Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM

89 posts, read 189,253 times

Advertisements

We are flying to California from Florida. We are taking our papillon on the flight in cabin. Has anyone had experience flying with a small dog? Any advise would be appreciated. She is 6 years old. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,520 times
I would definitely get her used to the crate/bag you are using for the trip and do some practice runs in your car where she has to stay in the crate for a long while. You might talk to your vet, if she's real exciteable or yippy you may want to give her a sedative or at least use some rescue remedy (herbal tonic you can get at health food and pet stores) I prefer not to use a sedative but for a 5 hour flight I may consider it for one of my dogs just because she is so excitable. Ever been next to a crying baby on a flight? A barking dog is worse

Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I have flown with Maltese, domestic and international.

They must be in a crate under the seat in front of yours. She will be fine, don't worry.

Remember to call and confirm her reservation one or two days before the flight, usually the number of pets in-cabin is very limited. When you get to the airline counter, ask for a pet tag that you will stick on/wrap around the handle of her crate, so all airport employees can easily identify she was "approved" as a passenger.

Don't carry a lot of carry-on luggage, remember you will be carrying her crate through the terminal and will also have to take her out so that the crate can go through x-ray machines.

At Petco (I bought mine there, but I believe many places sell it) they sell a standard in-cabin approved crate that will be ok with any airline. I have never had any issues. It has removable velcro flaps so she can look around and have plenty of air. Keep them open so that she also - and very importantly - can see you at all times.

Offer her water (if you need one, there is a canvas-like impermeable foldable water bowl, at most pet stores) which is very useful imo. Avoid feeding her a few hours before the flight, some dogs are sensitive and might feel sick.

Put an absorbing pad on the bottom of her crate just in case an "accident" happens and take a couple with you.

Let her in and out of the crate for a few minutes a day a few days before the flight, to show her it is ok to be there and she will be out shortly.

My dogs were quite lively but I never asked for the vet to medicate them. I believe I made the right choice for my dogs, but this is your decision.

And don't forget to give her a treat when you get to your destination.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
You have been given some good advice. I would only add: Make your traveling crate will fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions are given on your airlines website. AND...make sure the row you are in, indeed has that room for the crate. We had the experience where the one and only row on the plane, that we were in...had no room for anything under the seats in front of us.
Do make a reservation for your pet. # of pets on flights are limited.
Have a harness on the dog. You will have to remove her from the crate to go through security. It can get hectic, and a harness insures your good grip on the dog, so that she doesn't escape your arms.
Have some wet wipes and a few paper towels with you and a zip lock bag, for clean-ups (she may get sick to her stomach) or worse, an accident on the plane.
Once she is under the seat, you will not be able to remove her from the crate...so she is there for the duration of the flight. Have a "quiet" toy...no squeakers for her to play with in the crate. We were on a flight where a dog did nothing but "squeak" her toy the entire flight. Very annoying to other passengers! Good luck and safe flight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs