Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

We got our first one at 5 and a half weeks and she did absolutely great. She's 9 now and she's the most well-behaved, well-adjusted dog I know.

Then again, she did have three adults providing her 24/7 care and another adult coming in from out of the house...this dog got toilet training down in 3 weeks. Amazing. By the time she was one, she could be left alone in the house entirely without chewing, messing, digging, stealing...to this day she has the run of the whole house 24/7.

We got our second pup at 12 weeks and I kind of wish we'd gotten her earlier so we could have had more of an influence on her sociability and personality. Some parts of her seemed 'set' already when we got her and she's a great dog, but it's been a little more difficult. Who knows...it may have been that way no matter what, but I feel like the lateness of when we got her had something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We got our first one at 5 and a half weeks and she did absolutely great. She's 9 now and she's the most well-behaved, well-adjusted dog I know.

Then again, she did have three adults providing her 24/7 care and another adult coming in from out of the house...this dog got toilet training down in 3 weeks. Amazing. By the time she was one, she could be left alone in the house entirely without chewing, messing, digging, stealing...to this day she has the run of the whole house 24/7.

We got our second pup at 12 weeks and I kind of wish we'd gotten her earlier so we could have had more of an influence on her sociability and personality. Some parts of her seemed 'set' already when we got her and she's a great dog, but it's been a little more difficult. Who knows...it may have been that way no matter what, but I feel like the lateness of when we got her had something to do with it.
You got very lucky. Every single person that knows anything at all - just the basics of dog psychology and training will tell you that you did a major injustice to your dog by taking it from it's mother too early. It's nothing to be proud of and not the outcome 99% of the time.

You also didn't have her housebroken at 8 weeks. Not that I'm saying you're lying, just that it's not physiologically possible. Their body isn't capable of telling them they need to go to the bathroom yet, so they're not capable of telling you they need to go out. You simply had enough people in the house that were able to take the puppy out on a regular enough basis that there were no accidents in the house. But the puppy was most definitely not housebroken.

A dog's personality is somewhat set at birth, but the total temperament and behavior of the dog takes months to truly develop. It had nothing to do with taking it away from it's mother too early.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM

47 posts, read 161,562 times
should be 8 weeks and yes this is why Pits get a bad rap because people like this!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
We had PC housebroken by 4 mos and never crated. He never chewed a thing even as a puppy. We did not get him at 5 weeks. One does not need to get a puppy that young to avoid behavioral issues. Just sayin'.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You got very lucky. Every single person that knows anything at all - just the basics of dog psychology and training will tell you that you did a major injustice to your dog by taking it from it's mother too early. It's nothing to be proud of and not the outcome 99% of the time.

You also didn't have her housebroken at 8 weeks. Not that I'm saying you're lying, just that it's not physiologically possible. Their body isn't capable of telling them they need to go to the bathroom yet, so they're not capable of telling you they need to go out. You simply had enough people in the house that were able to take the puppy out on a regular enough basis that there were no accidents in the house. But the puppy was most definitely not housebroken.

A dog's personality is somewhat set at birth, but the total temperament and behavior of the dog takes months to truly develop. It had nothing to do with taking it away from it's mother too early.
It was either take her or leave her where she was...I think she was way better off with us taking her. Normally I'd say 8 weeks is my ideal, too.

Neurological development of puppies is more complex than you might think...

Puppy Development Stages and Puppy Growth

Spontaneous elimination usually ends around 3 weeks, at which points puppies will leave their bedding and attempt to eliminate elsewhere.

And I agree...the fact that people were there very regularly taking her out probably has the most to do with why she never went in the house.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Well anyway I messaged the person and she told me and very nicely I may add that they puppy was the runt of 12 and not getting proper nourishment. So if this is true then I guess more power to her. I can only hope so since I am not seeing this situation in person.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,273,413 times
NO-WAY !!!
Unless the Mother has died.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
I'm in AZ. Tell me where they live and I'll go put the smack down on them!

No, really. I have some aggression I need to get out.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post

You too, eh? I'll hop in the car and head over. We'd make a great team today!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You too, eh? I'll hop in the car and head over. We'd make a great team today!

i'll meet ya' along the way mrs ..... i could use some stress reduction myself.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs