Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Mine get whatever were eating and thier own biscuit/hb if we go thru the drive thru and they always pre-wash the dishes before going in the dishwasher. Like Fontucky's dog, they have learned not to beg, well at least not to look while we are eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Pre-wash stories are the best!!

And the ice cube one is funny too!!

When my dog gets something that is unusual for her, she will play with it before eating. One day she got one popcorn kernel and played with it for many minutes before eating, as if it were "alive".

Funny, though, I "accidentally" drop some small pieces of roast beef or chicken while I am eating sometimes... never a piece of lettuce or radish, just roast beef and chicken... and oddly enough, they are "mysteriously" gone within a few seconds... I wonder why?!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is how Nanners begs, the indirect method:
haha that's adorable. i am teaching sadie that behavior (looking away/holding back to get what she wants) so maybe that will replace her begging eventually. i might start working on it in that context, actually!

she likes ice cubes too, but they seem to surprise her at first. she drops them and then crunches them up from the floor.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
A little piece of whatever I'm eating, as long as she's not looking at me. This is how Nanners begs, the indirect method:

I also let her lick the ice cream bowl.
I think my dog and yours may have gone to the same school.
Mine will look up onto the ceiling, for however long it takes to get others to look up and then goes for the goodies. His is the distraction method.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,489 times
Part of the problem with dogs eating people food for me isn't when my dog eats something I've given her, that I know about and I'm o.k. with.
It's when she ummm finds something (steals!) she shouldn't have.

Approximately 3 years ago the week prior to Christmas I was frantic as items I ordered from QVC had not yet arrived. I had gotten the gift pack of Mrs Prindables apples and other items. If you are not familiar with them they are the apples which are rolled in chocolate and lots of other gooey, yummy and ridiculously fattening things (all bad for dogs too!).
The order was way overdue but QVC told me it was delivered.
While we were on the phone going back and forth arguing over this I looked out my deck doors and there was my Molly with a chocolate apple in her mouth, ribbons hanging down from the wrapper, staring back at me.
Needless to say I wigged out, ran out with the phone (cordless) and took off after her. QVC operator must have thought I was crazy as I was yelling for Molly, weezing like a teapot from running and also yelling at them for tossing the package over the fence by my back door where Molly could tear it up. Think I also threatened to sue them if Molly had any damage from ingesting a couple of pounds of chocolate but by that time I was irrational.
My evil beast eluded me after a long, long chase by going to ground under a major azalea bush which is the size of a VW beetle. There she finished off her apple.
Later discovered she had been eating all the apples and she also devoured chocolate covered pretzels that were in the box too.
LOL I found all the sticks the apples were on and the wrapping, she even ate the cores!
Amazingly she had no ill effects from the chocolate.
QVC very kindly sent another shipment to replace the devoured one for free.
One of my neighbors that I've never been close to, well they now think I'm crazy. Thankfully my neighbors didn't tape this (they were too stunned watching me circle yard chasing apple dog while screaming)or I would have been crazy lady on youtube.
I blame the dog!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
My dog was abandoned by people who only fed him people food so he prefers that. He is slowly coming off of it but I still feed him veggies and fruit.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Part of the problem with dogs eating people food for me isn't when my dog eats something I've given her, that I know about and I'm o.k. with.
It's when she ummm finds something (steals!) she shouldn't have.

Approximately 3 years ago the week prior to Christmas I was frantic as items I ordered from QVC had not yet arrived. I had gotten the gift pack of Mrs Prindables apples and other items. If you are not familiar with them they are the apples which are rolled in chocolate and lots of other gooey, yummy and ridiculously fattening things (all bad for dogs too!).
The order was way overdue but QVC told me it was delivered.
While we were on the phone going back and forth arguing over this I looked out my deck doors and there was my Molly with a chocolate apple in her mouth, ribbons hanging down from the wrapper, staring back at me.
Needless to say I wigged out, ran out with the phone (cordless) and took off after her. QVC operator must have thought I was crazy as I was yelling for Molly, weezing like a teapot from running and also yelling at them for tossing the package over the fence by my back door where Molly could tear it up. Think I also threatened to sue them if Molly had any damage from ingesting a couple of pounds of chocolate but by that time I was irrational.
My evil beast eluded me after a long, long chase by going to ground under a major azalea bush which is the size of a VW beetle. There she finished off her apple.
Later discovered she had been eating all the apples and she also devoured chocolate covered pretzels that were in the box too.
LOL I found all the sticks the apples were on and the wrapping, she even ate the cores!
Amazingly she had no ill effects from the chocolate.
QVC very kindly sent another shipment to replace the devoured one for free.
One of my neighbors that I've never been close to, well they now think I'm crazy. Thankfully my neighbors didn't tape this (they were too stunned watching me circle yard chasing apple dog while screaming)or I would have been crazy lady on youtube.
I blame the dog!
It's really not funny. Not at all. But I have visions of you in a nightgown and slippers, with rollers in your hair, chasing after and yelling at your dog with the neighbors gawking. So, yeah, I'm laughing -- WITH you, not AT you, by the way -- even though it's not funny and I can just imagine your anger and fear.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,489 times
LOL DandJ actually was running around in jeans, sweatshirt and socks. Ran out so fast didn't have time to grab shoes. Needless to say the socks were history, think I even ran through a few doggie presents (ewww).
Think I scared the neighbors as I was also swearing up a storm at time too!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our dogs get dog food. And dog treats. And sometimes carrots. That's it.

BUT THAT'S SO CRUEL!!!!

/s

My dog gets his dog food and his dog treats. I will NEVER give him table scraps. My family down in VA does that and the dogs just hover around the table any time they eat. My dog just does his own thing since we have not associated our dining time with his begging time.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Popcorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs