Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times

Advertisements

BTW - this is Munchi's new 'children' that she's adopted. Once again, she immediately began mothering them.

They were born a week ago tomorrow. Mom was hit by a car when they were a couple days old. When I picked them up they were barely alive. Freezing cold and went, barely moving. I was surprised they made it to my house and shocked they all lived through the night. Munchi did a fabulous job cleaning and warming them after my daughter and I got them some warm kitten milk in their bellies.

5 boys and one girl. The girl and three of the boys are white with grey patches. One is solid grey. One is a solid cream color.
Attached Thumbnails
Last night my best friend almost died-new-kittens.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I have goose bumps reading this! ((HUGS))
I had to give a puppy mouth to mouth one time...it was either that or die before my very eyes.
So glad your hubby was there for you! These furbutts of ours are so precious!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have goose bumps reading this! ((HUGS))
I had to give a puppy mouth to mouth one time...it was either that or die before my very eyes.
So glad your hubby was there for you! These furbutts of ours are so precious!
I had to do CPR on my son when he was 3 months old. For years when I had to re-cert for my CPR it brought back nightmares. I couldn't imagine having to do it to Munch too. I'm so glad hubby was there. For all the damage his body has suffered from his career choices, he's still so calm under pressure and immediately goes into field commander, shouting orders to everyone. It was a shock for Debbie and she thought he was angry at her. They had a talk after and he apologized. Cop/Paramedic/Fire Fighter in command position doesn't take time to sugar coat or ask nicely; they just demand. It was a side of him she'd never seen. Ironically it's one of my favorite sides of him! LOL When not in that mode he's very happy and easy going with people, so it was one heck of a shock for her.

I'm looking around for someone that can do a pet CPR course. If I can find someone, I'm going to pay for every one of my foster parents and volunteers to attend. I think my fosters are now going to be required to take the course at my expense. 99% chance they'll never need it, but I'd feel better knowing if they did that they could.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,575 times
Oh that made me tear up to read it - I can't imagine what you went through. Am so glad Munchi is okay, and my word, thank goodness for your dh's knowledge and quick action.

I used to leave collars on, mostly so that if my dog got lost (one is a rescue that is a runner), someone could easily see my phone# and call quickly, rather than wait to read the microchip (this was mostly back when there wasn't such universality amongst the chip readers). Then I actually read a story online about a similar collar choking event where a dog did not have the fortune of your Munchi, which left me horrified. I coupled that with the fact that I'd never dream of leaving a halter on a horse unattended (personal experiences with friends and people we knew - actual deaths can and do happen). Not even a breakway halter (when horses get panicked, it can be life threatening to try to save them due to size).

And I've never left collars on my dogs when unattended again. We also do the harness thing, which I use for walks (they like it better) and as a car seat belt!

Hope the adrenaline rush and thoughts of what almost happened start to fade, but it would take me awhile to be right about it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default Pet CPR & The American Red Cross

It would appear Red Cross offers a program

First Aid Skills Can Help Save a Life

Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It would appear Red Cross offers a program

First Aid Skills Can Help Save a Life
Just sent an e-mail to my local chapter to see if they provide the course. Thank you!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
OMG, I was in tears reading your story! Thank goodness Munchi's okay and that your husband was skilled and quick enough to save her!!!

Thank you for sharing this very important story, I hope it will save others from going through a similar frightening and gut-wrenching ordeal...!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,298 times
So glad everyone is okay! Our little girldog has a harness and only wears it when she's out of the house...at home, she's in her birthday suit! I have always done it that way just because I figured it would be more comfortable for her, but know I know it's safer too. Thanks for sharing. ((hugs)))

Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 AM

577 posts, read 1,759,520 times
So glad munchie is okay.. how scary! I understand about not having the collars anymore but please those of you with the "naked dogs" make sure they are chipped. I know so many owners that lose their dogs and have no tags or chip. No one ever thinks their dog will be lost but it happens to even the best of dog parents.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Glad to hear that Munchi is OK and back with her kitty babies What a true momma!

Alot of people laugh at the thought of Canine CPR but CPR be it human or canine is an importnat skill to learn as you just never know when that skill may save a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs