Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LMAO!!! Willie is banned from Petco? What post did I miss?

He forgot to bring his PALS card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Nope. Hubby & I are their parents...so we take them to the self serve dog wash.

They supply the 8 choices of shampoo and the conditioner.
Plastic aprons for the parents to wear.
They insist you wash your dog twice.
They also supply the wash cloth, towels, rubber scrubber/massager, chamois.
Clean combs & brushes of all types, even furminators.
Rubber matts in bottom of tub for no slips.
Tubs are up high so parents don't have to bend over.
Water temp/pressure is always the same, which is wonderful.
Sprayer hose is great. Has an on/off switch control that you can control with one hand.
Glo coat to spray on your dog, if you like.
Special hair dryers set up directly across the room from your dog tub to dry your fur babies.
Spray cologne if you like for your dog.

Ohhhh.... did I mention as many dog cookies as your dog would like.
AND... you don't clean up your wet dog hair mess. They get in there...clean the tub & make the tub clean, fresh & sparkle again, for the next lucky dog.

All for $20.00 per dog.
If you rescue a dog, your first visit is free.
What a deal.

Not just that....but by washing your own dogs...you have the advantage if there is a new lump or bump, you'll know it. Not many groomers tell you that.

We LOVE that place & the dogs really look forward to it.
After were finished with baths we take the dogs out to lunch. They usually get a hamburger.
Even tho it's fast food...our kids don't eat that stuff very often, just when it's bath time :-)

i am SO going to have to take bailey and dave to this place..... maybe one of these days on the way home from the dog park in defiance.... they'll be good and tired then too.....

Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
LMAO!!! Willie is banned from Petco? What post did I miss?
Yup, we've always taken him to our local Petco's grooming shop to get his nails trimmed, and we took him a few weeks ago. It was about an hour from close, and we were the only ones in. I was browsing some merchandise adjacent to the shop, and glanced up and saw, through the window, both groomers wrestling with him, and they had put a muzzle on him. He was freaking out. J was at the checkout paying for the grooming, and I alerted him, and we went in to see what was up. The one chick was pissed, and said, "We can't handle him...he went crazy and tried to bite." One nail was bleeding, and I'm sure that she cut a nail too short and he freaked out. I'm not totally disbelieving that he snapped if that was the case, but I've also never, ever seen him snap at anybody, ever. I think that the real problem was, as was immediately evident by the stench of the place, that he expressed ALL over her...and trust me, I've smelled the result, and it IS assuredly repulsive. Anyhow, she recommended that we "use the vet from now on," and flagged Willie in their system.

Petco wouldn't refund the cost of the grooming, either, which J had just paid, but they did give us store credit.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 AM

50 posts, read 159,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yup, we've always taken him to our local Petco's grooming shop to get his nails trimmed, and we took him a few weeks ago. It was about an hour from close, and we were the only ones in. I was browsing some merchandise adjacent to the shop, and glanced up and saw, through the window, both groomers wrestling with him, and they had put a muzzle on him. He was freaking out. J was at the checkout paying for the grooming, and I alerted him, and we went in to see what was up. The one chick was pissed, and said, "We can't handle him...he went crazy and tried to bite." One nail was bleeding, and I'm sure that she cut a nail too short and he freaked out. I'm not totally disbelieving that he snapped if that was the case, but I've also never, ever seen him snap at anybody, ever. I think that the real problem was, as was immediately evident by the stench of the place, that he expressed ALL over her...and trust me, I've smelled the result, and it IS assuredly repulsive. Anyhow, she recommended that we "use the vet from now on," and flagged Willie in their system.

Petco wouldn't refund the cost of the grooming, either, which J had just paid, but they did give us store credit.

Reminds me once at petsmart when I was checking out they had put this yellow lab mix looking dog on the table. He was maybe 60-70lbs. The woman goes to just pickup a foot and this dog just snaps his teeth right in her face and just snarling at her!!!! It was maybe an inch away from biting her face! Craziest thing I'd seen there and the whole time the only thing that had happened is the dog jumped on the table and she put the neck thing on him and picked up a foot. He looked happy and wagging his tail. This lady didn't even have the nail trimmers in her hand yet. Yikes! The owners actually had just finished paying(person in front of us) and they got so angry at this girl saying she was being abusive and we had this Huge scene where the owner of the dog started screaming at this girl who was maybe 18yo if that. They gave her the money back and everything but she was angry still. And they hadn't even trimmed any nails.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
I haven't taken my mini schnauzer Edison to get groomed by a pro for a couple of months now. I took him 3 times in the time I've had him (he's now 1 year, 3 months) and we got him when he was 4 months old.
I like doing the grooming and I have the grooming arm that I attach to a table we have and the hubby lends a helping hand to get him to stay still if needed. Need to buy better clippers though and will be looking into the recommendations by others here in the forum. The first cut was awful but I'm getting much better at it and reaping the savings! I will still take Edison to the vet for his gland expression though.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Aw geez! Poor Willie!

When we adopted Artie, I was told that nail clipping was his least favorite thing to have done. Although I can't imagine that he LOVES getting his anal sacs expressed -- and I've seen him pulling the vet tech in the wrong direction, AWAY from the room where they do that deed. But anyway... because of what I was told, I only let the vet (or vet tech, rather) clip his nails.

Willie will be happier having his mani/pedi done by a vet tech, anyway. You'll see. Screw Petco if they can't do a simple job right.

PS. Yeah, I've smelled the result of the expressing. It's disgusting. But the groomer should be used to dealing with that sort of stuff. Sheesh!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Aw geez! Poor Willie!

When we adopted Artie, I was told that nail clipping was his least favorite thing to have done. Although I can't imagine that he LOVES getting his anal sacs expressed -- and I've seen him pulling the vet tech in the wrong direction, AWAY from the room where they do that deed. But anyway... because of what I was told, I only let the vet (or vet tech, rather) clip his nails.

Willie will be happier having his mani/pedi done by a vet tech, anyway. You'll see. Screw Petco if they can't do a simple job right.

PS. Yeah, I've smelled the result of the expressing. It's disgusting. But the groomer should be used to dealing with that sort of stuff. Sheesh!
and at least that aroma will dissipate fairly quickly ..... when bailey got skunked in early may, i had them at the groomers by 8:00 AM .... picked them up just before 6 that evening and the poor groomer said that the ENTIRE back room / grooming area STILL reeked of skunk.....

and fwiw .... i can still catch a teeny tiny whiff of it around her head when she is wet or the air is VERY humid ..... this after 3 months......

Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and at least that aroma will dissipate fairly quickly ..... when bailey got skunked in early may, i had them at the groomers by 8:00 AM .... picked them up just before 6 that evening and the poor groomer said that the ENTIRE back room / grooming area STILL reeked of skunk.....

and fwiw .... i can still catch a teeny tiny whiff of it around her head when she is wet or the air is VERY humid ..... this after 3 months......
Seriously??? That's CRAZY!

By the way, I don't know if I've ever REALLY smelled skunk, but when I have -- at maybe because it's from an old spray -- I think it smells like pumpkin seeds. Everyone who I've been with at the time is gagging, and I think it smells like pumpkin seeds. I guess that's why I can get my nose right up in Artie's business to determine if his sacs need expressing -- apparently, I have a nose of steel.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM

228 posts, read 460,574 times
Never get my dog proffesionally groomed. Sorry, but just doesnt seem right.

i also dont do clothes on animals!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM

228 posts, read 460,574 times
By the way, does anyone else have a labordor retriever who likes to grab turtles and bring them inside the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs