Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times

Advertisements

I am a breeder and my say is HELL NO! Dog may wean pups about them but that is it. Socialization from the mom is 6-8 weeks old where the mom teaches right from wrong. Large dogs 8 weeks minimum though know many say 7 which I dislike. Small breed dogs I do not breed but have heard 12 weeks for them.
Only way take a pup at that age would be a life or death situation and would hope had another dog at the house who has the mom qualities that would help teach. All my dogs help in the socialization of pups before leave house male and female. They play and do not let pups get to rough without showing them not ok.

If this dog was the runt supplemental feeding was needed. That large of a litter mother should been getting fed puppy chow and milk to help produce enough and pups could been giving extra also by hand even though bottle feeding is a pain, to keep stress off mother and have healthy litter need to do it at times. They will start off drinking from bowl soon enough and we have mixed milk and puppy chow and blended it to get them started on more solid food also.

Hope these people spayed this mother now also as have no clue what doing with breeding. If did would have known approximate litter size and been prepared with puppy milk and colostrum replacer so all had gotten what needed when born as such a large litter hard on mom to produce enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
I just saw a friend of mine post about boxer pups, 5 1/2 weeks he's trying to get rid of. I had to say something after seeing this post and knowing far to many pups that are given away WAY to early. I don't know if he'll reply back to me because multiple people already have said they'll take one or know someone that will take one. Someone had the balls to mention craigslist and I told him not only is 5 1/2 weeks to early to take away from mom and litter mates that putting them on craigslist is a death sentence especially in our neighborhood with dog fighting.

I hope he listens to me. He's a sweet guy and I just don't think he can afford to take care of them anymore, or he is spreading the word thru a friend of his.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Can ya help friend out and buy a bag of puppy chow or have him make a waiting list and small deposit so can get some?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Can ya help friend out and buy a bag of puppy chow or have him make a waiting list and small deposit so can get some?
I'm waiting on him to reply back to me. I hope he does because I don't want to see those pups be screwed up later in life because he couldn't afford their first set of shots.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Nice to have a friend that cares. I have bought food and gave milk to others that just needed that extra hand and then back on feet. Way life is things happen that we cannot control and having friends helps immensely.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nice to have a friend that cares. I have bought food and gave milk to others that just needed that extra hand and then back on feet. Way life is things happen that we cannot control and having friends helps immensely.
Well not only did he not respond to my emails, he left a comment just a few minutes ago about how many pups he had to give away. This truly hurts my heart that he seems to not even want to be willing to listen to my suggestions at this point. I cannot continue to be friends with a person like that and know those pups might have a hard life down the road because they were not given the amount of care and socialization from their mother that they would have gotten if he kept them until at least 8 weeks old.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Sorry Jaime, but at least you attempted to help and they decided against it. Cannot blame you for dropping the friendship and this person does not care.
Hopefully gets rid of all their pets.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry Jaime, but at least you attempted to help and they decided against it. Cannot blame you for dropping the friendship and this person does not care.
Hopefully gets rid of all their pets.
Sounded to me like they're keeping mama and one pup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs