Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 33,177 times

Advertisements

How terribly sad!! Poor baby. I can't imagine how you would make that mistake though! Coyotes are wild animals, and because of it, they wouldn't be outwardly friendly towards humans...it would have run away from the officer who originally captured it or at least put up a huge fight before it was captured! ( I would think anyway!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
yeah, looks aside, the dog's behavior should have been enough to clue the shelter workers in to the fact that this was not a wild animal.

that being said, this is an excellent psa for making sure your dog has proper identification at all times! even if what happened to this dog wasn't so sensational, she could have easily been put to sleep or adopted out to someone else because she didn't have a collar or chip.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreVietato View Post
How terribly sad!! Poor baby. I can't imagine how you would make that mistake though! Coyotes are wild animals, and because of it, they wouldn't be outwardly friendly towards humans...it would have run away from the officer who originally captured it or at least put up a huge fight before it was captured! ( I would think anyway!)
Yes and no. I've known a few people with hybrid dogs ("coydogs") that were completely tame. They are illegal [to own] in a lot of places, so that may have been why the shelter workers released it. Even then, a microchip may not have helped b/c the shelter workers would have thought it to be an illegally kept animal, although the chip would at least given them the info to call the owner. But then, if they did think it to be an illegal hybrid, they wouldn't have wanted to keep it long on the premises either. It's just a sad situation all around. I am still hoping and praying that Copper makes it home safely--Go Copper!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs