Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,684 times

Advertisements

It`s unbelivable... i heard that so many people in the States keep their dogs 24h a day in the condo and buy these indoor pet restrooms. If that would happen in germany, the neighbours would call the police or somebody else to pick up the dog.

I am from germany and i have a West Highland, my husband had 2 Old English Mastiffs. We both say, that when you don`t have time to keep a pet, then dont buy one.....

Melanie Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Everyone does have their own way, most people do not live on farms. My dogs don't stay in a crate all day. In fact, I have never used a crate with either of my dogs--but they are not a bad tool. They are potty trained and got that way via close supervision and the use of a baby gate when they were younger(which we no longer use).They get a walk in the morning, and usually a swim at the lake in the afternoon. On weekends we head down to the beach. They have a good life. I am not from here, but with the heat we have here, close to the Mexican border, you do not leave your dogs outside. DO NOT. Now it may be different there, but ACS(Animal Care services) will come around and cite you/pick up your animal if they are out in temps of 104 all day long. And I don't blame them. It sounds like your set up is ideal for you--it would most certainly not be here.

I didnt say your dogs did stay in crates, some people do create their dogs all day, some people have house dogs and some outside dogs. Just goes to show different strokes. But I dont judge people for their choice.
It has been between 98 and 101 where I live the past week. It is actually about as cool outside in the shade than it is in my house. What do the authorities do about people that work outside all day in 104 temps?
As much as I hate it for my animals to be in the heat, especially the horses, I have to wonder how that is abuse when both my sons work outside construction in this weather.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM

354 posts, read 712,408 times
Wow..no central air? Your tough, I'll give you that. Now that I have central AC I am spoiled...or a wimp! I keep the indoors at 75-76. As far as human beings working outside in that kind of heat...I wish they would keep it to the early am hours or later in the pm, but the difference between humans and dogs is that humans have the choice not to do it. Dogs don't have as much control over their circumstances. Is your farm a working one?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
It is not a 24/7 thing, of course not...

One obviously does not have to be with the dogs all the time, but leaving a dog out for an extended period of time, unsupervised, especially if it is a young dog, imo is wrong.

Some people just have dogs to leave them outside in the yard all day long!

Most dogs would want to stay near their owner, anyway. Mine like to play outside (perfectly fine by me as long as I can keep an eye on them), of course, but they stay with me/follow me all the time, however they may go wherever they want to.
I was beginning to get the impression that people never worked or let their dogs out of their sight. If it is bad to leave one, even a puppy, in a safe outdoor environment for 3 hours how in the world do people work and engage in other activities.

Of course it is bad to see dogs chained and kenneled all the time with no human interactions. I see it where I live and feel bad for the animals, but that is different than keeping dogs penned while you are working and outside as long as they get plenty interaction and socialization.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM

561 posts, read 1,513,210 times
There will always be those that shouldn't own pets of any kind, especially dogs. We can all split hairs to decide what qualifies as good pet care, but it's a wide spectrum. Leaving a 8 week puppy alone in a fenced yard for a few hours certainly is not abuse, but I wouldn't call it excellent care either. As long as no harm is done to the dog/pet, and they receive the needed food, shelter and healthcare, then all is good. Just like with parents of the two legged variety, there are good ones and not-so-good ones. I don't want to be too quick to judge. However, abusing any animal pushes my "red button" and I will respond. If you suspect a pet is abused, or receiving mistreatment, then by all means call and report it--just NEVER IGNORE it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Wow..no central air? Your tough, I'll give you that. Now that I have central AC I am spoiled...or a wimp! I keep the indoors at 75-76. As far as human beings working outside in that kind of heat...I wish they would keep it to the early am hours or later in the pm, but the difference between humans and dogs is that humans have the choice not to do it. Dogs don't have as much control over their circumstances. Is your farm a working one?
I envy you. One day I will have central air, divorce left me a little broke. I have an air conditioner but its not the same.

Its more of a hobby farm. Kind of my dream. I have chickens for eggs and goats for milk, guineas for bug control, horses because Im stupid.. Hope to get a few calves and raise them for the freezer if I dont get attached to them. That idea didnt work too well with the pig!

The dogs help guard the place and watch out for the other critters, but mostly they are just big babies. Same with the cats.

heres Tahlulla "helping" shovel mulch:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs