Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
When I fly, either my dogs come with me in-cabin, or I would rather drive.
Same here. My rule-of-thumb is this: Would I let a human child do it?

That's the same rule I apply to whether or not to allow a dog to ride in the bed of a pickup. Hence, no pickup bed rides for my dogs on streets and freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
One thing that is interesting is that American Airlines says on its page that it does NOT require a health certificate for dogs being transported.

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com

I don't know if that is a new thing or not but I thought health certificates were required for interstate travel.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM

354 posts, read 711,972 times
One of the commenters in the article mentioned something called Pet Airways. Right now, its only in a few cities, but apparently flies all dogs (not just the small ones) in the cabin.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
One thing that is interesting is that American Airlines says on its page that it does NOT require a health certificate for dogs being transported.

I don't know if that is a new thing or not but I thought health certificates were required for interstate travel.
they are ....

every single dog that i have ever transported has had one.....

Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,753 times
I have flown with dogs (in cabin!) and even so they must have updated proof of vaccinations and a vet document stating they are in good health.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 AM

I am just stating the requirement on the Am Airlines web page - they clearly state they do not require it; I have traveled several times in with a dog in cabin on US AIrways and have always been asked for one. Not requiring a health cert would be mighty handy for puppy mills. I doubt the state agencies are their enforcing any state laws re certificates.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Same here. My rule-of-thumb is this: Would I let a human child do it?

That's the same rule I apply to whether or not to allow a dog to ride in the bed of a pickup. Hence, no pickup bed rides for my dogs on streets and freeways.
The last puppy I got, I flew up, rented a car and drove back w/ him. I agree about dogs in back of pickups. That could be another thread.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

American Airlines does not require a health certificate for the acceptance of pets for travel in the cabin or as checked baggage within the 50 United States. However, we encourage you to contact your family veterinarian or state authorities directly for individual state requirements to avoid any possible inconvenience at your final destination. All states require proof of current rabies vaccination for dogs over 12 weeks old and some require proof of rabies vaccination for cats.

BBM - The airline may not require a health certificate, but the state does.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

I have never had a state official checking up on a dog when I traveled. It was always done by the airline at the ticket counter........

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM

293 posts, read 1,035,534 times
I can't imagine what the poor dogs went through. People need to be more careful. Of course, never put a dog in the back of a pickup. That is just as bad. If he can't fit in the car, leave them at home, safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs