Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,334 times

Advertisements

We have a Springer Spaniel and a Pointer. Neither one has been professionally groomed, ever. We have a set of clippers and we always clip the spaniel's coat ourselves in the summer. It's extremely easy to do. I think we got the clippers for about $70. We also strip the coat on the pointer (wirehaired) as needed, trim their nails, brush their teeth, express the anal glands (your vet can show you how to do it), and bathe them as needed (usually once a month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
Never.

I have a Siberian Husky. He gets a bath about 2 times a year. The rest of the time, it's just me brushing him out and occasionally wiping him down. I do have the vet clip his nails.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
sadie gets a haircut every summer - just a shave, basically. we could probably do it ourselves but eh, we don't. she doesn't really need to have her nails clipped cause she walks on a giant emery board (aka the sidewalk) every day.

we give her a bath when she gets smelly, which is every month or so, or when she gets really dirty.

sometimes i wonder how long her fur would grow if we didn't give her a haircut. she's a non-shedder, possibly part poodle, so it would probably get pretty long.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM

50 posts, read 159,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Our poodle gets a full service grooming every four months. We bathe him at home once in a while.
I cut my own hair. The wife only gets the tips trimmed once a year or so, does that her self. Bear reaps by our savings.

Four months for a poodle? Doesn't he get matted?

We had adopted our dog from someone who hadn't had him groomed in three months and he was covered in bruises and scabs and open sores under the major mats from just three months. But then again the people said they had been washing him at home so when we got to the groomer they said he was "Solid". Even though he looked clean up top, his bottom/inside coat was nasty and you couldn't even put a comb to the skin. Groomer said they had been making the matting tighter and tighter along the skin by not being brushed and just washed. She showed us the one piece she took off and it felt like a tightly knit rug that wouldn't come apart!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:37 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
Four months for a poodle? Doesn't he get matted?

We had adopted our dog from someone who hadn't had him groomed in three months and he was covered in bruises and scabs and open sores under the major mats from just three months. But then again the people said they had been washing him at home so when we got to the groomer they said he was "Solid". Even though he looked clean up top, his bottom/inside coat was nasty and you couldn't even put a comb to the skin. Groomer said they had been making the matting tighter and tighter along the skin by not being brushed and just washed. She showed us the one piece she took off and it felt like a tightly knit rug that wouldn't come apart!
Yep. I was warned by a groomer when I got my first poodle many years ago that bathing the dog without combing all mats out first would make the situation far worse.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
We don't take Willie to be groomed anymore, now that he's banned from Petco. We only took him for nail trimmings, anyway. He doesn't really require much by way of bathing for his short, beagle coat, and we can easily do it on the rare occasion it is needed.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
We do it ourselves. In the summer we do it in the backyard. In the winter, we do it at the local self-serve dogwash place for 15 bucks.

We have two collies (one of whom has to have rinse repeat rinse repeat with medicated shampoo), but we'd still rather do it ourselves because

1. The price is a rip
2. My dogs don't seem very happy to be going there - makes me wonder how they are treated, as they usually love going everywhere
3. We like to wash them pretty often and aren't willing to throw that money down the drain. Ha ha ha...get it? Down the drain?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We don't take Willie to be groomed anymore, now that he's banned from Petco. We only took him for nail trimmings, anyway. He doesn't really require much by way of bathing for his short, beagle coat, and we can easily do it on the rare occasion it is needed.
LMAO!!! Willie is banned from Petco? What post did I miss?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
We do every 4 weeks for a small dog who gets trimmed up and wondering what everyone else does.
We get our little guy done every 10 weeks or so, but should do it a little more often I think. He hates to ever be brushed so we don't like to put him under any undo pressure. At least he loves riding in the car and he likes the groomer, just not the process.

Nita

Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,742 times
Nope. Hubby & I are their parents...so we take them to the self serve dog wash.

They supply the 8 choices of shampoo and the conditioner.
Plastic aprons for the parents to wear.
They insist you wash your dog twice.
They also supply the wash cloth, towels, rubber scrubber/massager, chamois.
Clean combs & brushes of all types, even furminators.
Rubber matts in bottom of tub for no slips.
Tubs are up high so parents don't have to bend over.
Water temp/pressure is always the same, which is wonderful.
Sprayer hose is great. Has an on/off switch control that you can control with one hand.
Glo coat to spray on your dog, if you like.
Special hair dryers set up directly across the room from your dog tub to dry your fur babies.
Spray cologne if you like for your dog.

Ohhhh.... did I mention as many dog cookies as your dog would like.
AND... you don't clean up your wet dog hair mess. They get in there...clean the tub & make the tub clean, fresh & sparkle again, for the next lucky dog.

All for $20.00 per dog.
If you rescue a dog, your first visit is free.
What a deal.

Not just that....but by washing your own dogs...you have the advantage if there is a new lump or bump, you'll know it. Not many groomers tell you that.

We LOVE that place & the dogs really look forward to it.
After were finished with baths we take the dogs out to lunch. They usually get a hamburger.
Even tho it's fast food...our kids don't eat that stuff very often, just when it's bath time :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs