Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

So you all know that Artie is grain-intolerant. Yeah, yeah, you know LOTS of stuff about Artie... AND about his poops.

ANYway.

Artie apparently likes lamb. I know this because I give him one Stella & Chewy's patty along with his kibble (Wellness Core mixed with Taste of the Wild [bison/venison]) and although he used to love the duck patty the best, he seems to really prefer the lamb one now.

I had found some Natural Balance duck and potato kibble that I started to mix in with his regular kibble mix, thinking that he'd love the duck. He didn't really care, I guess because it didn't have the same ducky flavor as the patty. OK, no problem.

So now I'm wondering if there's a kibble out there where the primary ingredient is lamb. It has to be a grain-free food. Anyone know of any?

Thanks,
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
raw lamb? Honesty, I did not even know there was a specifically made dog food that is grain free.....

Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
raw lamb? Honesty, I did not even know there was a specifically made dog food that is grain free.....
No, not raw. Stella & Chewy's patties are raw, actually (frozen patties) but I buy the freeze-dried ones to add to Artie's kibble. I can't afford to feed him ONLY the patties and, aside from that, I want him to have hard, crunchy kibble as well, to naturally clean his teeth.

I mean lamb as the primary protein source, rather than the chicken as the source in Wellness Core or the bison/venison as the proteins in Taste of the Wild.

I've found a few that have lamb as the primary protein source, but they're always "lamb and rice" and Artie can't have rice, because it's a grain. He can't even have brown rice, sadly.

Yeah, they definitely make grain-free foods. All of the above (Wellness Core, Taste of the Wild, and Stella & Chewy's) are all grainless.

Artie's poops rebel against grain, and not in a good way.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
If you look at the Dog food review website and type in "lamb" in the search bar there are a few that come up with that as the main ingredient. I sifted through a few and found the following:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=2256&cat=3

Acana Grasslands (5 star rating)
Ingredients:
Lamb meal, sweet potato, raw de-boned lamb, peas, fresh whole eggs, sun-cured
alfalfa, sunflower oil, fresh de-boned walleye, pumpkin, fresh de-boned northern pike,
apples, carrots, turnip greens, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse),
juniper berries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, angelica root, chicory
root, red clover, red raspberry leaf, dandelion root, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers,
chamomile flowers, rosemary extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus
faecium.
Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
If you look at the Dog food review website and type in "lamb" in the search bar there are a few that come up with that as the main ingredient. I sifted through a few and found the following:

Dog Food Reviews - Acana Grasslands - Powered by ReviewPost

Acana Grasslands (5 star rating)
Ingredients:
Lamb meal, sweet potato, raw de-boned lamb, peas, fresh whole eggs, sun-cured
alfalfa, sunflower oil, fresh de-boned walleye, pumpkin, fresh de-boned northern pike,
apples, carrots, turnip greens, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse),
juniper berries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, angelica root, chicory
root, red clover, red raspberry leaf, dandelion root, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers,
chamomile flowers, rosemary extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus
faecium.
Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).
Thanks so much! I'm familiar with that website of course, but I didn't realize that you could search by ingredient. GREAT! THANKS!

Now I just have to get my local store to start carrying Acana. GRRRR!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
I think you can get it at amazon.com.

There was an orijen regional red meat formula too but it had wild boar as the first ingredient, followed by lamb. Might be worth a try? If he's never had boar before he may enjoy that as well?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
You should be able to request that one get a specific shipment in for you D. I did that with a food that wasn't carried where I buy Buster and Bella's food. Ended up not going to pick it up, but they told me that I could do a weekly order or something like that. Check where with you buy Artie's food and see if they can do anything for you.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I think you can get it at amazon.com.

There was an orijen regional red meat formula too but it had wild boar as the first ingredient, followed by lamb. Might be worth a try? If he's never had boar before he may enjoy that as well?
The shipping makes the cost of the already-expensive food even more cost-prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
You should be able to request that one get a specific shipment in for you D. I did that with a food that wasn't carried where I buy Buster and Bella's food. Ended up not going to pick it up, but they told me that I could do a weekly order or something like that. Check where with you buy Artie's food and see if they can do anything for you.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm going in to buy some treats and shampoo for him later this week. I'll ask them if they can swing something for me to get Acana and/or Orijen locally.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm going in to buy some treats and shampoo for him later this week. I'll ask them if they can swing something for me to get Acana and/or Orijen locally.

They just special ordered one bag for me and called me when it came in and then told me they could put in a monthly order for it and it would just be for me. I changed my mind on feeding them this particular food once they got it into the store so they just stocked it for someone else to pick up.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
D, we use Acana and Orijen. In Canada, Acana makes a formula that's Lamb and Apples but it's not available in the US! I'm planning on smuggling some back when we go to BC, but I have a feeling it will be confiscated. We'll most likely be driving in from Seattle, so we'll see what happens! It's a shame that they have far more variety than we ever will here.

PC actually loves the grasslands and red meat. Those are his favorites. I wish I'd see you when I came to the East coast because I'd bring you some to try. I have 5 different bags here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs