Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But... as long as the rescues are able to successfully place their dogs in a timely manner, there actually is no problem... for them.
The problem is that people get frustrated dealing with overly restrictive rescue rules and just go buy from a BYB. That's part of the problem we're trying to prevent. But some rescues - . There are some so bad that I just wouldn't blame people for turning to a BYB instead. It's insane.

There's no reason you should have to own a home to adopt a pet. Plenty people rent and own pets with no problem, including people that own 'bad breeds'.

There's no reason you should have to have a fenced yard to own a dog. Plenty people leash walk their pets successfully, and if you think about it, that's probably better than someone just letting one out back unattended. Both pet and owner get better exercise, and the pet is supervised so you know it's not going to eat something it shouldn't or get tangled up with a snake or something.

I've seen some ridiculous things from other rescues. Sadly, most are from the north. And don't get me started on the average northern rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The problem is that people get frustrated dealing with overly restrictive rescue rules and just go buy from a BYB. That's part of the problem we're trying to prevent. But some rescues - . There are some so bad that I just wouldn't blame people for turning to a BYB instead. It's insane.

There's no reason you should have to own a home to adopt a pet. Plenty people rent and own pets with no problem, including people that own 'bad breeds'.

There's no reason you should have to have a fenced yard to own a dog. Plenty people leash walk their pets successfully, and if you think about it, that's probably better than someone just letting one out back unattended. Both pet and owner get better exercise, and the pet is supervised so you know it's not going to eat something it shouldn't or get tangled up with a snake or something.

I've seen some ridiculous things from other rescues. Sadly, most are from the north. And don't get me started on the average northern rescue.
agreed.....

when i do home visits, i am not looking for the perfect home .... they don't exist .... i am looking for a home that will provide love, security, safety and stability..... forever .....

Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
I do feel that some rescue groups have too many rules and I really hate the ones that only have cute adorable little dogs and then want to put the adoption fee at $400.00+(more like selling than rescue) but I do think the majority of rescue groups really care about their dogs and are trying to do the best they can. We also have to realize that we, here are avid dog people and we research and learn from one another but most people just see a cute puppy and dont realize the responsibility that goes into owning and caring for a dog and it is these people that the rules have to be made for.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Why is that? I have a 90 lb weim and a 5 lb yorkie. I saw this on several rescues and wondered why they would make this a requirement. I understand no small kids. I have a 30 lb JRT who is a great fly catcher but wouldn't hurt another dog. He is a big baby.

BTW it was a Yorkie mix and another one was a chi-yorkie..

can i have your dog

Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,788 times
mrs1885- wow-26 dogs in your house?! Are they all spayed/ neutered? Are you a rescue? Just curious. Must be very costly:food, flea/tick, heartworm monthly med. How do u do it?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunterinwv View Post
can i have your dog
I'm going to jump to a conclusion here and say not even if a gun was to Keepers head could you have either of those dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighIsMyHome View Post
mrs1885- wow-26 dogs in your house?! Are they all spayed/ neutered? Are you a rescue? Just curious. Must be very costly:food, flea/tick, heartworm monthly med. How do u do it?
I run a rescue. We're closing now actually. My job provided $1000 a month to the rescue for food, preventatives, vet bills etc. Without the job I can't afford it anymore so we've had to stop pulling dogs from the shelters, which is killing me. I'm still active in the rescue community though and do what I can to help. I'm actually fostering a dog for another rescue and I volunteer for the local Humane Society. I've been working with their president for a long time and she's doing some amazing things there. I do a lot of transports, courtesy listings to find dogs new homes, vollunteer at adoption evets, and still continue to do educational programs for the community and speak at county / town hall meetings against BSL. I'm also still doing free consultations for other rescues and shelters.

Yes, all the dogs in the rescue as well as our personal pets are all spayed and neutered. They are all current on vaccinations, heartworm negative, de-wormed quarterly, etc. We didn't spare any expense. As a rescue you can't. Sadly, it also means doing any rescue in the SE part of the US is very expensive because people here seldom adopt. They'd rather buy from a BYB or get a dog for free in the paper and breed it to make money. Lots of puppy pimps in this area. Very sad.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
I can understand a weight or size rule for a certain dog and its temperament. But not a blanket rule... seems strange, but then, some rescues have some strange rules....

my GSD thinks hes a cat (probably cause he's been around them his whole life). Don't get me wrong, he's very protective (of us and the cats, ironically enough LOL), and makes several patrols around the perimeter of our property several times a day and has no fear of chasing off anything that doesn't belong...but when hes inside (which is 90% of the time).... yeah. he thinks hes a cat. LOL

Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

At the dog boarding place I work part time at, we have a separate yard for the smaller dogs. Tiny dogs and big dogs don't always mix well.
This is why I get very anxious when people come to the dog park with their rat terriers and chihuahuas and min-pins and decline to use the partitioned off, and very large, area that's reserved for small dogs. Happens all the time, though. Thus far, my Willie has not mistaken one for the rabbits and squirrels and cats that he and other hounds of his ilk love to chase, but it could happen. If I had a dog that small, I would absolutely keep them confined to the area set up specifically for them, were I using the dog park.

I'm also all for rescues setting up whatever rules and criteria they deem necessary, but I do have to quirk an eyebrow at the ones who have criteria so particular that it will seriously hamper their ability to get the dogs adopted out at all. We were rejected by a rescue because we work outside the home. They said they will only adopt to those who work from home. Mmmm, okay, good luck with that. How many dogs do you move? We easily found another rescue who was a pleasure to work with, though, and that's how we got Willie.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Dont even get me started on rescues , some that is I have had my fair share of ridiculousness concerning rescues and or shelters . My Aunt has two german shepards and two toy chihuahuas and has never had a problem . One german shepard rolls over on his back to accomdate the male chihuahua and everyone is spayed and neutered . when she takes all four for a walk the chihuahuas lead and the gsds stay behind . But boy you should see when someone even gets close to my aunt those little ones start and then the gsds take up the slack LOL it is so funny . she crates all of them at night or they will sleep in the bed with her . I cannot imagine someone telling her she could not adopt a 20+ lb dog with a toy breed . Ha !!! come see her house .

Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunterinwv View Post
can i have your dog
LOL.. Mrs1885 is right.. although after being snowed in for 4 days last week I might have considered it.

I also tried to adopt a puppymill dog from a rescue and they wouldn't let me because I had other dogs. I explained that I had adopted a puppymill yorkie previously and worked through all his issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs