Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times

Advertisements

Help, how can I fix this?

This started last fall when an off-leash dog aggressively charged her and head butted her to the point that my dog's tooth was driven into her cheek, requiring surgery

Since then she's been very reactive when dogs run up to her suddenly, or when they put their face right near hers. She actually loves other dogs but there seems to be a line that they cross, and when they get that close she snarls. Fortunately it's a warning snarl and she's never attacked anyone or any dog...but is that just a matter of time?

I don't even take her to the dog park anymore except for around 7 a.m. when nobody is there, and I stand by the gate. I have taken her a couple of times since this happened and she's been great with the other dogs, but I'm just afraid of what could happen, and lately this problem has been getting worse.

Last month yet another off leash dog ran up to her quickly - this time a wolfhound who just wanted to play but was huge.

Just before, my dog snarled at her favorite dog friend for putting his face near hers.

How can I train this out of her? The wolfhound incident was in our obedience class! She's been worse since the class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times
Find someone with a dog who is willing to work with you. Slowly lead your dog towards the other dog. If your dog shows aggression then immediately correct her. If your dog does a good job then reward her with treats. Eventually she should learn to associate dogs being around as a good thing.

One of our dogs has leash aggression issues, but he loves to be off leash and play with dogs. We lead him towards other dogs. If he growls then he gets nothing (we turn away from the dogs and ignore them). Eventually he learns that it is boring when he can't play so he calms down and can be released to go play. He has improved a lot since we got him.

Just my suggestion.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
How big is your dog?
What kind is it?
How old is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs