Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times

Advertisements

I have been struggling to find treats for Shadow since her pancreatitis. She has a laundry list of food allergies and now I have to keep her fat intake below 8%.

I was ordering her ostrich/emu but it is getting hard to find anyone who has it in stock. She loves dried sting ray tail, but she is missing having meaty treats. She used to eat bully sticks and pigs ears and venison jerky, all on her list of "sorry-Shadow-you-can't-have-that-kind-anymore-because-we-don't-want-you-to-die".

I stumbled across a site that exclusively does kangaroo treats for dogs. The exchange rate is pretty even and the treats are 2% fat (yay!).

Has anyone tried kangaroo for their dog? If so, did your dog like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Artie's never had kangaroo treats but I'm on the "let's keep Shadow healthy" train so I looked to see if they had any listed on eBay.

I don't know what price you found, but I found ONE listing, and it was for a 6oz. bag. It was $10.99... free shipping.

If that's a better price than you found, just type in kangaroo dog treats into eBay's search and it'll come up.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I order kangaroo and emu all the time for PC, they are his favorites. Here are the things I buy, the sausages are a huge hit in this house.

Kangaroo Sausage | All Dog Chews & Treats (http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_3079_22/kangaroo_sausage.html - broken link)

If you do a search for kangaroo, emu, ostrich on that site, you'll find tons of treats. They only sell high-quality treats, so you can be sure no other fillers are used.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM

MAK I have e-mailed those people a few times trying to get the fat content of the things that look like Shadow might like them. They keep telling me that they don't know. Is there any kind of nutrition labeling on the stuff you get?

Dawn (or Jeremy as the case may be) those treats are also on my radar. I have found them as low as $6.99.

Here is the stuff I am looking at http://roochoos.com.au/products.html

Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I just looked at the package. The one I posted above has 8% fat content. This is another one I have at home, and it's also 8%. I guess it's safe to assume all their kangaroo treats are 8%.

Kangaroo Disks Dog Treats | All Dog Chews & Treats (http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_3078_22/kangaroo_disks_dog_treats.html - broken link)

I'm shocked they wouldn't tell you what the fat content was, since it's right there on the label. They're usually very responsive to emails.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM

I got the impression that they didn't know. Here is the last response from them:

At this time we don't have any further info on fat content, as it becomes available we will keep you posted...We appreciate your business and support!

Thanks,

Best Bully's
bestbullysticks@gmail.com
Bully Sticks - All Natural Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick
blog: Best Bully Sticks Healthy Dog Blog
twitter: Avrum, Sushi, Espy (bestbullysticks) on Twitter
804.477.6033 (P)
877.483.5853 (TF)
Thank you for your Business and Support!

Thanks for looking at the package. I was very interested in those disks. Now I know she can eat them.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Can she eat chicken?

"Dogswell" does a chicken breast jerky. Fat content is listed as 1% minimum and 5% maximum (I've got the bags in front of me ). I suspect it might just vary with the individual piece.

However... the "Happy Hips" one has glucosamine & chondroitin (not sure if those are allowable or not) and added vitamin E. The "Happy Heart" one has flaxseed added as well as taurine, turmeric, cinnamon &.... dandelion - which, it has to be said, allows you to say to your dog: "Psst. Want some weed?"

Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Can she eat chicken?

"Dogswell" does a chicken breast jerky. Fat content is listed as 1% minimum and 5% maximum (I've got the bags in front of me ). I suspect it might just vary with the individual piece.

However... the "Happy Hips" one has glucosamine & chondroitin (not sure if those are allowable or not) and added vitamin E. The "Happy Heart" one has flaxseed added as well as taurine, turmeric, cinnamon &.... dandelion - which, it has to be said, allows you to say to your dog: "Psst. Want some weed?"
Hahahahahahaha!

Chicken is our worst allergy food, followed closely by wheat and lamb. My life would be ever so much simpler if she could eat chicken.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Update:

I e-mailed the folks at Roos Choos. They forwarded my e-mail to their American distributor. He offered to send me some samples to see if Shadow liked kangaroo.

Oh my! He sent A LOT of samples. He sent a pound of jerky, 6 foot long sausages, and an entire rib cage! Shadow loves, loves, loves the jerky. We will try the ribs tomorrow.

Bang for the buck this looks like an incredible place to order from. They appear to be very small and do not have a website. If anyone would like their phone number or e-mail just send me a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs