite a while, so it isn't "the answer")
How long ago were his sacs expressed?

Sometimes Artie's bum get a little itchy right after it's done and he'll scootch on the carpet to scratch. Sometimes I give him a good wipe with a towel and that helps. Else I give him a spray of hydrocortisone and then he's fine.

If your pup hasn't just recently gotten them expressed, it could mean that they didn't do a great job and he needs to have it done again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,389 times
Our dog goes every month to have her anal glands expressed.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,348 times
My Lab x collie hss anal gland problems too ,they have to be vkeared every 5 -6 weeks ,his stool is always very firm in morning ,but next 2 or 3 are a lot softer ,vet told me to give him Protexin profibre , which I have started him on, but will it make his first toilet more harder in which case he will get constipated ?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja7ke View Post
My Lab x collie hss anal gland problems too ,they have to be vkeared every 5 -6 weeks ,his stool is always very firm in morning ,but next 2 or 3 are a lot softer ,vet told me to give him Protexin profibre , which I have started him on, but will it make his first toilet more harder in which case he will get constipated ?
I'm not a vet but I don't think it will make him constipated. The fiber will help bulk up the stools which should help with the anal gland problems. You don't want the anal glands to get impacted/infected you could end up with big problems. I'd just follow the vet's instructions and call the vet back if you see any problems.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:26 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Before you start buying more expensive supplements, try mixing some plain old canned pumpkin into his food. Most dogs like the taste, it adds fiber which will help bulk up the stool and help express the glands. Don't use sweetened pumpkin pie filling....use plain canned pumpkin. Helped my previous dog who had this problem quite a bit. Replacing part of their regular food with canned pumpkin is a simple way to help a dog lose some weight too.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
My 3 year old WCS (spaniel) had been holding his poop all day and then producing a mountain of yellow fudge circa 9pm... I thought he'd eaten something but then the nibbling started and, boy, he got fixated on that! I put rubber gloves on, got him upside down and surrounded him with kitchen roll; I then had a very close inspection but instead of two pea-shaped lumps, his whole anus had disappeared behind THREE white swellings which made him squeak when touched BUT he kept rolling around presenting his anus so was obviously relieved that it was getting attended to... I took him round to the vet and they said the anal glands were so full they'd turned inside out... They expressed them in 2 minutes flat and he was literally bouncing off the walls with relief... HOWEVER, upon arriving home he continued to nibble the area around his anus & tail so, having read the posts above, I got a pack of baby wipes and GENTLY rubbed the whole area clean - repeated every 10 minutes - until he has now finally put his head on my lap and fallen asleep. Hopefully the whole thing will be cleared up in the morning but the advice to CLEAN the area post-vet was really helpful and possibly stopped him from making matters worse. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-17-2020, 05:16 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOfLondon View Post
My 3 year old WCS (spaniel) had been holding his poop all day and then producing a mountain of yellow fudge circa 9pm... I thought he'd eaten something but then the nibbling started and, boy, he got fixated on that! I put rubber gloves on, got him upside down and surrounded him with kitchen roll; I then had a very close inspection but instead of two pea-shaped lumps, his whole anus had disappeared behind THREE white swellings which made him squeak when touched BUT he kept rolling around presenting his anus so was obviously relieved that it was getting attended to... I took him round to the vet and they said the anal glands were so full they'd turned inside out... They expressed them in 2 minutes flat and he was literally bouncing off the walls with relief... HOWEVER, upon arriving home he continued to nibble the area around his anus & tail so, having read the posts above, I got a pack of baby wipes and GENTLY rubbed the whole area clean - repeated every 10 minutes - until he has now finally put his head on my lap and fallen asleep. Hopefully the whole thing will be cleared up in the morning but the advice to CLEAN the area post-vet was really helpful and possibly stopped him from making matters worse. Thanks everyone!
So glad to heat he positive outcome! Yes, it's always a tough call on when to take them back in or just let them get through it. Our mini poddle mix reacts poorly every time we take him to be groomed and it's tough to tell if he's reacting to anal glad expression issues, the close sanitary or just his emeotional reaction to the whol procedure. He licks his [former] ******* area after being groomed no matter how careful they are, and acts like his anal sacs are full. But we give him a couple of days and it seems like he is just fine. And to think they are desceneded from wolves in the wild......well, anyway, always glad to hear of a happy ending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs