Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times

Advertisements

I wrote this last night when I'd finally stopped crying and wasn't shaking so bad. Please read it. Please share it. Thank God my husband was there and knew canine CPR and saved her. I'd hate anyone to have to go through this.

I can't copy and paste off there. It's the rescue's blog that I write. Long story short, Munchi and one of the puppies were playing and her collar got twisted around his jaw. They both freaked out and Munchi was strangled.

Hilltop Animal Rescue Team: Life-saving information - please read!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Oh my gosh, Ronni, my heart was racing a mile a minute reading that. I can only IMAGINE how YOU felt -- ACK!!!!!!

Thank God that Munchi is fine.

Rough day today, perhaps, but smooth sailing from here on out. That's an order, Munchi! Also, no more scaring your Mama.

Big hugs to you and small delicate hugs to Munchi.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Canine CPR classes are offered in a number of metropolitan areas. It is a good thing DH ws there. I think all restraints have certain inherent dangers be they collars or harnesses. Glad the dog is doing ok now...a miracle for certain.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
My dogs only wear their harnesses if we go somwhere. Around the house and in my fenced back yard they are "naked".

Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks guys. I'm still not past it, not even close. I think of it and well up. It'll take time but it was a good wake up call.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm still not past it, not even close. I think of it and well up. It'll take time but it was a good wake up call.
Completely understandable. Most importantly is that you still have that furbaby to love.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,915 times
That is so scary. I called my DD at home and told her to take Bella's collars off. She doesn't like being naked but she'll get used to it. Glad your pup is ok Mrs.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,739 times
Oh mrs1885, how scary, but I'm so glad this had a happy ending! I have heard about the collars getting locked up - I think they make a "break away" version for this purpose.

Here's to Munchi's speedy recovery and getting back to normal, and for you as well!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
OMGosh that must have been so scary! Thankfully for your husband doing CPR Munchi will be ok. Well wishes to Munchi and big hug for your husband.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone.

Hubby said as soon as she was 'with it' the first thing she did is to go her kittens to make sure they were ok. She wanted back in with them so she could take care of them. Needless to say, she did not get what she wanted until he knew she was ok and the vet had cleared her.

I had another rescue friend this morning tell me about the break away collars. Think I'm sticking with the harness idea and just putting them on the dogs when they need to go for walks. Other than that, I'm running a doggie 'clothing' banned house!

Aside from the second chance with her and a serious eye opening that could save someone else's dog from going through this, hubby had a chat with our former vet about his office manager. As we'd always suspected, he had no clue what was going on with her. Our shelter coordinator, who is also a board member on the local HSUS office, was denied bringing a dog in that had a severely imbedded collar on Friday because he had a birthday party to leave for in 45 minutes and she didn't want him to be late. *shock*

Luckily, they took him to the clinic and working very slowly and putting him on pain meds they had there, eventually they were able to get the collar out and start him on some anti-biotics they had there, so it worked out in the long run, but it's just another example of her attitude. Refused to let anyone even talk to the vet. They've got an appointment for the dog at the vet's on Thursday and when Tammy gets in the room alone with him she's going to let him know what happened and that it's just another of many issues with her.

The vet did tell hubby he had no clue. The letter I sent him with the last payment we sent in last year he never knew about - shock. Of course the payment was applied to our account, so I know it made it through the mail, but she obviously read it and destroyed it. I'd marked the envelope that it was a personal and confidential letter for the vet and she opened it and threw it out anyway.

He told hubby he plans on having a very serious long chat with her this morning. I hope he chews her a new one and she leaves. I told hubby is she leaves we'll go back in a heartbeat. Our new vet is wondeful but nearly an hour away, as is the clinic we use for our spay/neuter. Would be nice to have everything in one place and right down the road again. Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs