Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The law clarifies that IDALS has the authority to enter a federally licensed breeding facility upon a complaint to ensure the health and welfare of the animals there. "The good news is the vast majority of animal shelters, pet shops, kennels and breeders obey the existing animal protection laws, and those facilities have nothing to fear from this legislation," Culver said in a statement. "But, for any facility operating as a 'puppy mill' or raising companion animals in unhygienic and inhumane settings, now is the time to change course, or pay the consequences. This law expands protections of vulnerable animals, and provides assurance to Iowa families that the pets they adopt are healthy, clean, and have been raised humanely."

Commercial establishments, including breeders, dealers and pet shops, will pay a $175 annual fee, which will help fund state inspectors..
Office of Governor Chet Culver and Lt. Governor Patty Judge (http://www.governor.iowa.gov/index.php/press_releases/single/394/ - broken link)

this is very importian .. most of these "Millers" wont like to pay that amount of money so there is away to shut them down ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
"The law clarifies that IDALS has the authority to enter a federally licensed breeding facility upon a complaint to ensure the health and welfare of the animals there."

It would seem that IDALS would be the correct place to start contact.

Horse & Dog Breeding
Wallace State Office Building
502 E. 9th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
515-281-4103

link of e-mail contacts here:
Bureau Contact Listings

Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,328 times
They don't sound abused to me. If your husband didn't think they looked underfed or anything. Just having a lot of dogs, and having them in crates or enclosures isn't abuse. Not having food visible doesn't mean anything, do you leave food out for your dog(s) all day? I don't, nor do many dog owners. Are we abusing our dogs by feeding them daily meals at set times? Food left out all day can become unsanitary, attract flies, ants, and so on, so it sounds like he's doing the right thing by not having it sitting out.

As to being able to run loose, do you know for sure that they are never allowed out? How long was your husband observing them? Not seeing them let out for half an hour on one day doesn't mean they never get out. Having 100 dogs loose together in a yard unsupervised sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! Especially if they're breeding dogs, you wouldn't want the males & females mixing randomly.

If the dogs weren't obviously injured, or starving, or otherwise *obviously* suffering, I see no need to harrass the poor man. People these days are so quick to condemn others based on brief observation and incomplete information, and emotion. Please look at the facts, and don't jump to emotional conclusions.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
They don't sound abused to me. If your husband didn't think they looked underfed or anything. Just having a lot of dogs, and having them in crates or enclosures isn't abuse. Not having food visible doesn't mean anything, do you leave food out for your dog(s) all day? I don't, nor do many dog owners. Are we abusing our dogs by feeding them daily meals at set times? Food left out all day can become unsanitary, attract flies, ants, and so on, so it sounds like he's doing the right thing by not having it sitting out.

As to being able to run loose, do you know for sure that they are never allowed out? How long was your husband observing them? Not seeing them let out for half an hour on one day doesn't mean they never get out. Having 100 dogs loose together in a yard unsupervised sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! Especially if they're breeding dogs, you wouldn't want the males & females mixing randomly.

If the dogs weren't obviously injured, or starving, or otherwise *obviously* suffering, I see no need to harrass the poor man. People these days are so quick to condemn others based on brief observation and incomplete information, and emotion. Please look at the facts, and don't jump to emotional conclusions.
I'm hoping that you misread the post. Let me summarize what the OP said.

100 dogs - this is a red flag for either hoarding or a breeding facility

All in SMALL CAGES - this is a large red flag to a puppy mill operation.
No responsible breeder keeps their dogs in small cages. Yes they keep them separated but not in small cages. I don't know of any responsible breeder that keeps 100 dogs either. This is a COMMERCIAL OPERATION, i.e. A PUPPY MILL!

Finally, you are correct that no one I know leaves food out but constant access to clean water IS required.

To the OP - definately, definately voice your concerns to the appropriate authority and then follow up! Thank you for caring enough to get involved. Puppies are NOT products!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 08-06-2010 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post

I think that you need to go back to the previous page and read the article about the law that was passed in the OP's state. All commercial breeders in Iowa must have a permit and are subject to inspection upon complaint. The OP stated that it appeared that the dogs had no water; that is a violation. The OP also stated that they were confined to their cages. If the dogs are given no exercise or socialization, that is also a violation. It isn't even certain if the breeder that the OP's husband witnessed is registered. But calling officials and making sure that they inspect the facilities is not hurting anyone nor is it harassment. In the state of Iowa, any commercial breeder is subject to inspection at anytime, and any reputable breeder would have no reason to object and would be thankful that the authorities are doing their job and protecting against those who do not follow the law.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM

119 posts, read 467,988 times
Thank everyone for their advice on this issue. From what I understand from the authorities is that they will check to make sure the gentleman has the proper license and permits and that the animals are well taken care of. If things are being done properly they will not harass the man at all but if there is inhumane treatment or neglect then they will call in the proper authorities and handle the situation.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Thank everyone for their advice on this issue. From what I understand from the authorities is that they will check to make sure the gentleman has the proper license and permits and that the animals are well taken care of. If things are being done properly they will not harass the man at all but if there is inhumane treatment or neglect then they will call in the proper authorities and handle the situation.
One of the ways that you (or your husband) can help is to take a "phone camera" if you can get close to this facility. With a phone, you can click away without it being realized what you are doing. One of the biggest problems I've seen is that some of the bigger operations have the local politicians in their back pockets. They contribute heavily to campaigns of those people that will look the other way.

If you or anyone else CAN get pictures of the horrible conditions, bypass the authorities and take the pictures directly to the media (Local TV stations are the best). The more media attention there is on these animal concentration camps, the better the chance of getting legislation passed that will shut them down!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
One of the ways that you (or your husband) can help is to take a "phone camera" if you can get close to this facility. With a phone, you can click away without it being realized what you are doing. One of the biggest problems I've seen is that some of the bigger operations have the local politicians in their back pockets. They contribute heavily to campaigns of those people that will look the other way.

If you or anyone else CAN get pictures of the horrible conditions, bypass the authorities and take the pictures directly to the media (Local TV stations are the best). The more media attention there is on these animal concentration camps, the better the chance of getting legislation passed that will shut them down!
It would seem the OP has already contacted the proper authorities and that they will be addressing the situation to ensure the animals' safety. Are you actually suggesting that now she or her husband interfere with an ongoing investigation?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
This was on the news and in my local paper today.

Crews Rescue Dogs from Filthy N.J. Home (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/crews-rescue-dogs-from-filthy-nj-home-20100805-akd - broken link)

All the 'owner' did was feed them. There wasnt a huge amount (26+) but that's a lot for anyone. Thank goodness the neighbors finally complained. The poor dogs lived in small cages full w/ feces. It's no life. Why 'adopt' them if she can't care for them. Many are near death, can't walk, have mange and who knows what else - very sad situation. Personally, I hope they throw the book at her.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
Amish in Wisconsin have been busted a few times for puppy mills. Call them in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs