Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
puppy mill was my first thought when i read that there were FOURTEEN crates on the plane.....

and lord only knows what kind of shape they were in when loaded, if indeed it was a puppy mill shipping them out.....

sure hope we get further news as more is discovered......
Well just got this.
Looks like it was ONE shipper.

Also, the puppies were unloaded and taken direct to the climate controlled kennel area for animal. It was as they were being unloaded from the truck that they saw something wrong with the animals and implemented airport/airlines emergency procedures, including contacting the contracted vets alert them of the emergency and eta.

[quote=jaime_mac;15336680]Per the local Dallas news, NBC 5, cargo areas are NOT temperature controlled.[/quote]
Absolutely, 100% BULL!
The cargo holds are pressurized and temperature controlled (heated and air conditioned).

The airport has animal holding areas that are climate controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
This is terrible. I do know for a fact that quite a few pharmaceutical companies and freight forwarders refuse to use American Airlines due to temperature control issues.

Realizing that the airline may not be at fault here but they do have a bed rep for more than pet transport.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The facts are still not in. But we now know these were very young puppies, (rumor has it of different breeds - they are investigating if a puppy mill was the shipper) and they were tendered and loaded below the USDA temp limits. The planes log does show the forward compartment was pressurized and temp control. Front passengers did not complain of being hot which is the same temp as the forward hold. The dogs did not die on the aircraft but while enroute or at the vet. The airline personnel saw the pupppies didn't look right and assumed heat related issues. Nobody has yet said that the death was the result of heat or some other pre-existing illness. A bit premature to crusify the airlines. For all we know, the puppies could already have been sick and the observations of the airline staff prevented all of them from from dying. They might have died without ever setting foot on an airline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
puppy mill was my first thought when i read that there were FOURTEEN crates on the plane.....

and lord only knows what kind of shape they were in when loaded, if indeed it was a puppy mill shipping them out.....

sure hope we get further news as more is discovered......
Now that I'm reading they were all puppies, I'm thinking the same thing.

This is all I found so far:

American would not say if the puppies were being shipped by one owner or multiple owners. They did pay an additional fee to transport the dogs. No word if the airline will refund that fee. American charges $150 per container to place dogs in the airplane's cargo hold.

American Airlines: Puppies Die After Flight During Oklahoma Heat Wave - ABC News

Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I am just so sorry for both the dogs and their owners.

When I fly, either my dogs come with me in-cabin, or I would rather drive.

Airlines give dog owners a hard time, but I don't mind, I want them with me at all times.

I am just so sorry for the whole very, very sad situation.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
I wonder how long they say on the ground at the gates in the glaring sun waiting to be moved to their connecting gates in Chicago. And who's to say the temperature was regulated correctly in the cargo hatch.

What a tragic situation. I would never allow my dog to be flown in the summer nor in the middle of winter. Last time one had to travel, I drove. So sad for the poor puppies.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
Holding areas and inside the cargo carrier of a plane are two totally different things. When pets are flown in cargo, where your bags are flown, it is not pressurized or temp controlled.

Also most airlines have restrictions on flying pets by cargo during the summer months. Usually that restriction runs from the middle of May to the middle of September, because in Texas it is usually hot from May to September and even into October.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
When pets are flown in cargo, where your bags are flown, it is not pressurized or temp controlled.
I'm going to call you out Moderator cut: snip

FACT: Aircraft fuselages is a single pressurized vessel.

FACT: An un-pressurized cargo hold would equalize the pressure by ripping the skin off the plane.
and/or
FACT: Loss of pressure in the cargo hold would suck the pressure from the passenger cabin until equalized.

FACT: The air in the main cabin is circulated through the cargo hold to ensure pressurization of the cargo hold. Climate controlled cabin air in.

Moderator cut: snip , be prepared to back it up. Show or cite one technical document that can prove what you said. All your doing is repeating some lie for the purpose of scaring people and sensationalizing a tragedy.

I back up my claims by the technical specifications of every aircraft used in US commercial passenger service. You can obtain a copy on Boeings, Airbus, Canadair, Embracer, Saab, and even Delta's older MD's. at each manufactures website.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-05-2010 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: calm down,, no one is lying on purpose

Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I wonder how long they say on the ground at the gates in the glaring sun waiting to be moved to their connecting gates in Chicago.
Where in any news report did it even mention or hint that they were sitting anywhere in the glaring sun at gates waiting for connecting flights?

If you read the stories Moderator cut: snip you would read that they were removed immediately from the aircraft upon landing, taken to the on airport animal holding facility (indoors and air conditioned) where they were being processed for scheduling to their connecting flights. It was there that the personnel taking them off the truck got concerned.

I have not heard ONE person mention the quick action of the airline personnel handling the crates. that may have saved the lives of the other dogs.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 08-05-2010 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

I think some are talking about the hour delay before taking off. I need more facts, but cargo isn't usually removed immediately. The one time (and last time) I had a dog flown in cargo, he came AFTER the luggage. I'm glad some of the pups were saved by personnel, but I'm not about to get as hostile as you and EVER say I'll turn my head to an animal. What if it was someone turning their head on your animal or child? We're all here just speculating until we have all of the facts. The one fact we know is that 7 puppies died and that deserves some answers.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-05-2010 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Here is the FAA regulations. Please take a moment to read it if you have questions. Aviation Consumer Protection Division

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs