Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times

Advertisements

I would love another dog - a red male husky : )
Wouldn't go into someone's yard and take a dog - that's not right.
It's possible the people may have just moved there from an area that was considered much safer and they just weren't aware of that happening in their new surroundings?
I have a neighbor that unless she's at work, her dogs are outside all the time even if it's pouring rain or a snow storm. True, we both have fenced yards. Hers is more the visible type. There's no telling what can fly or climb into your yard, or even slither (shuddering). I'm of the type that will keep an eye on mine from time to time if they're outside but mostly I'm right there and they are adult dogs now. I personally couldn't leave a puppy out of my sight for that long of a time, but then, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM

408 posts, read 809,682 times
Quote:
That would drive me crazy. Have NEVER understood why people own dogs just to keep them segrated and confined with minimal human contact. Dogs are social creatures; they belong with people, not chained at the far end of a yard.
I feel the same way...so sad.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
I would have to say my dogs are my babies but they are also outside in our fenced-in area during the day while we are at work. We live in a rural area so crime is not rampant and I think having a yard to run around in is much better than in a tiny crate all day. My dogs have a huge dog house and a really big tree that offers lots of shade. We got my Buddy when he was 8 weeks old and he started outside right away(with supervision the first few days to make sure he couldnt escape or get hurt). There is nothing wrong with having your fur babies outside during the day while you are gone(they wouldnt have any human contact anyway) as long as they are safe, well fed and watered. I do think it is very important to give them as much human contact as possible when you are home though.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
There's no telling what can fly or climb into your yard, or even slither (shuddering). I'm of the type that will keep an eye on mine from time to time if they're outside but mostly I'm right there and they are adult dogs now. I personally couldn't leave a puppy out of my sight for that long of a time, but then, that's just me.
Those things that fly and scurry and slither into my yard are history. Its not the dogs Im worried about.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
It is so easy to judge without knowing all the circumstances.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 AM

354 posts, read 712,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I understand your frustration, but a puppy is hardly a human infant.
At 2 months I dont think leaving it out, provided it has water and shelter, for 2.5 hours in a fenced yard abuse.

My dogs are basically all outside dogs. I let them hang inside on occasion but they are adapted and enjoy being outside. I would also assume my puppy would be safe within a fenced yard.
Sorry, maybe I am a tad 'new age' or out there in my methods, but dogs are social animals and thus need social contact with their pack--their pack is their human family. Why get a dog if you are going to leave it out in the backyard all day? An eight week old puppy is really a baby. Not a human baby, but not old enough to be left alone to its own devices for hours at a time. They need training and socialization. Leaving a puppy alone outside tells me that not a whole lot of training and socialization is going on with concern to the puppy. Ask yourself, if you went to a rescue to get a puppy, and you wrote down that you would be leaving the puppy outdoors and maybe checking on it every three or four hours--do you think they would adopt to the likes of you? I don't think so. When I filled out the rescue app. for my dogs,when they were puppies, it specifically said that if the dogs would be left outside for any period they would not be adopting them out to someone who did that.
My dogs are inside dogs, are trained and socialized, and get love and attention all day--not just when I happen to step outside to make sure they not dead in the backyard yet. If cleanliness is your concern, pick up your broom, vacuum and mop and get to work more often. My house is clean, it takes a little more effort, but my dogs are worth it.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM

751 posts, read 1,674,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
It is so easy to judge without knowing all the circumstances.

I'm not judging.I just think it's wrong/or not in good judgement to leave a 8 week old puppy outside on it's own from 7:30 am until 10:30am and not check on it in between time is all.It's true it's not a human baby but it's a baby all the same.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
No circumstances here IMHO.

1.Dogs are social creatures, leaving them separated from the owner/family for periods of time, is just wrong.

2.While still a puppy, most dogs (if not all) love to play and if not supervised closely will get in trouble (eat what they shouldn't, go where they shouldn't, get hurt easily, etc.) they are still exploring everything and are very curious little puppies;

3.Some people should not have dogs - or any pets - for two reasons, either they don't know (and make no effort to learn) or they don't want to give them the attention they need.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
I would not leave a puppy in a yard but might if I were doing something and it had a dog pen. You just don't know all the circumstances.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
This is true^^. No matter what the reason the owner had for leaving his/her puppy outside, it does not justify or excuse someone taking it.

I get the feeling that the owner probably had it outside b/c puppies are not potty trained. Also, letting pup romp around outside is not unheard of. Granted, it isn't the smartest thing in the world; pup could have gotten into other harmful things, and it is not a good idea to leave puppies unattended. But I don't blame the owner for having his/her dog stolen b/c it was outside on the owner's property. Legally speaking, whoever took the dog trespassed, and I am not going to blame the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs