Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times

Advertisements

I have dogs and cannot stand to hear my own bark. I bring them right in if they do.

The last place we lived we had great neighbors expect for the barking dog. I'm not sure if they couldn't hear it or if they didn't care but it drove me crazy sometimes. I had been taking a few college classes and it was near impossible to study with all the noise. The neighbors had an extra lot, a garage between the house and yard but unfortunately the yard was right beside our house. Old neighborhood so our house was pretty close to the lot line and there was no escaping the noise. I was so happy to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 AM

408 posts, read 809,543 times
I can't stand it when my dogs bark either, I always take care of it! A simple "no" does the trick...our neighbors have a beagle and I'm sorry to those who own beagles but they are the most annoying dog ever. 6:00 A.M. and wake up to a beying dog, not fun.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I don't care if it's day or night -- it's irresponsible for dog owners to let their dogs bark for any length if time (over a few minutes, IMO). I would definitely keep lodging formal complaints with the police as well as contact animal control because as others have mentioned, the dog may be mistreated (though I didn't see where it said in the OP that the dog is chained outside all day. But regardless, I thinks it's not fair to have an outside-only dog except in very rare circumstances.)

Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I guess I was lucky, as I had a mere 7 months of two extremely loud, barking GSDs outside my bedroom window every night. They were sweethearts during the day, very affectionate and all that, but nighttime turned them into evil barking *******s.

Receiving no cooperation from the renters next door, I turned it over to animal control for the noise and the city for having too many dogs. Between the two agencies, the result was the renters got rid of the GSDs and kept the quieter three dogs.

I was greatly amused when, about a year later, the neighbor on THEIR bedroom side got a loud dog that barked all night. I never heard it, but they sure did. Paybacks are a *****.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I thinks it's not fair to have an outside-only dog except in very rare circumstances.)
It is sad, isn't it? At our last place our neighbors had a BEAUTIFUL red husky and he was kenneled 24/7 365...so sad, I made sure to go and give him some attention everyday after I got home from work, he knew my car eventually and was so excited to see me

Old 07-30-2010, 08:43 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times

What's the point of having a dog if it's left outside all day? Dogs are social creatures. Plus, the weather in many places is not conducive to a 100% outside dog. When I lived in southern NM I saw so many strays and outside-only dogs. It could get to 105 degrees or so during the day!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
What's the point of having a dog if it's left outside all day?
Exactly, that's what I always ask. My dogs are two LARGE dogs (Dobe, GS) and they are strictly inside dogs.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
My dogs only go outside to do their business and chase frogs. Weeks , maybe months go by without hearing them bark. They do not bark at strangers. They may growl at them but they do not bark unless the stranger makes a threatening move or they hear something that goes bump in the night. My dogs are fiercely protective but they are not annoying. People should not let their dogs go on annoying other people. As soon as I hear them barking I get up an see what went bump in the night (its most often the cats- up to mischief again).

Animal control in some cities are not as effective as others. Here in Houston they come the same day. Back in San Antonio you were lucky if they ever show up (they left a dead cat 3 days on our lawn before moving it ). But I think that is the best bet. I would keep calling until they came, and I would get the neighbors to call too. Dogs are not a security system. They are part of the family that just happen to be on a the protective side. My Mastiff sleeps under my bed, my boxer sleeps under a chair and my bichon sleeps on my back. If you spend the time to give the dogs the love and training, there is no need to leave the dog out 24/7.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Thanks for all the responses guys! So, last night it happened again. I was woken up at about 4:20am by the same barking. My wife was already awake and she told me that it had been going for a couple hours and for once I had actually been sleeping through it.

I'm so fed up! I called the police for the forth time (2nd time in 2 weeks) and told them that I didn't like to keep wasting their time, but I needed to know the best way to go about this. She said that she would go ahead and send a police officer over. She also said that she would print out a log of the complaints I've made previously and forward them to animal control and have them contact me since they will be best able to handle the situation.

Personally, I feel that it's somewhat chicken s*** for me to call the police like that, but the fact is I've already talked to them about it and that didn't work. I don't know them well enough to know what they're capable of and I don't want them to try to retaliate against us or my dog. I'm trying to stay anonymous for that reason.

I think when I talk to animal control I'm also going to express the other concerns regarding the dog. Although it's a pit bull and looks very intimidating (its head is the size of a basketball!), it's actually a very friendly dog. It always whimpers on the other side of the fence when I'm working in the yard because it just wants some attention. It's literally outside all the time and I don't even know if it's got shelter. Up until about two months ago, the yard was completely overgrown with 4-5' tall weeds. The neighbors finally hired somebody to clean it up though. The dog literally gets almost no attention, except when it's being yelled at. The other day, one of their kids was outside telling the dog he was a bad dog. They give it no attention and just leave it in the backyard all day, so anything "bad" it does is just a result of their neglect!

So, hopefully after dealing with animal control, this situation works itself out without any hassle from our neighbors.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Just a thought, but why are you waiting for animal control to contact you? A direct call to them (vs the police) during the business week (when they are the most staffed) would be the quickest and most effective approach. They have lots of activity going on. You could be waiting awhile perhaps if you just wait for them to contact you. Give them a call! They are your best resource, not the police in the middle of the night. Don't wait, go for it. You're in the right here. Good luck.

(And if you're concerned about retaliation toward your dog, tell AC that. When they contact the owner, they can convey something to the owner about the ramifications of that type of response and this could be a preemptive strike...just sayin...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs