Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM

119 posts, read 467,920 times

Advertisements

First thing I want to say is that Buddy is very healthy and very happy but he just has become a little lazy. He is 2 1/2 YO but up to the last 6 months he always wanted to play or he would snuggle(all 80 lbs of him) in my lap but even though he still plays some, he seems to lay and sleep on the couch more. He has never been a dog that has craved lots of attention but he use to snuggle in my lap once in a while and he doesnt do that hardly at all anymore. We walk daily and he loves that and he loves to go on car rides and he enjoys tug of war but after about 15 minutes of play or when we get home from our walk he sacks out on the couch. He isnt overweight and is in great health but just seems to be a little more lazy as he is getting out of the puppy stage. He comes to us for a quick pet or sniff then it is off to his couch. Is this normal Lab behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Sounds like marriage...did you marry him?

*grin*

No, j/k...labs take about 3 years to settle down into adult doghood. It's probably normal overall.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:34 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,163 times
I have a Lab mix as well and yes they do take a while to settle down. Mine still tries to crawl into my lap and he is 10yrs old. He only recently stopped dragging all the toys out of the bin and running around like a crazy man with them. He is probably ok and you did say he was in good health. I don't want to scare you or anything but when my Lab mix begin to show signs of really slowing down sleeping alot etc. kind of unusual for him the Vet found a heart murmer during one of his exams. This was part of the reason he got fatigued easily after he got put on meds he bounced back to his normal goofy self.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I just had him to the vet for a checkup last month and the Vet said he was doing great but I will keep the heart murmur in mind if I see any more signs. I dont think it is health related though because he still goes crazy and dances and barks when you ask him if he wants to go for a ride or a walk and him and his new Sheltie sister run laps in the yard. I think he just has a mature personality and it is more about food and sleeping on his couch, and playing and snuggling are fine as long as they dont interfere with the first two LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
The general wisdom about labs and life stages:

3 years a young dog

3 years a good dog

3 years an old dog

_ years golden bonus

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
First thing I want to say is that Buddy is very healthy and very happy but he just has become a little lazy. He is 2 1/2 YO but up to the last 6 months he always wanted to play or he would snuggle(all 80 lbs of him) in my lap but even though he still plays some, he seems to lay and sleep on the couch more. He has never been a dog that has craved lots of attention but he use to snuggle in my lap once in a while and he doesnt do that hardly at all anymore. We walk daily and he loves that and he loves to go on car rides and he enjoys tug of war but after about 15 minutes of play or when we get home from our walk he sacks out on the couch. He isnt overweight and is in great health but just seems to be a little more lazy as he is getting out of the puppy stage. He comes to us for a quick pet or sniff then it is off to his couch. Is this normal Lab behavior?
Sounds pretty normal lab behavior to me. Perhaps mix up the walks and play activities. He could be bored and you may have reinforced that coming home for him means couch-time. Have you tried going over to his couch to snuggle with him? Will he leave his couch to participate in other activity if you call him? Is he food motivated? Or, does he just ignore you to sleep? Don't know where you are located but high heat/humidity may also come into play here. Do you take him swimming?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 AM

It has been really hot lately and because of that we have even skipped a few walks. He does still enjoy his walks when we take them though. I hadnt taken him swimming in a while, that is a great suggestion, he loves that. As far as snuggling if you go snuggle with him he will move to the other side of the couch. He has always been more interested in play than snuggling though. I have noticed in the last few days my little rescue sheltie, Siera, has brought some of the play and wanting attention back out in him. With it being so hot we have stayed in and played and he has ran around with his toys while little Siera chases him and plays with him. I think she will be really good for him. Also because she loves attention he has been sitting on my lap blocking her so he can have some loving too.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM

408 posts, read 809,624 times
Same thing happened to my female Doberman once she turned 2. That is when dogs are considered "adults" and I think that may be part of the reason. She also gained more weight once she turned 2 and that could also be part of it as well. As for the snuggling I can't give any advice on that Dobermans are the most loving breed IMO. She isn't happy unless she is sitting ON my lap lol. As for our German Shepherd she refuses to snuggle ever, I believe it's just her personality she is a very independent dog.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM

241 posts, read 713,293 times
Assuming that everything else is normal with him (appetite, no vomiting/diarrhea/coughing/sneezing) then you need to get your dog's thyroid level checked. Hypothyroidism is fairly common in dogs and if his thyroid level is low then you may notice some or all of the following:

Lethargy/decreased exercise tolerance
Weight Gain
Heat-seeking behaviours

Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM

100 posts, read 550,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post

Time for some hunting. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs